I like *this* so recommend me.....

epicfantasyfreak

Journeyed there and back again
Sean Russell is the author that comes to mind for me in terms of being closest to Tad Williams (though I've only read Memory, Sorrow, Thorn and War of the Flowers from Tad) in style. He's also great at characterization. His Swans' War trilogy is his only non-Asian fantasy written without a co-author, so perhaps start there, if you give his work a go. I liked Memory, Sorrow, Thorn, but find Russell to be far better than Williams.

Sanderson is very popular around here, but I don't consider him to have finished anything yet (other than the two standalones Tom mentions above), which is why I haven't read his work yet (other than his finale of Wheel of Time, which I didn't like). Technically, he did finish the first part of Mistborn (trilogy, I think), though him having announce that there's another to follow, I don't consider that finished then!

sopranosfan

Sanderson is very popular around here, but I don't consider him to have finished anything yet (other than the two standalones Tom mentions above), which is why I haven't read his work yet (other than his finale of Wheel of Time, which I didn't like). Technically, he did finish the first part of Mistborn (trilogy, I think), though him having announce that there's another to follow, I don't consider that finished then!
I considered it finished because my understanding, which may be wrong, is that none of the Mistborn stories are supposed to take place in the same time as the original trilogy. Alloy of Law(which I have but haven't read yet) is supposed to take place in a completely different era than the first. If the mention of a novel set in the same universe means it isn't finished then I personally don't think any fantasy series will be finished. I mean look at LOTR, a new book in that universe came out long after Tolkein's death.

moonspawn

The plan is for the following Mistborn trilogies to be set in the future from the trilogy before it. This way Sanderson plans to avoid the technology stagnant world trap that a lot of crappy fantasy authors fall into. He said in an interview this was one of the main things that bothers him about fantasy.

Jasalth

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
I just want to say thank you all for your suggestions! Since I really really needed something to read I ended up getting the Farseer Omnibus first. Yeah... I haven't been back because between school work for myself and the end of the school year meetings for my kids, I am on page 700 already of the 1900 it says there are on my iPad :)

I can't wait to read all of your other suggestions also and thanks again so much!!

hoihoi8

Possibly a Darkfriend
Hey, I'm looking for a top notch new fantasy book to read. Help me with recommendations! Here's my last couple years of reading and my tastes. Thanks :)

Loved: Mistborn book 1, Game of Thrones 1-3, Way of Kings, Warbreaker (2nd half), Assassins Apprentice 1, Wheel of Time 1

Liked: Wheel of Time 2, Mistborn 2-3, Game of Thrones 4, Warbreaker (1st half), Assassins Apprentice 2-3

Garbage, can't believe I finished these: Way of the North, Wheel of Time 3, Game of Thrones 5

sopranosfan

Hey, I'm looking for a top notch new fantasy book to read. Help me with recommendations! Here's my last couple years of reading and my tastes. Thanks :)

Loved: Mistborn book 1, Game of Thrones 1-3, Way of Kings, Warbreaker (2nd half), Assassins Apprentice 1, Wheel of Time 1

Liked: Wheel of Time 2, Mistborn 2-3, Game of Thrones 4, Warbreaker (1st half), Assassins Apprentice 2-3

Garbage, can't believe I finished these: Way of the North, Wheel of Time 3, Game of Thrones 5
You liked ASoIaF 4 more than 5? I felt exactly the opposite. My first thought is Words of Radiance, the second book in Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson considering you liked Way of Kings. I am enjoying Malazan books myself but the first is somewhat of a chore, I thought it was good but there is a lot going on but the second was amazing.

hoihoi8

Possibly a Darkfriend
You liked ASoIaF 4 more than 5? I felt exactly the opposite. My first thought is Words of Radiance, the second book in Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson considering you liked Way of Kings. I am enjoying Malazan books myself but the first is somewhat of a chore, I thought it was good but there is a lot going on but the second was amazing.
For Song of Ice and Fire, I think I was just so pumped off the first three books that the 4th couldn't do any wrong. Midway through the 5th book I began to realize the emperor was wearing no clothes :)

I'll check out some info on Word of Radiance and the Malazan series. Thanks :) Anyone else have some others?

kenubrion

For Song of Ice and Fire, I think I was just so pumped off the first three books that the 4th couldn't do any wrong. Midway through the 5th book I began to realize the emperor was wearing no clothes :)

I'll check out some info on Word of Radiance and the Malazan series. Thanks :) Anyone else have some others?
Why not go with the best, Blood Song? Today the very highly anticipated sequel came out as well.

hoihoi8

Possibly a Darkfriend
Why not go with the best, Blood Song? Today the very highly anticipated sequel came out as well.
I hadn't heard of the Blood Song book. People really seem to like it, but the constant comparisons to "The Name of the Wind" don't do it much praise for me. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks :)

ofer

All of the authors you mentioned (Martin, Hobb, Sanderson, Jordan) are pretty much heavy hitters in fantasy, so it's hard to know what you liked about them. Beside from Way of the North. Don't think I've heard of it.

If you liked the first books of Mistborn, Game of Thrones, and Wheel of Time because they have more action, than beside Malazan, which was already suggested, I can throw in First Law trilogy by Joe Abrecrombie and The Black Company by Glen Cook. One other Sanderson book which is usually liked here is Elantris, although I never read it myself.

Edit - Forgot one obvious answer. Hobb's got a another pretty good trilogy called Liveship Traders. It's in the same world as Farseer but with different characters. If you liked the Assassin books, you might also like this one.

You liked ASoIaF 4 more than 5? I felt exactly the opposite.
I'm with him on that one. I thought that the 4th book, while not at the level of the first 2, was better than the 5th. I wouldn't call the 5th garbage, though. Simply disappointing compared to the previous books

Last edited:

sopranosfan

I think my problem with the fourth was that I didn't care about most of the characters. The Dorne chapters were painful to me. Whereas the fifth had Tyrion and Jon Snow back. If I ever reread the series I will either skip the 4th book or at least all chapters dealing with Dorne.

fbones24

Since you enjoyed Hobb's FArseer, why not move on to Liveship Traders? I loved it and it may be my favorite series of all time. As a whole, I liked it better than Farseer.

Since you enjoyed Hobb's FArseer, why not move on to Liveship Traders? I loved it and it may be my favorite series of all time. As a whole, I liked it better than Farseer.
I agree. Liveship traders felt far more 'real' to me then Farseer. The whole cast and their cultures really dragged me into their world, in a good way. I heartily second that recommendation.

Amaryllis

First of all, I have no idea how or why I had a Disagree on your post, as I don't even recall having read it before (and on top of that, I don't like the Disagree tag), so, uh...yeah. Sorry. Maybe I hit it while scrolling on my phone?

Second, I am admittedly finding it very hard to identify a defining factor in the books you seem to like/hate. I have also never even heard of Way of the North, and Google is just shrugging at me.

Erring on the side of safety, I'd say the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman and Shadowmarch by Tad Williams would probably be good. They aren't paragons of the genre, but they aren't controversial enough to turn you off. I could also recommend The Swans War by Sean Russell in the same vein, but good luck finding it anywhere ever. Joe Abercrombie seems like a natural extension for someone who likes GRRM, but I've never read him, so you'll have to take others' words. Kingdom of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes is also a mainstay in my recommendations. It's sort of more classic fantasy, but mixed a bit with the style of GRRM. I like it, and so do several others, but it has yet to gain any real headway in discussions of great fantasy (here or elsewhere). Liveship also probably makes sense if you liked the original trilogy, but I haven't read that either to put my name behind it (and I honestly don't have much interest in reading more Hobb).

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I could also recommend The Swans War by Sean Russell in the same vein, but good luck finding it anywhere ever.
It's available as e-books from Amazon. I got it as used paperbacks a couple of years ago (also from Ammy).

I haven't been commenting on Greg Keyes because I read his books so long ago I barely can remember anything to say. Except that my overall impression was favorable.

kenubrion

It's available as e-books from Amazon. I got it as used paperbacks a couple of years ago (also from Ammy).

I haven't been commenting on Greg Keyes because I read his books so long ago I barely can remember anything to say. Except that my overall impression was favorable.
Indeed, Swan's War is available on Amazon and every volume is $0.99, probably the best bargain around.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Kingdom-B...TF8&qid=1405444244&sr=1-1&keywords=swan's+war

SaraJean Panek

Possibly a Darkfriend
Have you read the Dresden Files? Not classic fantasy, but its a refreshing read aside from all the "cliche" fantasy. Also, try Mistborn trilogy. Definatly nothing classical there.
Just started the Mistborn trilogy a few days ago--I have a hard time putting it down! Reminds me a little bit of Martha Well's Death of the Necromancer.

Vic6

A farm boy with a sword
Hi, looking for a new series to start up! I've read and reread most of the popular authors' series that interest me so I'm coming to you guys for help.

Series I found great would include A Song of Ice And Fire, Kingkiller Chronicles, everything Abercrombie, Prince of Nothing, Malazan, Brent Weeks series (including Night Angels, I see it takes some bashing on here), Dresden and Sanderson.

Didn't love the Hobb's series (I never managed to finish Liveship Traders), Black company, and Im sure a few others that I can't remember.

I find I like most decently written books with a good concept/magic system and/or witty characters (loved Bartimaus when I was younger, I'd be chuckling throughout the books).

I'm thinking of starting Lies of Locke Lamora but I'm not really convinced I'll like it.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
I'm thinking of starting Lies of Locke Lamora but I'm not really convinced I'll like it.
Lies of Locke Lamora has witty characters and a great concept, but zero magic. Not sure what to recommend in the way of magic. I'm about to read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and I've heard it is very well done. I'm assuming it will have some good magic, as it is an alternative history Victorian setting and the two main characters are wizards.