I like *this* so recommend me.....

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
@Danica The Deathgate Cycle. It's a pretty cool world and Weiss and Hickman have me ROFLMAO. sometimes. I I loved it. It isn't a dungeon and dragons book and even Ben gave it some love. It's on his 50 epics list. I think it's just what yours looking for. Highly recommend. Antoxx was reading it last I heard and I'm pretty sure he really likes it. Good story.
I sort of went off it. Have finished 3 books and started 4th but interest waned and started reading some other stuff. Might go back to it at some point but i don't think it stands out or anything.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.

Has anyone read these? I've just come across them on twitter, and they sound great, so thought I'd ask.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.

Has anyone read these? I've just come across them on twitter, and they sound great, so thought I'd ask.

Ammy keeps recommending them to me but I haven't taken the bait yet. If you do start the series, let me know. Ammy seems to think I will like them. (But then Ammy also seems to think I will like cricket food and Amish beard wax and herbal supplements for menopausal women, so who knows?)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Even weirder than that was they thought you would like Terry Goodkind!
Haha, I remember that. I guess just because I bought and rated and reviewed and browsed a bunch of fantasy books. I went in and one-starred a bunch of Goodkind books, though, and I haven't seen that crap again.

BossMikah

Possibly a Darkfriend
Hey guys! Hoping you might be able to recommend a few books I should look at reading next. Any pointers would be great! Sci Fi or Fantasy I like them both.
So I have read most of Brandon Sandersons work, Wok, and WoR could be my two favourite fantasy books of all time. I enjoyed Brent Weeks thus far, just finished his latest book. Got tired of the wheel of time after like 5 or 6 books, it was just becoming too repetitive. I enjoyed terry brooks, hated lord of the rings (it was just far too heavy a read for me). Loved dune, loved enders game, loved the amber chronicles, loved c.s. Lewis' space trilogy. A friend of mind recommends lies of locke lamora? I also have not read any terry pratchett (It seems aimed at a younger audience,correct me if I'm wrong) nor any terry goodkind. Am also seeing a lot about Steve Erikson, so ya any advice would be much appreciated!

BossMikah

Possibly a Darkfriend
Hey guys! Hoping you might be able to recommend a few books I should look at reading next. Any pointers would be great! Sci Fi or Fantasy I like them both.
So I have read most of Brandon Sandersons work, Wok, and WoR could be my two favourite fantasy books of all time. I enjoyed Brent Weeks thus far, just finished his latest book. Got tired of the wheel of time after like 5 or 6 books, it was just becoming too repetitive. I enjoyed terry brooks, hated lord of the rings (it was just far too heavy a read for me). Loved dune, loved enders game, loved the amber chronicles, loved c.s. Lewis' space trilogy. A friend of mind recommends lies of locke lamora? I also have not read any terry pratchett (It seems aimed at a younger audience,correct me if I'm wrong) nor any terry goodkind. Am also seeing a lot about Steve Erikson, so ya any advice would be much appreciated!
Also what about Joe Abercrombie?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
nor any terry goodkind.
You'll be much happier if you keep it that way.

Seriously. I read the entire Sword of Truth series. I think I lost like 20% of my IQ points.

callahan09

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I'm reading Joe Abercrombie right now. Loved The Blade Itself, just started Before They Are Hanged. I would highly recommend him based on the first book.

Derk of Derkholm

Hi Mikah, welcome to the forum!

So I have read most of Brandon Sandersons work, Wok, and WoR could be my two favourite fantasy books of all time.
Took me a second to get the book names. All I could think of at first was "Did he mistype WoT?" :)

I would definitely not say that Terry Pratchett is aimed at younger readers. They can read it, definitely (no gratuitous sex and senseless violence), but I'd say that most of the ironical references work better for adult readers. Give them a try, and don't be dismayed by the fact that the first two books start off a bit sluggishly IMO ("Witches abroad", however, is an awesome and fun read, and IMO would serve well as an introduction to Ringworld, as it does not build on the first two)

Other than that, there are (IMO) lots of YA (young adult) books that can be fun to read, a case in point being the "Bartimaeus" series, and, of course, Harry Potter.

Take a look at the books recommended not only in the forum, but also in the "Top 25 series". There are lots of references there, based on what kind of books you like. Abercrombie is definitely a good read, as well.

Also, as you like both Fantasy and SF, have you ever read Jim Butcher? His "Dresden files" urban fantasy is definitely worth reading according to most forum members (myself included).

Best regards,
Andy

Derk of Derkholm

Hey guys! Hoping you might be able to recommend a few books I should look at reading next.
OK, having just taken a cursory 5-second glance at the "25 best fantasy books" list myself, I am back with a very simple question:

Have you already read "Game of Thrones"? If yes, did you like it?
If not, you might give that one a try... Most likely doesn't matter a lot if you have seen the series or not.

Best regards,
Andy