I like *this* so recommend me.....

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
Hey guys! Hoping you might be able to recommend a few books I should look at reading next. Any pointers would be great! Sci Fi or Fantasy I like them both.
Hi, welcome to the boards. :)
Hey guys! Hoping you might be able to recommend a few books I should look at reading next. Any pointers would be great! Sci Fi or Fantasy I like them both.
So I have read most of Brandon Sandersons work, Wok, and WoR could be my two favourite fantasy books of all time. I enjoyed Brent Weeks thus far, just finished his latest book. Got tired of the wheel of time after like 5 or 6 books, it was just becoming too repetitive. I enjoyed terry brooks, hated lord of the rings (it was just far too heavy a read for me). Loved dune, loved enders game...
Sounds like you're enjoying coming of age, more classical fantasy and sci-fi books. Based on that, I can recommend:
Otherland series - Tad Williams. A mixture of fantasy and sci-fi. Really good books. I've read 9 of Williams books and I consider Otherland his best work.
War of the Flowers - Tad Williams. Also very good in a classic sort of way.
Swans War trilogy by Sean Russel. Classic style and written really well.
Spin - Robert Charles Wilson. Sci-fi.
loved the amber chronicles
Try Lord of Light, also by Roger Zelazny. One of the best books I've ever read.
I also have not read any terry pratchett (It seems aimed at a younger audience,correct me if I'm wrong)
Not Really. You can read them at any age.The first books in the Discworld series are funny, but a good starting point will be Guards! Guards! which is the 8th book of the series. The advantage of the Discworld series is that up to book 13 you can read them in any order you like, as they're more of stanalones in the same universe then a series. Personally, I liked him a lot.
nor any terry goodkind.
Good for you. Don't read any. Ever. Unless you like the feeling of your brain leaking out of your ears. This is not a joke.
Am also seeing a lot about Steve Erikson, so ya any advice would be much appreciated!
Great series, but be warned - it is very time consuming (10 giant books) and sometimes takes 3 or 4 books for most people to get into. Still, if you got the time and the patience, it will be very rewarding.
Also what about Joe Abercrombie?
Great books, if you don't mind grey characters and dubious morale. His writing is both witty and engrossing. If you start, make sure you read them in the order of publication. You'll get more out of them that way.
so ya any advice would be much appreciated!
Other general recommendations:
Hyperion Cantos series by Dan Simmons.
Black Company series by Glen cook.
A Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin.
Farseer and Liveship trilogies by Robin Hobb.

Derk of Derkholm

Farseer and Liveship trilogies by Robin Hobb
Indeed, especially the "Farseer" trilogy (starting with "Assassin's apprentice") definitely needs to be mentioned here!
Too good to miss.

BossMikah

Possibly a Darkfriend
Wow! Thanks so much for all the great feedback! I'm so glad I stumbled across this site!
I don't know if I have it in me to read a really long fantasy series right now. The Wheel of time kind of killed that for me, so it sounds like I will save Erikson for later.
I read Game of Thrones, the first book, but I just cant bring myself to read further because I feel like I know what is coming due to the tv series, and many seem to rate that it goes downhill after the third book.
Sounds like I might have to pick up Lord of Light. Robin Hobb is also quite appealing to me, would you recommend the Farseer trilogy over the Liveship trilogy and is Farseer similar to the night angel trilogy?, cause if so I might have to give it a skip.
Dresden files sounds interesting too, sounds like I need grab one of these books too.
I am normally reading 3 books at any one time, so I am thinking Lord of Light, maybe a Dresden files, and either something Abercrombie or Hobb.

Thanks Ofer and Andy you guys are awesome!

Derk of Derkholm

Farseer is the first trilogy, followed by lifeship traders (also IMO Farseer is better).

Not very similar to Night angel. Give it a try :)

Best regards,
Andy

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
If Abercrombie sounds interesting to you, then definitely read his stuff. It's all really good, and is IMO consistently so. With the exception of his newest (Half a King, which is in a different universe than the others), I would second the recommendation to read them in order of publication. There are some significant overlaps of character and plot between those six books, and the order of publication is also chronological order.

You should also read Half a King, but you could read it any time, since it's unrelated to the others.

B81

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Guys, I need something "light" best as a standalone or 3 books max. I need a break from Malazan. With light I mean something like Abercrombie or Painted Man, meaning that the vocabulary is not to difficult an the storyline not to complex. I very much dislike classic stories, b/w characters or predictability.

I didn't like Mistborn, Prince of thorns, Codex alera, Brent Weeks' "young thief novel", Magician and many more, acctually.

Apart from Malazan I've enjoyed asoiaf, sword of shadows, stormlight archieve to name a few.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, I need something "light" best as a standalone or 3 books max. I need a break from Malazan. With light I mean something like Abercrombie or Painted Man, meaning that the vocabulary is not to difficult an the storyline not to complex. I very much dislike classic stories, b/w characters or predictability.

I didn't like Mistborn, Prince of thorns, Codex alera, Brent Weeks' "young thief novel", Magician and many more, acctually.

Apart from Malazan I've enjoyed asoiaf, sword of shadows, stormlight archieve to name a few.
Have you read anything by Robin Hobb? If not, Farseer might suit what you're looking for? It is a little bit 'classic' though.

The Abercrombie standalone books would be good, but start with his First Law Trilogy if you haven't done so already.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world

Have you read the Chronicles of the Raven series by James Barclay? It's a trilogy that might be up your alley. If you like that, there's also another four-book series that comes after it.

ofer

Have you read anything by David Gemmel? Most of his books are standalones and the plot is simple enough.

A good starting point could be Legend or Sword in the Storm - both are the first books in a series but it's not really a series, just a number of standalone books in the same universe.
Another two books by him which were completely standalones are Knights of Dark Renown and Morningstar.

kenubrion

Have to recommend Farseer series/trilogy then, starting with Assassin's Apprentice, by Robin Hobb. I say this because of your wanting "light". You will read this eventually if you stick around here, it and she come up so much. And it starts a quite large universe of related series'. Plus it's only $1.99 these days. Easy, light reading but a great story.

http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-App...0129340&sr=1-1&keywords=assassin's+apprentice

Derk of Derkholm

Have to recommend Farseer series/trilogy then
See above, already read, not enjoyed immensely.

Would suggest Sapkowski: The Witcher.
See the respective threads here on the forum. Also "The Black Company".

Apart from classic fantasy - what about giving Urban Fantasy a try?
The Dresden files, Night Watch, Rivers of London, Alex Verus are all nice and easy to read.

Best regards,
Andy

Derk of Derkholm

No Gemell yet, will check him, thanks.
I read a few of the "Druss, the Legend" books, and found them quite repetitive and foreseeable after some time.
OK, but definitely not outstanding in my book.

Druss is confronted with adversaries and kills them all with his axe. End of story.

kenubrion

I read a few of the "Druss, the Legend" books, and found them quite repetitive and foreseeable after some time.
OK, but definitely not outstanding in my book.

Druss is confronted with adversaries and kills them all with his axe. End of story.
I have to agree with Derk about Gemmell's series becoming repetitive. That's why I like the original first books, the Waylander trilogy, better than Druss' story starting with Legend once you're past the first couple starring him. But those are great, before the template takes over as Derk says.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Guys, I need something "light" best as a standalone or 3 books max.
How about Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman? I open that book all the time and read a passage or two, always cracks me up.
Though humorous books is hard to recommend, we all have our own idea of what's funny and what's not, but I'd recommend giving that one a go.
I'm going to recommend Michael J. Sullivan and his Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations #1-2) too.
I wouldn't go for Robin Hobb when looking for something "light". Her books are beautifully written, but they are heavy, literally and in content. They can be quite a snooze-fest.

I liked ASOFAI, but I´m not sure I´ll be alive when the last book is out. :). Some other recommendations? From recent books (ebooks) I recommend The City of Wizards.