I like *this* so recommend me.....

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I liked ASOFAI, but I´m not sure I´ll be alive when the last book is out. :). Some other recommendations? From recent books (ebooks) I recommend The City of Wizards.
Ah, now you're spamming your book across multiple threads. Whoever told you it was a good idea to do that was wrong.

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
I liked ASOFAI, but I´m not sure I´ll be alive when the last book is out. . Some other recommendations? From recent books (ebooks) I recommend The City of Wizards.
Yeah... I feel a bit like I do when I look over my wife's shoulder when my kids are making ill-advised lies about who took the chocolate out the fridge first. I shake my head whilst wincing, trying to give them the idea that what they're doing is pointless and very likely going to lead to serious grief.

I shaking my head at you @GeM and wincing. Electronically speaking you won't live to see the release of your next ebook if you don't buck your ideas up; they're coming for you. Can you feel it?

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the board, but I figured I should jump right in here, because I have a feeling this thread will be my friend. As I mentioned int he Intro thread, I came to fantasy late in life, so I'm really behind on stuff I should have read ages ago. Also, I'm a librarian, and I'm always looking to make the best recommendations I can to my patrons.

So, here's my latest what-should-I-read-next dilemma. I've got a dedicated group of about a half dozen fantasy readers I recommend to who like lots of different popular fantasy authors (Rothfuss and Sanderson, for example), but whose tastes run a little grimdark. (This also happens to describe my reading tastes pretty accurately as well.) So, obviously, I started them all with Joe Abercrombie, and then onto Brent Weeks Lightbringer series, Anthony Ryan, and Douglas Hulick. For those who I think will be interested, I then give them Scott Lynch and Mark Lawrence (neither of whom I especially like). Now I'm looking for new things, and here's the first challenge--between this site and some other poking around, as well as what the library has available at the moment, I have four books sitting on my desk, but only time to read maybe two of them. For my own pleasure, and that of my patrons, which would you recommend?

Daniel Abraham A Shadow in Summer
R Scott Bakker The Darkness that Comes Before
Luke Scull The Grim Company
Brian Staveley The Emperor's Blades

And now, my new friends, recommend well so I can pass off my time here as "work." ;)

ofer

Only read A shadow in Summer (and the entire series). I liked it a lot but it's not particularly grimdark. It's more character-oriented and low on action scenes. Still very much recommended, though.
And welcome to the boards. :)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've not read any of these (my bad!). I do own the Bakker trilogy though, and am planning on getting round to this soon.

Griffin

I wasn't a big fan of the The Long Price Quartet.
I've read the first book by R. Scott Bakker. I liked it the most of the books you listed. The Grim Company is a typical grimdark book but isn't in any particular way really innovating. The Emperor's Blades was a book I liked and the sequel (which I am now reading) is better than the first.

All in all, I'd recommend The Darkness that Comes Before and The Grim Company (as you're a fan of the genre).

kenubrion

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the board, but I figured I should jump right in here, because I have a feeling this thread will be my friend. As I mentioned int he Intro thread, I came to fantasy late in life, so I'm really behind on stuff I should have read ages ago. Also, I'm a librarian, and I'm always looking to make the best recommendations I can to my patrons.

So, here's my latest what-should-I-read-next dilemma. I've got a dedicated group of about a half dozen fantasy readers I recommend to who like lots of different popular fantasy authors (Rothfuss and Sanderson, for example), but whose tastes run a little grimdark. (This also happens to describe my reading tastes pretty accurately as well.) So, obviously, I started them all with Joe Abercrombie, and then onto Brent Weeks Lightbringer series, Anthony Ryan, and Douglas Hulick. For those who I think will be interested, I then give them Scott Lynch and Mark Lawrence (neither of whom I especially like). Now I'm looking for new things, and here's the first challenge--between this site and some other poking around, as well as what the library has available at the moment, I have four books sitting on my desk, but only time to read maybe two of them. For my own pleasure, and that of my patrons, which would you recommend?

And now, my new friends, recommend well so I can pass off my time here as "work." ;)
Hi Heroine and welcome. Read the last two but please don't ask me why. Just trust me, they're right in your wheelhouse (especially Grim Company). Your taste for grimdark and the authors you like are similar to my tastes and authors. The action never stops in these versus the slower tempo of the first two.

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I was able to get Emperor's Blade's on CD, so I'm going to start listening to that, and then jump into, probably, Grim Company, so that way I get one dark and one light. ;)

Cyphon

First post and it is a lot so please bare with me. I have read A LOT of fantasy and am always looking for new recommendations but I strictly buy books as opposed to checking them out at a library or something first. So I don't like to miss on books if I can avoid it. So what I want to do is provide you all with a list of what I have read and kind of where I stand on them. For my purposes here I don't want to talk about best/worst or bad/good. Simply books I have enjoyed and ones I haven't. As far as I can tell my interests are mostly sporadic but I always hope to find a person with similar stances on a solid majority of what I list so they can strongly recommend what to avoid or check out. Thanks in advance.

(Just to note these aren't in any specific order and if I list an author (and not all of their books) you can be sure I have looked into their other works.

Highly Enjoy

ASoIaF (Martin) - Love the first 3 books like most people and am higher on the 4th book than most I think. 5th was definitely a letdown as was the recently released "encyclopedia". I also really like the Dunk & Egg stories.

The Lightbringer Series (Brent Weeks) - One of my favorite ongoing and not a weak book in the bunch. Have also read the Night Angel trilogy which I also enjoyed. That was awhile back though and my opinions sometimes change overtime.

The Demon Cycle (Peter V Brett) - Great first book and a good 2nd book I think people are a little too hard on. The third book maintained my interest but I think he really bombed what he did with some of the main characters.

The Dresden Files/Codex Alera (Jim Butcher) - Love both of these. Given he has 2 fairly large series that I enjoy I consider him one of my favorite authors.

Acacia Trilogy (David Anthony Durham) - Another series that I read a good while ago but remember really enjoying.

The Kingkiller Chronicles (Patrick Rothfuss) - Really great writing. What I found most interesting was that a lot of time I was reading I was thinking "nothing is really happening" but it was so well written I just didn't care whether something interesting was happening or not. Quite an achievement.

Gentlemen Bastard Series (Scott Lynch) - Have thoroughly enjoyed every book so far.

The Broken Empire (Mark Lawrence) - Probably the lower end of this list but his writing style and characters really stuck with me. His newest book Prince of Fools didn't quite meet expectations but was still solid.

The Stormlight Archive (Brandon Sanderson) - Because of the sheer scope this is probably the series I am most excited for moving forward. I love Sandersons style and the first 2 books delivered completely.

Somewhat Enjoy

The Iron Druid Chronicles (Kevin Hearne) - Not nearly as good as The Dresden Files but there are enough similarities to keep me interested.

The Dark Tower Series (Stephen King) - I would say this is more on the low end of the list almost into the "didn't enjoy" list. Part of what saved it was how unique it was and I also really enjoyed Wizard and Glass. That was really the only standout book though, IMO.

The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) - For a long time I had this in the "highly enjoy" section but it is definitely a bloated series and the last book left a bad taste in my mouth.

Magicians Trilogy (Lev Grossman) - Each book was an improvement on the last with the finale being an actual good book. I thought the first book was flat out boring though.

Alex Verus series (Benedict Jacka) - Higher up on the list if I had to place it. The books are too short to ever become dull but the series really needs more depth to it. What is there is great but there just isn't enough of a draw to really keep me thinking about it long after I finish the next book.

The First Law Trilogy (Joe Abercrombie) - I thought he did some great character work but beyond that there was little keeping my interest. There was just nothing about the magic or plot that ever got me fully invested.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy (Jonathan Stroud) - Interesting at times but something just never clicked for me. Nothing I could ever put my finger on though....

The Mistborn Trilogy (Brandon Sanderson) - I liked it but wasn't jumping up and down like I am for the books on the higher list. I will re-read these at some point and I plan on reading his newer additions to the world.

Acts of Caine (Matthew Stover) - This was pretty cool. Fun but just didn't stick with me like some of the other list.

Didn't Enjoy (I am fully aware this section won't make me very popular)

His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman) - Had high hopes when I first picked this up but I found it to be mostly dull. I wonder if a lot of the popularity is from childhood nostalgia because I first read it as an adult. Maybe not though.

Lord of the Rings (J.R. Tolkien) - I understand giving something praise for being an originator or a template for others but there is almost nothing about this story I found interesting. As you can see from this list I have read a lot of fantasy and I would probably have to rate this as the most boring of them all. Sorry people, please forgive me.

The Monarchies of God (Paul Kearney) - Just badly done IMO. I can't remember all of the details but I remember thinking major plot points seemed almost totally irrelevant when I was finished.

The Cold Fire Trilogy (C.S. Friedman) - I don't remember if it was the characters or the overall plot but something about this just never connected on any level. I listened to the audiobook as opposed to reading so I cut it a little slack as I know that can have some impact on interpretation and enjoyment.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen (Steven Erickson) - I made it to book 5 and dropped this series. I do plan to revisit it someday but my 2 big qualms with the series were the constant switching/addition of characters and overly descriptive writing that made for a tiresome experience. I think it was something like book 1 introduces you to characters. Book 2 is a whole new cast and then book 3 is back to mostly the first cast and 4 was the 2nd cast again? And then 5 was an entirely NEW cast from the first 4.

The Farseer Trilogy (Robin Hobb) - So as you can see above I mention boring or something not connecting a lot. This trilogy I actually found off putting. I flat out hated it.

The Cathrand Voyage Quartet (Robert V.S. Redick) - This may belong in the "somewhat enjoy" section but I read it fairly recently and just flat-out don't remember much of it. That can't be a good sign.

Young Adult

Probably could list any of these on the fantasy list but just in case I wanted to add these because I have enjoyed a lot of these on some level as well. So if you have any recommendations on this end let me know.

Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)
Percy Jackson & The Olympians / Heroes of Olympus (Rick Riordan)
Fablehaven (Brandon Mull)
The Tapestry (Henry H. Neff)
The Reckoners (Brandon Sanderson)
The Rithmatist (Brandon Sanderson)

Okay so quickly I would say Harry Potter is definitely my favorite of the group. Low end I would put the Percy Jackson books though Riordans second series in that world was an improvement. Also near the high end would be the Sanderson stuff and The Tapestry. Fablehaven falls somewhere in the middle.

Griffin

Welcome @Cyphon!

That's quite the list you got there. You've read lots of great stuff!
I'm not going to make personal suggestions, but I recommend you taking a look at the following:
- A list of the top 25 fantasy books published last year: http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/threads/top-25-fantasy-books-published-in-2014.1929/
- A list of the top 25 fantasy books according to Ben (and it's on the homepage as well), it got recently updated: http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/threads/top-25-best-fantasy-books.1761/

Hope this is a start ;)

Cyphon

Thanks @Griffin

I will take a look at those.

Last year I got some good books from the most anticipated of 2014 list that on the main site. Any clue if/when there will be one for 2015?

Griffin

It wouldn't presume to speak for them, so I'll wait for them to answer that question.

As for myself, some of my most anticipated books for 2015 are:

(I mean, c'mon, fantasy and dinosaurs! What's not to like :D
2. Half the World - Joe abercrombie
3. The Autumn Republic - Brian McClellan
4. Time Salvager - Wesley Chu
5. The Grace of Kings - Ken Liu
6. The Spider's War - Daniel Abraham
7. The Skull Throne - Peter V. Brett

...and probably a few others.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah welcome on board @Cyphon ... that is some list! I think the Abercrombie standalones are better than the trilogy, so maybe you could try them and this would move JA into your Highly Enjoy list (where he obviously blatantly deserves to be :) )

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
And how could I forget the likely game-changing Dinosaur Lords a.k.a the most anticipated fantasy book of the 21st century! :)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
And how could I forget the likely game-changing Dinosaur Lords a.k.a the most anticipated fantasy book of the 21st century! :)
I'm on Tor's ARC list these days. If I get that I am so going to lord it over you all. (However, if I don't get it free, I probably won't buy it...)

kenubrion

First post and it is a lot so please bare with me. I have read A LOT of fantasy and am always looking for new recommendations but I strictly buy books as opposed to checking them out at a library or something first. So I don't like to miss on books if I can avoid it. So what I want to do is provide you all with a list of what I have read and kind of where I stand on them. For my purposes here I don't want to talk about best/worst or bad/good. Simply books I have enjoyed and ones I haven't. As far as I can tell my interests are mostly sporadic but I always hope to find a person with similar stances on a solid majority of what I list so they can strongly recommend what to avoid or check out. Thanks in advance.

(Just to note these aren't in any specific order and if I list an author (and not all of their books) you can be sure I have looked into their other works.

Highly Enjoy

ASoIaF (Martin) - Love the first 3 books like most people and am higher on the 4th book than most I think. 5th was definitely a letdown as was the recently released "encyclopedia". I also really like the Dunk & Egg stories.

The Lightbringer Series (Brent Weeks) - One of my favorite ongoing and not a weak book in the bunch. Have also read the Night Angel trilogy which I also enjoyed. That was awhile back though and my opinions sometimes change overtime.

The Demon Cycle (Peter V Brett) - Great first book and a good 2nd book I think people are a little too hard on. The third book maintained my interest but I think he really bombed what he did with some of the main characters.

The Dresden Files/Codex Alera (Jim Butcher) - Love both of these. Given he has 2 fairly large series that I enjoy I consider him one of my favorite authors.

Acacia Trilogy (David Anthony Durham) - Another series that I read a good while ago but remember really enjoying.

The Kingkiller Chronicles (Patrick Rothfuss) - Really great writing. What I found most interesting was that a lot of time I was reading I was thinking "nothing is really happening" but it was so well written I just didn't care whether something interesting was happening or not. Quite an achievement.

Gentlemen Bastard Series (Scott Lynch) - Have thoroughly enjoyed every book so far.

The Broken Empire (Mark Lawrence) - Probably the lower end of this list but his writing style and characters really stuck with me. His newest book Prince of Fools didn't quite meet expectations but was still solid.

The Stormlight Archive (Brandon Sanderson) - Because of the sheer scope this is probably the series I am most excited for moving forward. I love Sandersons style and the first 2 books delivered completely.

Somewhat Enjoy

The Iron Druid Chronicles (Kevin Hearne) - Not nearly as good as The Dresden Files but there are enough similarities to keep me interested.

The Dark Tower Series (Stephen King) - I would say this is more on the low end of the list almost into the "didn't enjoy" list. Part of what saved it was how unique it was and I also really enjoyed Wizard and Glass. That was really the only standout book though, IMO.

The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) - For a long time I had this in the "highly enjoy" section but it is definitely a bloated series and the last book left a bad taste in my mouth.

Magicians Trilogy (Lev Grossman) - Each book was an improvement on the last with the finale being an actual good book. I thought the first book was flat out boring though.

Alex Verus series (Benedict Jacka) - Higher up on the list if I had to place it. The books are too short to ever become dull but the series really needs more depth to it. What is there is great but there just isn't enough of a draw to really keep me thinking about it long after I finish the next book.

The First Law Trilogy (Joe Abercrombie) - I thought he did some great character work but beyond that there was little keeping my interest. There was just nothing about the magic or plot that ever got me fully invested.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy (Jonathan Stroud) - Interesting at times but something just never clicked for me. Nothing I could ever put my finger on though....

The Mistborn Trilogy (Brandon Sanderson) - I liked it but wasn't jumping up and down like I am for the books on the higher list. I will re-read these at some point and I plan on reading his newer additions to the world.

Acts of Caine (Matthew Stover) - This was pretty cool. Fun but just didn't stick with me like some of the other list.

Didn't Enjoy (I am fully aware this section won't make me very popular)

His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman) - Had high hopes when I first picked this up but I found it to be mostly dull. I wonder if a lot of the popularity is from childhood nostalgia because I first read it as an adult. Maybe not though.

Lord of the Rings (J.R. Tolkien) - I understand giving something praise for being an originator or a template for others but there is almost nothing about this story I found interesting. As you can see from this list I have read a lot of fantasy and I would probably have to rate this as the most boring of them all. Sorry people, please forgive me.

The Monarchies of God (Paul Kearney) - Just badly done IMO. I can't remember all of the details but I remember thinking major plot points seemed almost totally irrelevant when I was finished.

The Cold Fire Trilogy (C.S. Friedman) - I don't remember if it was the characters or the overall plot but something about this just never connected on any level. I listened to the audiobook as opposed to reading so I cut it a little slack as I know that can have some impact on interpretation and enjoyment.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen (Steven Erickson) - I made it to book 5 and dropped this series. I do plan to revisit it someday but my 2 big qualms with the series were the constant switching/addition of characters and overly descriptive writing that made for a tiresome experience. I think it was something like book 1 introduces you to characters. Book 2 is a whole new cast and then book 3 is back to mostly the first cast and 4 was the 2nd cast again? And then 5 was an entirely NEW cast from the first 4.

The Farseer Trilogy (Robin Hobb) - So as you can see above I mention boring or something not connecting a lot. This trilogy I actually found off putting. I flat out hated it.

The Cathrand Voyage Quartet (Robert V.S. Redick) - This may belong in the "somewhat enjoy" section but I read it fairly recently and just flat-out don't remember much of it. That can't be a good sign.

Young Adult

Probably could list any of these on the fantasy list but just in case I wanted to add these because I have enjoyed a lot of these on some level as well. So if you have any recommendations on this end let me know.

Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)
Percy Jackson & The Olympians / Heroes of Olympus (Rick Riordan)
Fablehaven (Brandon Mull)
The Tapestry (Henry H. Neff)
The Reckoners (Brandon Sanderson)
The Rithmatist (Brandon Sanderson)

Okay so quickly I would say Harry Potter is definitely my favorite of the group. Low end I would put the Percy Jackson books though Riordans second series in that world was an improvement. Also near the high end would be the Sanderson stuff and The Tapestry. Fablehaven falls somewhere in the middle.
Hi Cyphon and welcome. Excellent first post. Don't worry about disliking anything, you'll find someone that agrees with you. And you definitely read the books we're all talking about.