I like *this* so recommend me.....

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
I don't like in medias res starts generally, so it got off on the wrong foot with me. I hated the characters. And my eyes almost rolled right out of my head when I hit the vagina denta, and the 14 year-old fanboy's spankbank scene turned into a ridiculous nightmare. Just hated it all.

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
Okay, to each its own I guess. Though there is plenty of love for those books around here. Also,

I suggest you don't ever that reading Malazan Book of the Fallen ;)

Now really, go read it! ;)
So many people say that Malazan didn't end especially strong, and that's a whole lot of reading for something that doesn't end well.

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
So many people say that Malazan didn't end especially strong, and that's a whole lot of reading for something that doesn't end well.
Malazan is a tough nut to crack. More characters than any series I can think of and not the most readable writing style. It has some really good high points but often times it felt more like work than relaxing reading. I made it to book 5.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, bite me. :finger:

ETA Being new here, I should make it clear that I have never told someone to "Bite me" without my tongue firmly in my cheek. ;)
Ooohhh the GRRM emoticon! Well guess I deserved it.

Saying that, @Hand of Fear will be pleased that there is another forum member around with as poor a taste in books as he has ;)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I don't like in medias res starts generally
I suggest you don't ever that reading Malazan Book of the Fallen
Agree with Griffin here, you'll hate Gardens of the Moon then.

and my eyes almost rolled right out of my head when I hit the vagina denta,
I suggest you never read American Gods either.

but often times it felt more like work than relaxing reading.
It's not a brain candy (and that's a good thing!), that's for sure. But work? Come on :D

Cyphon

It's not a brain candy (and that's a good thing!), that's for sure. But work? Come on :D
I know it is all subjective but I think the way it was written was just bad. Not the prose so much as the way it is all delivered. You get the stuff at the beginning of each chapter that doesn't mean anything to you and the change of cast in every book didn't work for me either. Especially with how many of them there were. That was what made it feel like work. Malazan is unique for me in that most of the stuff I don't like tends to just be boring for me. Either characters or plot I never found interesting. With Malazan it had a lot that was interesting but it was presented in a way that just wasn't conductive to a good experience. Way too much stuff to try and piece together between all of the interesting stuff. I think it is probably pretty good on like a 2nd or 3rd re-read.

Alucard

Staff member
Way too much stuff to try and piece together
That's the best thing for me. I never get bored trying to figure things out. I get bored when there's nothing to figure out.
I generally dont like books where I feel like I can hang "nobody's home" sign on my forehead and just breeze through it. If I'm reading a brain candy and nothing more like Hounded for example, then it has to be funny and full of action, otherwise it sucks.

Cyphon

That's the best thing for me. I never get bored trying to figure things out. I get bored when there's nothing to figure out.
I generally dont like books where I feel like I can hang "nobody's home" sign on my forehead and just breeze through it. If I'm reading a brain candy and nothing more like Hounded for example, then it has to be funny and full of action, otherwise it sucks.
I agree with you mostly. I love when a plot leaves questions and things to be explored but Malazan felt more like information than mystery because of how much there was and how much didn't mean anything at the time you read it. And that might not be so bad if it wasn't also for the constantly changing cast of characters. So on top of having to learn a new cast or remember where old ones fit in because they disappeared for a whole book, you had to wait for all of the other information to connect or make sense.

I still think there is enough interesting about them that I could probably consider them good or enjoyable after a 2nd or 3rd read through but I am not sure I will ever get back to finishing the first. Every time I try to get excited about it and start again it is an uphill battle.

Alucard

Staff member
Malazan felt more like information than mystery because of how much there was and how much didn't mean anything at the time you read it.
I'm only at the half way of book 2, so I may not have a full picture yet, but there has been so much revealed already and on the other hand there's so much left to figure out as well. That's where the mystery is for me.
Deadhouse Gates for me made Gardens of the Moon much clearer, and I'm not even half as confused with DG as I was with GotM. Not even close.

So on top of having to learn a new cast or remember where old ones fit in because they disappeared for a whole book, you had to wait for all of the other information to connect or make sense.
I understand what you're saying, but I just don't have this problem (yet!). Maybe ASOIAF did a good job in preparing me for Malazan :D
In DG, there are 4 characters that continue from GotM (Kalam, Fiddler, Apsalar and Crocus), and their stories make up for a significant part of book. Of course there are new ones as Heboric, Duiker, Felisin, Baudin, Kulp...etc, but they are the main ones. I have no problem remembering their names or their roles.
This could all change and I could be crying for help by book 5, but somehow I doubt it :D

ReguIa

Percy Jackson & The Olympians / Heroes of Olympus (Rick Riordan)
I really like these books. I almost never pick up YA anymore but there is just something special about these. The first 5 books that are written in first person POV are some of the funniest stuff I've ever read. The 2nd series is a little different. In some ways it's better and some ways it's not. Still quite enjoyable. I also think Greek mythology is super interesting so.

The thing is when I first started reading consistently a few years back I didn't really know of the YA branch. So among recommendations such as The Dresden Files, Mistborn, A Song of Ice and Fire came something like The Mortal Instruments. At first I thought it sounded similar to The Dresden Files. Boy was I wrong.. After reading something like that, which had gotten stellar reviews and praise btw, I can be very picky about what I read next. Don't want to pick up anything like that again.

The thing I can't stand about YA though is that the stuff still tries to be full of action, intrigue, seriousness and danger. And at the same time it's full of lame jokes, bad romances, 15 year old kick ass characters that are invincible and perfect. It just doesn't mix.
Riordan's books, they don't try to be serious the same way though, so the comedy works perfectly.