I like *this* so recommend me.....

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
I'm only at the half way of book 2, so I may not have a full picture yet, but there has been so much revealed already and on the other hand there's so much left to figure out as well. That's where the mystery is for me.
Deadhouse Gates for me made Gardens of the Moon much clearer, and I'm not even half as confused with DG as I was with GotM. Not even close.

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't have this problem (yet!). Maybe ASOIAF did a good job in preparing me for Malazan :D
In DG, there are 4 characters that continue from GotM (Kalam, Fiddler, Apsalar and Crocus), and their stories make up for a significant part of book. Of course there are new ones as Heboric, Duiker, Felisin, Baudin, Kulp...etc, but they are the main ones. I have no problem remembering their names or their roles.
This could all change and I could be crying for help by book 5, but somehow I doubt it :D
Oh, you are going to love the end of that book. I'm excited for you!

I'm with you too. I love having to figure some stuff out for myself. Malazan never felt like work to me. Once I started the series I couldn't stop until I finished it.

Boreas

Staff member
And my eyes almost rolled right out of my head when I hit the vagina denta, and the 14 year-old fanboy's spankbank scene turned into a ridiculous nightmare.
That's funny. That bit was a real wtf moment for me, too. That whole tale was my least favourite of the six, though I still enjoyed reading it. Didn't you like any of the tales? I have a friend (in the Real) who thinks it's all a bunch of pretentious crap. As for stories starting in the middle of things, I'm fine with that. I really like figuring things out.

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
That's funny. That bit was a real wtf moment for me, too. That whole tale was my least favourite of the six, though I still enjoyed reading it. Didn't you like any of the tales? I have a friend (in the Real) who thinks it's all a bunch of pretentious crap. As for stories starting in the middle of things, I'm fine with that. I really like figuring things out.
I think I would like to hang out with your friend. ;)

Boreas

Staff member
Is now the wrong time to mention I've never read him?
It's never too late to be initiated to the brilliance that is Banks (if you do start reading Banks, you'll be genuflecting soon enough). I recommend the excellent "The Crow Road" for his mainstream fiction and the equally excellent "Player of Games" as a short introduction to his science fictional society of the Culture (a tongue-in-cheek epithet, if ever there was one).

Yasmin Fazli

Possibly a Darkfriend
Hi,

I would greatly appreciate if you could recommend me a book.

So let's see, my favorite fantasy novels:
Jordan: WoT, GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire (I read 2 books from the Narnia Chronicles, The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and liked them very much, but the other books werent as good) and I'm currently reading the Riftwar saga's second book (I liked the first one, but sadly the second one shifted the PoV from Pug :( and is becoming more and more boring)

I want to read something that is not so predictable and has many twists in the story line (like GRRM's books). I would also prefer a long series to occupy myself in my free time. :)

I tried Erikson's Malazan series (read the first book and about 100 pages of the second one), but I was greatly disappointed. It was like a history book for me, without any interesting character (or just too many).

I was thinking to try perhaps the Memory, Sorrow & Thorn or The Runelords saga; however they don't seem to offer anything new.

I would welcome any recommendation and suggestion.

Read Will of Hope! It's a New Adult fantasy. It's like Narnia meets Game of Thrones sort of. It's basically about this girl who lost everything that ever mattered to and 8years later is told she could get it all bad. She's willing to do anything to get her best friend back so she follows the stranger and ends up in a world called Acryen. In this world, a lot of it is based in medieval times so there's taverns and kingdoms and stuff with multiple races (some new, some old like elves and dwarves and what not) but it's actually really good. It's a fast read and I know this because I wrote it and ALL my friends who listed the same books you did said they absolutely adored it. Yes, even strangers said they liked it. I'm only saying give it a go because the reason I wrote it was because I wanted to read a story like that myself after I devoured every book to mankind lol Check it out. It won't hurt :) It's on Amazon as an eBook <3

ofer

Lol the quoted post from Yagoov is from the first page of the thread and is nearly 6 years old.
For his sake, I hope he continued with Malazan, as well as taking on Ben's recs for The Name of the Wind or Dresden.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Lol the quoted post from Yagoov is from the first page of the thread and is nearly 6 years old.
For his sake, I hope he continued with Malazan, as well as taking on Ben's recs for The Name of the Wind or Dresden.
Nice catch. I didn't even noticed, thought it was previous page or something. But it doesn't matter either way, because recommendations such as that one are less for the person asking, more for the person giving the recommendation. In other words, not very useful.

Alucard

Staff member
Oh sorry I didn't realize there were guidelines and I didn't mean it in a bad way....
what is a darkfriend.....????
Don't worry, it's ok. Darkfriend is just a forum title you have under your name. It changes with the number of posts you make as well as with number of likes or dislikes you get from other members.

Loved Blood Song by Anthony Ryan and pretty much everything from Joe Abercrombie.

I'm looking for the next one to knock me off my feet but don't know which way to turn! Sanderson, Erikson Hobb, Weeks - these names keep coming up.

I'm not overly keen on too-much-magic but love an epic hero/warrior, defeats all odds type thing!

Just looking for something which totally grabs me and makes it impossible to put down!

Any recommendations would be most welcome?!!

kenubrion

Loved Blood Song by Anthony Ryan and pretty much everything from Joe Abercrombie.

I'm looking for the next one to knock me off my feet but don't know which way to turn! Sanderson, Erikson Hobb, Weeks - these names keep coming up.

I'm not overly keen on too-much-magic but love an epic hero/warrior, defeats all odds type thing!

Just looking for something which totally grabs me and makes it impossible to put down!

Any recommendations would be most welcome?!!
How about Sanderson, Erikson, Hobb or Weeks? Seriously, you really should read them. But when you say no magic and epic hero/warrior, Rictus from The Macht trilogy by Paul Kearney seems to me to be the best bet. The first book is called The Ten Thousand. Kearney may be the best less well known author out there. He's actually coming out with a new book/series this year after a very long hiatus. But The Macht fits your requirements perfectly.

Edit to say welcome as well.

Alucard

Staff member
Erikson and Hobb are slow burners. Read them when you have the time to really savor the story.
Haven't read Weeks but I got the impression his books are more action and fast pace the the two aforementioned. 
Sanderson, I don't have an opinion on. Just started reading his stuff.

Sounds to me like you would enjoy some heroic fantasy or sword and sorcery sub-genre more than the epic one.
Read the introduction text and if that is what you've been looking for, pick something from the list:
http://bestfantasybooks.com/heroic-fantasy.html
http://bestfantasybooks.com/sword-and-sorcery.html

How about Sanderson, Erikson, Hobb or Weeks? Seriously, you really should read them. But when you say no magic and epic hero/warrior, Rictus from The Macht trilogy by Paul Kearney seems to me to be the best bet. The first book is called The Ten Thousand. Kearney may be the best less well known author out there. He's actually coming out with a new book/series this year after a very long hiatus. But The Macht fits your requirements perfectly.

Edit to say welcome as well.
Thanks for the welcome and for the recommendation! I've just looked at a few reviews and it looks right up my street. I'll let you know how I get on with it!