I like *this* so recommend me.....

Fitz

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Thanks very much for the responses MorteTorment, Silvionnight, David Sims and
Mordecai illeniel, I'll peruse good reads with your recommendations and see how I fair. I appreciate your time!

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Fitz's post made me look at my own to-read list. I there is a very distinct lack of medievil fantasy, and i could some some recommendations myself.

So yeah, can I get some recommendations for medievil fantasy, and while I'm at it, modern day fantasy.

Only one rule: nothing with a LARGE amount of world building.

In other words, politics are ok, and the size of the book doesn't matter.

I'm also really into dark shit with a lot of action, and compelling main casts. I also seem to have developed a thing for assassins, and with modern settings, I like the main characters in modern times that are at the very least supernatural. However this entire paragraph is essentually a bunhc of suggestions, free tree to recommend just about anything.

Stuff I've liked has been:

The Way of Shadows (Night Angel #1)(personal fave!)

Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1)(this is just amazing!)

Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris #1)(one of my faves)

The Veil (Devil's Isle #1)

Hope and Red (Empire of Storms #1)

Nightwise

Venom in Her Veins: A Forgotten Realms Novel (not really a forgotten realms fan though)

Sorry, bold refuses to turn off now.

Plus I'm halfway through

A Dance of Cloaks (Shadowdance #1)
and it's amazing!

Last edited:

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Fitz's post made me look at my own to-read list. I there is a very distinct lack of medievil fantasy, and i could some some recommendations myself.

So yeah, can I get some recommendations for medievil fantasy, and while I'm at it, modern day fantasy.

I'm also really into dark shit with a lot of action, and compelling main casts. I also seem to have developed a thing for assassins, and with modern settings, I like the main characters in modern times that are at the very least supernatural. However this entire paragraph is essentually a bunhc of suggestions, free tree to recommend just about anything.
Have you read The Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan? It starts with Theft of Swords. Really good cast and i love Royca and Hadrian, great plot and not too much worldbuilding. Royce is an assassin and Hadrian is just awesome , love the interactions between them. I cant seem to remember enough to sell the series better to you so maybe im in need of a reread but i doubt anyone would NOT reccomend Riyria. Its a great series by and awesome author.

David Sims

Warded demons with Arlen
I'm up for reading Riyria Revelations after I finish with Child of the Prophecy by Juliet Marillier. I might read the so-far published books in The Gentlemen Bastards first, though. But after those two series, I'm going to try Salyards' Bloodsounders Arc.

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again

Nightwise

Venom in Her Veins: A Forgotten Realms Novel (not really a forgotten realms fan though)

Plus I'm halfway through

and it's amazing!
@MorteTorment

The Traitor Son Cycle-awesome!!

freeridden

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Alright.

I need some help in getting this horrible taste out of my mouth. I just read The Tower Lord by some author I will not mention, and it almost made me want to quit reading fantasy. This is the worst thing I have ever read in my entire life. Hands down.

Anything you can recommend that will get this taste out of my mouth.

Read and liked:
Hobbit/LOTR
Ambercrombie
Hobb
Dagger and Coin

Tried but didn't like:
Kingkiller (the story makes no sense)
Mistborn (started strong and then crashed and burned)
Gentleman Bastard (the first book was great)

kenubrion

Alright.

I need some help in getting this horrible taste out of my mouth. I just read The Tower Lord by some author I will not mention, and it almost made me want to quit reading fantasy. This is the worst thing I have ever read in my entire life. Hands down.

Read and liked:
Hobbit/LOTR
Ambercrombie
Hobb
Dagger and Coin

Tried but didn't like:
Well it's the second book so how did you like the first one?

ExTended

Alright.

Read and liked:
Hobbit/LOTR
Ambercrombie
Hobb
Dagger and Coin

Tried but didn't like:
The Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan for lighthearted, but quite interesting series will awesome duo of leading characters and great banter all the way.

The Magicians trilogy for something more serious, although it's kind of depressing at times, so maybe not a great suggestion.

The Broken Empire trilogy for something epic, gritty and gorry.

But I feel that The Wheel of Time would suit you best - it has some outstanding worldbuilding and most of the characters are great.

kenubrion

The first book was solid.
OK, you're in good company here as many felt the same, although not quite so radically negative as that. I liked it. Incredible battles and the best siege this side of The Red Knight, my first nomination along with Steel, Blood & Fire, which is the best indie book/series I've ever read by a long way and which stands rightfully with the best published by the big houses. Both epic/military and somewhat dark fantasies. After those it's on to Malazan starting with Gardens of the Moon. I'm with you 100% on your dislikes. I read 20 pages of the second bastards when I realized it was just going to be the first book with the words in a different order.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I third the rec for Immortal Treachery. Besides the points already mentioned,, I want to add that the books are dirt cheap. Expect something different though than your average fantasy. It's a fast-paced action packed page-turner. The chapters are relatively short and they make you want to keep turning the pages. The books are also very funny.

However, the scope is smaller than the scope of the books you said you like. The world feels smaller and the vast of characters is relatively small as well.

Still, its a favorite for many of us here on the forum, and I think you might like it too. I love it. It's really refreshing.

I think you might also like the Red Knight by Miles Cameron. Definitely worth checking out.

Bierschneeman

Alright, I will check out those recommendations. Anything else?
You could do what I did, I read all the blurbs on the BFB top 25 list, wrote down everything I was interested in ( I then hit up all the sub lists) look up the books it recommends for books you really liked. Then I went to the used book store and read a few pages of each I could find until I had a nice stack of what I wanted ( and a marred list with scratches across ones I didnt)

Maark Abbott

Nightwise

Plus I'm halfway through

and it's amazing!
SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION would happen if my book was out but it isn't so BAH.

You might want to try Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott. It's mediaeval, super dark and has the most convincing villain seen thus far in a book.

Gday,
I was going to make a recommend me thread but luckily spotted this one first!
I'm looking for some reading material. Love: Joe Abercrombie's First Law Series and Brent Week's Lightbringer series. Enjoyed Game of thrones, and made it half way through The Spider's War.
I don't mind Locke Lamora and Tigana but I struggled a little to get through them.
I tried Gardens of the Moon (Steven Eriksson?) and really wanted to like it but I just couldn't make it through the first 2 books. I don't like Mistborn or The Name of the Wind, Same with black company, Robin Hobb and Terry Goodkind. either :(

Any ideas? I tried to list as much as possible,
Thanks!

ExTended

The Broken Empire trilogy for something gritty and very much character-driven. Its an anti-hero type of fantasy similar to Joe Abercrombie's style of gray characters.

Then there is The Stormlight Archive which has somewhat similar feel to The Lightbringer series as far as worldbuilding goes.

And also there is The Magician trilogy by Lev Grossman, which turns some tropes around and has a quite gloomy mood.

And of course, maybe it's a too obvious choice, but still... The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. Somewhat less complex read compared to his more recent series, but a fun one nonetheless.

The Broken Empire trilogy for something gritty and very much character-driven. Its an anti-hero type of fantasy similar to Joe Abercrombie's style of gray characters.

Then there is The Stormlight Archive which has somewhat similar feel to The Lightbringer series as far as worldbuilding goes.

And also there is The Magician trilogy by Lev Grossman, which turns some tropes around and has a quite gloomy mood.

And of course, maybe it's a too obvious choice, but still... The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. Somewhat less complex read compared to his more recent series, but a fun one nonetheless.
Thanks. I've read the nightangle trilogy and agree, its a bit simpler but was nice and easy.

I started the Magician Trilogy (and a tv show I think) but it just wasn't my thing. Ditto with Prince of thorns trilogy, however I really liked his Prince of Fools trilogy! Odd that I loved one but couldn't even read the other?

I have the first of the Stormlight Archive books Way of Kings, and I'm trying to get through it.

I'm still trying to find out why I don't seem to like so many Fantasy books! I keep coming back to the genre but I'm either fussy or can't get into the more complicated ones, I don't really know how to explain it. I just finished the Unhewn Throne/Emperor's blades Trilogy. I liked that but it had a bit of the old 'one guy effortlessly kills so manyeasily' thing going which I don't like...might be why Prince of throns is a no go.