I like *this* so recommend me.....

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Jon Snow, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Yes, I am the future Archdemon, Kurumizawa Satanichia McDowell, bow before me, WAAAHAHAHAHA... wait. Why am I roleplaying Satania?

Ahem. I haven't read the second Mistborn trilogy. To be honest, WoK was so bad that it's soured me to Sanderson's output - I'll stick with his early works because they at least I enjoy a great deal.

2. Favienne

Favienne Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

Hey! I'm new here not really sure how this goes but I'm stuck and need help with books. I've read and love Malazan book of the fallen, the broken empire which included Prince of Thorns and loved the series. I also loved the other trilogy by Mark Lawrence, the Red Queens War. I also loved the First law by Joe Abercrombie. I also love urban fantasy such as Ilona Andrew Kate Daniel's and Mercedes Thompson. I didn't like Thomas Covenant the first book was too dramatic. I also didn't the Prince of Nothing and Robin Hobb's writing. I just like really believable characters that aren't perfect but also don't focus so much on their faults that they can't get anything done.

3. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

You posted in the correct thread. Welcome to the forum!

Based on your likes/dislikes I would suggest the following:

To check out:
    First Law World standalones by Joe Abercrombie. In my opinion these are even better than the First Law trilogy itself.
    The Malazan books by Esslemont. Have you read these as well? They're purported to be quite good. Also, Erikson has written a number of standalones and prequel books since he finished the 10 book main-series. Might be worth checking out.
    The Traitor's Son Cycle by Miles Cameron. Solid books with good characterization and spot-on Medieval warfare/combat. This is a militaristic fantasy which keeps you turning the pages until late in the night.
    The Gentleman Bastard Sequence by Scott Lynch. A bit of urban fantasy. A heist story. Some steampunk elements. And of course a great cast of characters.

To avoid:
    The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Why? Because of this: I just like really believable characters that aren't perfect but also don't focus so much on their faults that they can't get anything done. The KKC books are the exact opposite.

4. Favienne

5. Favienne

Thanks I didn't like The lies of Locke Lamora. I also didn't like Night Angel by Brent Weeks for the same reason. I'm not sure why, I guess it was the setting. But not just that. They have the same feel though

6. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Hi Favienne. Your likes and opinions of them fit right in around here that's for sure. My recommendation is the Immortal Treachery series by our own Allan Batchelder starting with book one, Steel, Blood & Fire. We like it here because it's really good not just because he's a nice guy. He is currently working on the final book of the five volume series. Nice price too.

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Blood-...90027319&sr=1-1&keywords=steel+blood+and+fire

7. Favienne

Alright thanks. I'll check it out.

8. ectheliar

ectheliar Possibly a Darkfriend

I'm so glad I found this forum, it's exactly what I've been looking for. I'd greatly appreciate if someone could help me out!:)
    It's been a while since I've read a fantasy book where I thought Wow, that was really great. In fact the last great book I read was The Name of the Wind. I'm also a big fan of George R.R. Martin and I recently read my first graphic novels, Mark Smylie's Artesia trilogy.
    I'd be happy with any recommendations for a great, engrossing, mature epic/ high fantasy book or series of books, but what I'm really looking for right now is a epic/ high fantasy book with a strong female lead who kicks ass. Unfortunately, it seems all fantasy books with a strong female lead are YA - I'm not into YA. I prefer something for adults, something complex, with mature content. I'm also looking for something original. I can't take another kid/ teenager who discovers (s)he is some chosen one with special gifts no one else has and is the only one who can save the world. :dead:
    If anyone can recommend something like that, I'd be really grateful.

9. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

One of the strongest female leads I can think of is in Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie but you should really read the First Law trilogy first. It is fantastic and BSC is my favorite standalone fantasy.

Also, the obligatory Malazan mention. Tons of strong female characters in it.

10. Silvion Night

Sounds if you might like Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. It is a standalone novel, set in the First Law universe. I think you'll get the most out of it if you have read the First Law trilogy first though, but it should hold up well enough on its own. It has one of the strongest female leads I've ever come across. Great stuff.

Something completely different; have you ever read Terry Pratchett? It's not what I would call epic fantasy, but if you are looking for a strong female lead then you will be enamored by the Witches storyline and the Tiffany Aching storyline.

11. Peat

Peat Became a Faceless Man

The Deverry Cycle by Katherine Kerr (first book Daggerspell) fits what you're looking for, as does a lot of Mercedes Lackey's books - Vows and Honour, the Mage Winds, and By The Sword. Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion series has a woman that really nails the whole D&D Paladin thing.

Also if you're into your comic books, maybe look at Saga and Rat Queens.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kenubrion

Ditto on Peat's rec of Paksennarion, the best female heroine. Also the Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliott stars numerous very strong women who are warriors as well as rulers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Silvion Night

I agree with Kenubrion's recommendation of Crown of Stars and Peat's rec of the Deverry Cycle. Both feature strong female leads (up to a point), both are epic series (although the Deverry books drag on a bit near the end of the series). Can't believe I forgot them!

14. ectheliar

ectheliar Possibly a Darkfriend

Thanks very much!! I'll check them out. They sound very promising.
    I was also thinking about reading Mistborn, the series seems to be quite popular.

15. Peat

I'd add that the number of kickass women - plenty of strong women still, but with less kicking of ass - goes down significantly as the Deverry cycle goes on, so feel free to read the first four and drop it afterwards; the first four are a complete series in their own right.

16. ExTended

ExTended Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Hope and Red by Jon Skovron - one of the two POV characters is a female and kicks ass. It's a very fast-paced read and it's almost grimdark in tone. I've checked now and the 2nd book of the series was published February 28th - awesome!

Widdershin's Adventures( the Graphic audio version) by Ari Marmell - I have gone through 2 of the 3 books in this trilogy? - it's something like young adult meets Locke Lamora meets grimdark. It's not a super complex read, but at the same time it's quite entertaining.

The Bear And The Nightingale( I think the author was Katherine Adder) - I am not sure how to describe that one actually. In it's core it's a coming of age story featuring a young russian girl that ages thorough the book, the dynamics of her rural russian (feudal) family and the battle between the order of the new modern society vs the pagan magic and its manifestations. The story takes place in Medieval Russia. The book combines the themes of dogmas, paganism, the dying wisdom of the old, the harshness of nature and the harshness of magic. Russian winters kill, even in the best of times, and the times of the book are not normal at all, and one young girl has to find a way to save her family, before it consumes itself in its folly. I am currently about 80-90% in, and it's going great. There are some coming-of-age elements, also if you know the russian folklore is kind of flimsy in some of it aspects and that is woven in the book, but over-all it's a story about harsh times and the consequences of decisions. Something like that.

17. Peat

Oh yes, Mistborn fits what you're looking for too.

18. alicia

alicia Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

Wow, this thread has really moved on. Now I have to read about 50 suggested books to catch up!

19. kenubrion

Nice to have you back.

• Agree Agree x 1