I like *this* so recommend me.....

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Jon Snow, Jun 13, 2009.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

It's pretty much similar writing style to his First Law books, albeit with less reference to testicles/fruits/bollocks etc etc....

I really liked the first book, thought the second one was strong, but felt thoroughly let down by the third.

They are a bit more tame than his other works, but not ridiculously so. I'd say give them a shot, although don't go in with high expectations.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

It's toned down in terms of language and sex, but there's still plenty of violence. Don't expect it to be First Law and you'll probably be fine.

3. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Can you explain why in a non spoilery way?

4. TomTB

Not really. The book took a turn which left me feeling decidedly underwhelmed

5. Alucard

Ok thanks Tom. You too Ryan.
    It seems I'll have to mull over it some more.

6. Jaden_Diamondknight

Jaden_Diamondknight A farm boy with a sword

Should I read The Black Company, guys? Seems interesting to me, but I would rather get some advice, first.

7. Alucard

People who read Malazan and like it usually like Black Company in a similar way. So, have you read Malazan and how do you like it?

8. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

It's pretty good in my opinion. But don't let me convince you. Read this post by @Anti_Quated and you'll be running to the book-store to buy the entire series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I see you're reading the Gunslinger. How do you like it so far?

10. Alucard

It's just weird. No real opinion on it yet.

11. Maxal

Maxal Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry

I could never muster the courage to pick up the third Gunslinger book: two were enough for me.

12. Jaden_Diamondknight

Jaden_Diamondknight A farm boy with a sword

No. I haven't read Malazan yet. Do you recommend me the series?

13. Alucard

Yes. What Wheel of Time represented for fantasy in '90s, that's what Malazan did in '00s.
    Malazan is an epitome of epic fantasy, and if you like that subgenre, you must read Malazan as a fantasy fan. I don't think there's anything more epic than it currently.

What do you mean by muster the courage?

14. Maxal

Maxal Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry

I wasn't sure about it. I thought it was very strange and nothing was explained: I basically had to take everything which is happening a face value without truly understanding why it happens. Also, the characters were very strange and not all that sympathetic. The dialogues were very off-putting, to me at least.

I didn't really feel like reading more of it, I decided it probably wasn't my cup of tea in terms of book.

15. Alucard

I do this every time I pick up a Malazan book :D I love it.

Ok that makes more sense. When you said 'muster your courage' I thought these books scare you, so you didn't want to subject yourself to more horror.

16. TomTB

Can anyone recommend me (for a Twitter follower) an epic fantasy style book/series, which is light in number of characters and number of places, and which isn't full of terms to remember?

17. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Optimistic?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Alucard

Michael J. Sullivan might be a fit. 2 main characters, lots of comedy, lighthearted stuff. Don't need much brain power to go through those.
    Robin Hobb might work as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

My strong agreement with Alucard on Michael Sullivan, Tom. It's just so enjoyable, action filled, and full of wry humor between the two very different protagonists. Not a lot of characters, the ones you start with stick around. Enjoyable people to get to know and the action isn't dependent on magic but rather skill. These guys are really dangerous but keep it hidden unless needed. The author recommends starting with the first trilogy, The Ryria Revelations. This is epic fantasy that fits your desires perfectly.

Theft of Swords is the first book.

20. ExTended

ExTended Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Seconding the Michael J. Sullivan recommendations.

Not sure if The Lies of Locke Lamora could be called epic, but it's very close to the requirements mentioned above. The Nigh Angel trilogy is of a similar ink too. Add The Queen's Thief series to the bunch.

The Dagger And The Coin is relatively easy to follow too. There were like three main characters with POVs in the first book if I remember correctly, and it never goes higher than 5 POVs per book and even when it does, it's done very smoothly.

The Chronicle Of The Unhewn Throne is easy to follow almost-epic-fantasy. Quite dumb characters though.

The Lightbringer series has 3 or 4 POV characters for the most part. The magic system isn't very simple, but other than that it's quite fine for newbies.

The Blood Song is also not too complicated, however the second and third book are of a questionable quality.