I like *this* so recommend me.....

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Jon Snow, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

On The Black Company... its very pared to the bone. There's the story in front of you and not a whole lot of description or explanation. Don't know if that helps you Jaden. I can't say I enjoyed it hugely myself, but its a series I'd recommend to every fantasy fan providing that a) you're paying little but time to find out whether you like it b) it doesn't trip a red flag.

Non-sprawling Epics... the Belgariad is pretty tight.

2. Jaden_Diamondknight

Jaden_Diamondknight A farm boy with a sword

Don't worry. I hate when novels explain me shit that's not related to the plot.
    Thanks for the data. :p

3. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

It's great Jaden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Since I’m already following way too many ongoing series, can anybody confirm me that:

- City of Miracles is the last installment of The Divine Cities?
    - Tyrant’s Throne is the last installment of The Greatcoats?

Thanks

5. ofer

ofer Journeyed there and back again

Yes. No planned sequel to The Devine Cities.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tripleoption

tripleoption Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

The Magicians Trilogy is phenomenal however. Great on so many levels.

7. tripleoption

Way of Kings seems to take some getting into. So many characters, plotlines, etc. I nearly just put it down but I am glad I stuck it out. Great series.

8. tripleoption

IMHO you missed out. I read the whole series back to back and loved it...despite a few false starts where I read the first book and didn't move on.

9. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Surgebinds with Szeth-son-son-Vallano

Edit: I forgot that I asked this already. Feel free to ignore it.

I find the lack of medievil fantasy novels on my to-read list disturbing. Please suggest more.

Yesterday I found out that I have a massive lack of medievil fantasy novels on my to-read list on goodreads.

First of all, the TL'DR version. Feel free to read only it and reply.

Looking for more medievil fantasy novels. Preferably about people who aren't royalty or war soldiers, and I really like assassins, magic users, adventurers etc. Nothing with a very high amount of world building, and no young adult. Otherwise, suggest away!

Feel free to stop reading this now and reply.

As I was saying I know how this happened, I was afraid that I'd get myself almost nothing but medieval fantasy on my to-read pile if I didn't stop myself, and I also feared becoming someone who could only get into medieval fantasy if I read too much, and now I have the exact opposite problem. Almost all my fantasy to-read list is now urban fantasy, and dear god do I need to read at least a LITTLE less of that now!

Dresden is awesome though!

Anyways, I have a big thing for assassins, my favorite series being Night Angel by Brent Weeks. Love how compelling the main character is, as was most of the cast, and the combat is really really great.

[book:The Way of Shadows|3227063], [book:Shadow's Edge|3754016], [book:Beyond the Shadows|3754026]

I've read a couple of the books in the Shadowdance series. It's great when I'm in the mood to see something overly violent, without being completely mindless, with a pretty likable cast.

[book:A Dance of Cloaks|9601799]

I've read a few medievil fantasy novels that I liked until near the end that were focused a lot more on magic, and I wanna keep looking for more like them so I can find what I'm looking for.

Here's some examples:

[book:Furies of Calderon|29396]Furies_of_Calderon, [book:The Last Stormlord|6765788], [book:The Warded Man|3428935]

Again, I didn't like these, but that was mostly because I didn't like the endings iirc(well, except of codex alora, had to force myself to read most of that). I don't see why I wouldn't like more great titles like them. Hell, feel free to try to convince me to continue Warded Man(aka demon cycle). and I'got myself to continue The Last Stormlord. Read the first chapter last night, and I liked it.

And there was [book:Hope and Red|25804214] where I really loved the magic and pirate themes, and although I rated it as decent, the more I think about it, I probably underrated it. Loved the unique take on magic.

And yeah, I need to actually read some shit about straight up adventurers or adventuring parties in general. Sure, I liked [book:The Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition|68418] but I'd like some stuff aimed at an older crowd.

Would also love to read some more lighthearted stuff(Yep, that's right people that know me, you heard me!)

Thanks everyone, espeically if you read all of this.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  10. freeridden

freeridden Killed in the battle against the Mad King

Sorry. I'm back again.

I failed finding anything I like. I think I'm kinda helpless when it comes to finding things I like. I never really branched out into fantasy except for The Hobbit and LOTR. When I saw the first season of GOT, I went out and got the audiobooks. I was really impressed and enthralled in the story. Then I tried other things. Malazan...failed. Mistborn...terrible characters and story. (I think he's just popular because his crazy LDSaints church buddies fawn over him.) Hobb...awesome. I just finished the last book. Tried Lightbringer, Kingkiller, Night Angel, Ryria, Broken Empire, but I couldn't finish. I liked all of Ambercrombe. Why am I so picky? Honestly, I try new stuff and then it sucks, so I go back and reread Hobb, Ambercrombe, ASOIAF, and Tolkien.

Any hope out there for recommendations?

11. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Yeah, you're picky alright! Maybe you could give Miles Cameron a try. His Traitor's Son Cycle (the first book of which is called the Red Knight) is pretty awesome. It takes some time to get used to the style, but once you're halfway through the book gains momentum and it is really engaging. Best military fantasy out there in my opinion.

Also, did you try the Black Company books by Glen Cook? Your liking of Abercrombie and Martin tells me you might like those books as well.

12. S. K. Inkslinger

S. K. Inkslinger Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

I love action-packed fantasies like works of Brandon Sanderson and Brent Weeks. Can anyone recommend me something similar? :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 3:08 PM
  13. kenubrion

Allan Batchelder is writing a great epic grimdark fantasy series called Immortal Treachery which begins with Blood, Steel and Fire. The anti-hero, Tarmun Vykers, would make Logan Ninefingers and Karsa Orlong run home crying for their mommies. It's the best indie series being written these days and four of the five books are available with the finale being planned for a December release I believe. Highest recommendation.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017 at 12:34 PM
  14. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

David Gemmell is the best writer of action-heavy fantasy I know of. Maybe a little magic-lite for some.

SK, have you read Abercrombie? I feel like you have, but if not, look there. And since you were asking about Dresden on another thread, it would be remiss of me not to say that Jim Butcher does a good action scene.

15. S. K. Inkslinger

S. K. Inkslinger Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

@Peat Good action+ wizard in urban fantasy setting. I think I'm going to like the writings of Jim Butcher. ;) I haven't read Abercrombie yet, so I'm positively adding his name and David Gemmel's to my TBR list! (Although it's growing so large now it's threatening to collapse atop of me, haha)

16. The bard`s song

The bard`s song A Muggle

Hi everybody,

I am looking for some more books/series to read which have been completely translated to German.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of great series that don`t sell well enough so Publishers just stop in the middle.
    Right now I have started The Black Company and so far so strange. Other than that I have the whole Shadowmarch series waiting on the shelf.
    I have read a lot so I just picked some series I have not yet read which seem interesting to me - any comments would be great.

Regarding my personal taste: ASoIaF / GoT is the non-plus-Ultra in my books when it Comes to Fantasy. I just love the Setting, the Story, the characters.
    I prefer stuff in a traditional medieval Setting. Knights, armors, tournaments, Castles, big wooden Areas, icy North etc. etc.
    Although I prefer traditional stuff the Story should not be too simplistic.

Other authors I like are Joe Abercrombie, Miles Cameron, Daniel Abraham, David Anthony Durham, Brian Stavley, Tad Williams, Brian Ruckley, Greg Keyes, Paul Kearney, Col Buchanan, David Gemmell, Patrick Rothfuss, Robin Hobb,...

So here are some series that are completed in German that look interesting to me:

Kate Elliott - Crown of Stars
    Pretty sure I will read this sooner than later as it sounds like being right up my alley. The Problem is that it might take a while until I found all German books for reasonable Prices.
    J.V. Jones - Book of Words
    It seems that this one is not as great as Sword of Shadows but it is finished. Would this be too simplistic for adult Readers?
    John Marco - The Jackal of Nar
    I saw this one mentioned quite a few times but someone compared it to Goodkind so how good/bad is it?
    Dave Duncan - A Man of his Word
    I read one book of the King`s blade which was quite entertaining. However, I would prefer something with a storyline spread over more than one book so what about this one?
    Jim Butcher - Codex Alera
    I am turned off by the Pokemon meets Roman history premise but I heard this is quite good. Sounds more like for YAs though?
    Harry Connolly - The Great Way
    Never heard of this guy but somehow he managed that this trilogy has been completely translated by the biggest Publisher on the German market. Any good?
    Guy Gavriel Kay - Fionavar
    This guy seems to be a bit hit and miss for me. What about his first trilogy - interesting for grown-up (grown-old) Fantasy Readers?
    Kelly McCullough - Fallen Blade
    Is this one for younger Readers?

There are some other authors/books like WoT, Stephen Donaldson etc. but those are discussed a lot so I would mainly be interested in opinions on works not mentioned that often.

Thanks everybody!

• Like Like x 1
  17. kenubrion

Hello bard's song. You were correct in listing Crown of Stars first, and you should read it first. Dave Duncan's Man of His Word is great, and the tetralogy has another tetralogy after it. You'll love it. Then Book of Words, which is great as well, and J.V. Jones is going to begin writing her other series again. Then Codex Alera.

You are fortunate to have such excellent series available to you.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017 at 1:13 PM
  18. The bard`s song

The bard`s song A Muggle

Thanks a lot. While collecting the Crown of Stars books (which are a bit harder to find in German) I might start with Duncan and Jones.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The bard`s song

The bard`s song A Muggle

You know what? Just looked around in some online used book stores and found all German Crown of Stars books for 30 EUR all together.
    This is quite ok as just the last 2 books always have been between 20 and 50 EUR each the last few times I checked it.
    So with Shadowmarch and those I might be busy for quite some time :)

20. kenubrion

Good for you! It's a good sign. You're right, Crown and Shadowmarch will indeed keep you reading for a while.