I like *this* so recommend me.....

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Can anyone recommend me some science fiction horror books or some good horror books, I’m trying to stay away from SK though as I’ve read a lot of his books this year. Post apocalyptic books can be added either from a pandemic or zombie (I have read The Stand and Swans Song) virus.
Added to kenubrion's recommendations:

Post-Apocalyptic world (pandemic):
Earth Abides
The Postman

Post-Apocalyptic world (zombies):
World War Z
I am Legend (the zombies are more like vampires, but the vibe is the same)

Horrors:
Have you tried anything by Dan Simmons? He's the writer of the sci-fi hit 'Hyperion', but he's also written some engaging horror stories. Of these, I liked 'The Terror' best and Carrion Comfort least.

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
Can anyone recommend me some science fiction horror books or some good horror books, I’m trying to stay away from SK though as I’ve read a lot of his books this year. Post apocalyptic books can be added either from a pandemic or zombie (I have read The Stand and Swans Song) virus.
Not pandemic or zombie but the Silo series by Hugh Howey is a very good post-apoc.

TheBloodyNine85

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Sincerely, give John Dies At The End by David Wong a chance. It is horror/scifi/humor of the highest order. The sci fi element comes in as the story moves forward and we begin to discover what our "heroes" have stumbled into. There is almost no books that combine humor with serious story telling that is effective, (Ready Player One comes to mind). Usually the book will not really have any "teeth" because the humor disarms the attempts at making you believe something really bad could happen here. John Dies At The End hits on every cylinder. At some of the most tense moments I would literally laugh snort because of Dave's dark or out of left field thoughts that totally fit. G
Give it a shot. Won't take long to know if it is for you or not.

TheBloodyNine85

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Ok, before I begin, I wanna say this.

As someone(who I assume wants to remain annoymous) has mentioned, I've been kinda mean in my responses to recommendations that I've been given in the past. I wanna apologize for that. I appreciate any recommendation anyone is willing to give, and if you'll give me some, I'll keep my mouth shut if it doesn't interest me(Unless you want me to do otherwise). Just please, whatever you're willing to recommend that you think that there's a small chance it'll pique my interest, please do so.

This is some of the things that I know for sure that I like, but feel free to recommend anything. Forget what I said before, we can start fresh, as I found out that you can preview almost anything on goodreads.com, and I'll try to read the first chapter of everything that gets recommended, and I'll judge from there.

1. Sword and Sorcery Adventures with likable characters. This is the probably the easiest thing to recommend to me.

2. Assassins and Mages.

3. Dystopian/Dark Future Fantasy, be it cyberpunk, post apocalyptica, or whatever.

4. A story about a group of people who maybe aren't adventurers.

5. Something heavy on combat

6. Vampires of all sorts.

7. Dark and Lighthearted fantasy.

8. YA and Adult Fantasy.

9. A whole book devoted to characters on the run from something dangerous., or maybe just something that crosses the realm into half fantasy, half horror in general.
Just finished Stephen King's The Institute. First King book in years that I have liked, or even been able to finish. I didn't just like it but I loved it. Made me remember why I used to be a Stephen King fan.