Ideas for credit give away?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I don't know how much $$ they've got from Amazon affiliates, but there could be a new Kindle giveaway (with a gift card for an equivalent amount for people who live where they can't legally download ebooks from Ammy) with credits used for entries. Or really large amounts of credits for smaller Ammy gift cards.

epicfantasyfreak

Journeyed there and back again
Not a "credit giveaway," more "something to do with your credits," but perhaps someone could spend a few billion credits to gain greater influence on the crowd-ranked version of the list (gain an extra +1 when they vote)? Of course, if the price is too low, that would just turn those into @Danica's lists. :wacky: :hilarious:

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
i have my own lists which totally need to be updated.'

I wanted a fun way to get rid of my credits. Ben can sort out his own haha

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
You could do a competition? I gave away 20 million doing that, which seems a bit stingy now given I've got about a million gazillion credits.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
A 'guess my weight' competition possibly isn't very PC for a lady though! :)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Why don't we do a reading competition for a 15 days or a month period for example, with a subset of challenges and who ever finishes the most challenges wins the credits from the "credit pot" where everyone who wants to participate must contribute? For example 20 mil per contestant?
Subset of challenges can be anything, for example.
-finish a book with red on cover
-finish a book with pictures in it
-finish a book with less than 200 pages
-finish a book with more than 500 pages
-finish a series (can be duology, trilogy, whatever)
-finish a YA/children's book
-finish whatever....

You get my drift..
All this can be arbitrary and agreed upon, challenges and credit participation. Also some challenges can be covered by one book, for example a YA book with red on it. That strikes two challenges off the list.
So really the point of this challenge would be to play smart.

I do have to admit, I was inspired for this by Booktube-a-thon Challenge ;) .

Last edited:

Alucard

Staff member
@Alucard I LOVE IT!!! let's do it!

Oh and no I will not be doing a guess my weight challenge as I don't even want to guess at my own!
Great :D
I would like to hear it from the rest of the guys, on who would want to participate.
Maybe also we can set a minimum of credits participation (say 50 million) and maximum is whatever people want to put up? Personally, if this happens, I would put 1 billion credits.
We also should agree when we can hold this contest? 15th to 30th September?
Maybe also the winner could get 5-10$ amazon gift card? @Jon Snow can we do this? :D If this thing happens maybe we could make it annual BFB reading competition?
And we need more sub-challenges, say 20 of them would be good? So anyone with a recommendation please write it out.

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
Great :D
I would like to hear it from the rest of the guys, on who would want to participate.
Maybe also we can set a minimum of credits participation (say 50 million) and maximum is whatever people want to put up? Personally, if this happens, I would put 1 billion credits.
We also should agree when we can hold this contest? 15th to 30th September?
Maybe also the winner could get 5-10$ amazon gift card? @Jon Snow can we do this? :D If this thing happens maybe we could make it annual BFB reading competition?
And we need more sub-challenges, say 20 of them would be good? So anyone with a recommendation please write it out.
I like it but I'a bit like Smaug and horde my credits. :shifty:

Alucard

Staff member
I like it but I'a bit like Smaug and horde my credits. :shifty:
lol
If you're like Smaug, you'll want to horde our credits as well. You have to win to get them though :p No fire-breathing please, only play it smart :)

Alucard

Staff member
Message with the idea and I'll ponder. Will most likely be a yes.
Cool ;)
Well, let's hear it from Danica and the rest of the guys on the willingness to participate in the challenge.
There's still a lot of details to be worked out, so post your ideas people. :artist:

Alucard

Staff member
Well, you've all been very quiet but I've made a list of possible challenges down below. If anyone wants to add more, please write here.
I haven't heard from any of you on whether you would like participate in this. It's very unlikely that anyone can finish all of these, but that's not the point either. I think at the end of the day, if people join in, this kind of thing can be fun, informative and rewarding in itself. (plus maybe a little bonus for whoever finishes the most challenges from BFB's pot of gold, courtesy of Jon Snow, our resident leprechaun in charge :D)
A challenge like this could shake you out of your comfort zone, let you experience more versatile books than you normally would, and it's a great opportunity to connect us all as a community here on BFB. We never did anything like this, and maybe we should try.
We could hold this from 09/15-09/30 or 10/1-10/15. That's a two week period. Not too long to interfere with your reading plans (too much), but not too short that you can't finish some of these. Let us know here what suits you better.
  1. a book by your favorite author
  2. a new to you author (someone YOU haven't read before)
  3. a new release (2014 book)
  4. a book that was first published in a year when you were born
  5. an award winning book (Hugo, Nebula, BSAF award, Mythopoeic Award, Locus awards (SF and Fantasy), BFS award, World Fantasy Awards, Philip K. Dick Award, Arthur C. Clarke Award - all of these count).
  6. a book that was/is banned somewhere from SF/F genre ( potential list available here)
  7. a book that has had adaptations (either movie or graphic novel, or any adaptation)
  8. a book that you have already bought but haven't read
  9. an audiobook
  10. a book where the MC is a person of color, or an author of color
  11. a book written by a woman
  12. a book that was originally published in language other than English
  13. a fantasy or science fiction classic
  14. a book from BFB's Top 25 Best Fantasy Books list
  15. a book from BFB's Top 25 Best Science Fiction Books
  16. a book influenced by mythology (could be Greek, Norse, Irish, Japanese...whatever)
  17. a book with pictures in it
  18. a book with more than 500 pages
  19. a book with less than 200 pages
  20. a horror book
  21. a YA book
  22. start and finish a series
  23. a book with a wizard/witch
  24. a book with a dragons
  25. a book with red or blue on the cover
  26. a book with animal(s) or non-human creature(s) (Elves, Fairies, Dwarfs and other suchlike beings count) on the cover
To save some money all of you can use the library. For people with ereaders in USA/Canada/UK/Australia/New Zealand you can check if your library is enrolled in Overdrive service where you can borrow ebooks for free. Of course you have to be enrolled in your local library.
https://www.overdrive.com/libraries?q=
For audiobooks, Audible, gives 1 free book with new trial membership.
The amount of credits you have to put as a deposit to participate can be 20 millions minimum, and maximum can be whatever you want. Depends on how generous you want to be, or if you want to get rid of credits like @Danica :D The winner gets all of those as well.

That's enough from me. Your move guys. ;)

Alucard

Staff member
@TomTheBeliever
Thanks Tom, I get your situation. I don't think this has to be a one time thing either, we could do this two times a year or more,depending on people's interest. So when you do have some time on your hand you can participate then. :)

Maybe a lot of people aren't into challenges here, I don't know. I find situation is quite opposite on Goodreads, youtube and some other forums.
Let's wait and see, and if people are interested awesome. If not, somebody else will have to help Danica give away credits because I'm all out of ideas :)

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
That is totally awesome! I think most people here are short on reading time, so maybe we can make this a longer term thing. Like over a few months and keep track of how we are going with just a thread were you just edit your original list with the dates, to save it being a crazy long page.

I'm in tho!

Alucard

Staff member
That is totally awesome! I think most people here are short on reading time, so maybe we can make this a longer term thing. Like over a few months and keep track of how we are going with just a thread were you just edit your original list with the dates, to save it being a crazy long page.

I'm in tho!
Thank you :oops: I'm in too of course.
How about we make it from October 1st to December 1st? That's two months to play with the challenge.

I agree. We should make a new thread "BFB's 2014 Reading Challenge List" (or something like that), and everyone who wants to play should reserve a spot. Copy/paste the challenges in your spot/post and tick them off as you read through. That should keep everything tidy.
We can also make a new thread "BFB's 2014 Reading Challenge Discussion" and people can talk and discuss about the books they read there.

Also do you have any suggestions, so we reach 30 challenges on this list?