Ideas for credit give away?

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
Never did one of those but I don't mind giving it a shot. Could be fun. And it's books that I'll read anyway - perhaps just in a different order on my TBR file.
I second Danica's idea to widen the timeframe to a few months.

Also do you have any suggestions, so we reach 30 challenges on this list?
How 'bout
27. a book with a one word title.
28. a book with a title of 6 or more words.
29. a non-genre book (i.e non fantasy, non SF, non horror)
30. a book that was adapted from a movie or a videogame (i.e first came the movie, then the book - the opposite from challenge 7).

a book that was/is banned somewhere from SF/F genre ( potential list available here)
That list is hillarious. Banning the Hobbit? What, did someone think they were too cute for kids? :facepalm:

Amaryllis

I can't do a short term one, but the optimist in me assumes I will stop being stretched so thin eventually, so I could do a longer-term one. I have already taken to sending members with low credit amounts fairly sized chunks (which will likely get bigger as interest gets more insane).

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
And it's books that I'll read anyway - perhaps just in a different order on my TBR file.
Exactly! I was hoping people would think about it that way.

I second Danica's idea to widen the timeframe to a few months.
Is two months ok for everyone or do we need more? Maybe 3 months? From October till the end of the year?

That list is hillarious. Banning the Hobbit? What, did someone think they were too cute for kids? :facepalm:
Sadly, that list is spot on. You can read why Hobbit and LotR is/was still banned in some places.
http://bannedbooks.world.edu/2011/03/13/banned-book-awareness-lord-rings-jrr-tolkien/

The most hilarious part for me is this:

Russ Moody, from the Plymouth Stop Smoking Service, said, “This is not about being a busybody – this is about protecting young people from harm and the aim is not to stop children from watching otherwise “enjoyable films”, but to put pressure on film makers not to include any smoking scenes.”

or

The other, most popular, reason behind censorship attempts is that some find the story to be “irreligious.” This comes as a shock since Tolkien was a devout Catholic, and long-time friend of Christian fantasy author C.S. Lewis. He even wrote in a letter to Lewis that the creation of the LOTR was a “fundamentally religious and Christian work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision.” This is reflected in several pages with quite noticeable Christian themes and subtexts. When Tolkien began creating the world of Middle-earth, he foresaw one that would reflect Christian views and incorporate basic elements of Christianity into the world of fiction.

Nevertheless is has been repeatedly banned in Christian schools (and homes) as being anti-Christian, and generally anti-religious.

One of the most recent, and highly criticized, reports of banning the work occurred in Alamogordo, New Mexico in 2001. A local group claimed the books were satanic and promoting witchcraft, and consequently, set about burning a large cache of the books outside the Christ Community Church.

How 'bout
27. a book with a one word title.
29. a non-genre book (i.e non fantasy, non SF, non horror)
30. a book that was adapted from a movie or a videogame (i.e first came the movie, then the book - the opposite from challenge 7).
Love it. We should maybe put under 29. a non-speculative fiction (SF, Fantasy, Horror) book, because crime, mysteries, romance, western are all genre fiction, and we would be cutting a lot with non-genre not only speculative fiction. Looking at your parenthesis I think you wanted to say books outside of speculative fiction anyway, not books outside all genre fiction :)

Alucard

Staff member
I can't do a short term one, but the optimist in me assumes I will stop being stretched so thin eventually, so I could do a longer-term one. I have already taken to sending members with low credit amounts fairly sized chunks (which will likely get bigger as interest gets more insane).
If we make it 3 months I'm sure everyone could participate. It's not about finishing all the challenges anyway :)
100 credits buy you an airplane ticket to australia for the future yearly meetings of BFB members?
100 credits only? But then, even Ben Peller could come :p

ofer

Is two months ok for everyone or do we need more? Maybe 3 months? From October till the end of the year?
Whatever everyone wants. Either 2 or 3 months sounds about right. It's got to be long enough to allow people who has less free time to participate, and short enough that people would not lose interest.

We should maybe put under 29. a non-speculative fiction (SF, Fantasy, Horror) book, because crime, mysteries, romance, western are all genre fiction, and we would be cutting a lot with non-genre not only speculative fiction. Looking at your parenthesis I think you wanted to say books outside of speculative fiction anyway, not books outside all genre fiction :)
Yeah, that's what I meant.

One of the most recent, and highly criticized, reports of banning the work occurred in Alamogordo, New Mexico in 2001. A local group claimed the books were satanic and promoting witchcraft, and consequently, set about burning a large cache of the books outside the Christ Community Church.
Manuscripts Don't Burn :)
(Sorry, couldn't resist quoting one of my favorite quotes. It's from Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita).

Griffin

Bit late to the show, had to work a lot these past few weeks. Great idea. I like the idea (and the longer timeframe; because I'll read some political and philosophical treatises next to my SFF-reading).

Alucard

Staff member
Great to hear more of you guys. Later in the month I'll make two threads in the Fantasy forum and make them stickies. @Danica (Is this ok with you?)

"BFB's 2014 Reading Challenge List" - where you should reserve your spot, say how much of credits you are putting in our pot of gold, and paste the list. Here you will mark the challenges as you go along. No discussion here, we keep things tidy.
"BFB's 2014 Reading Challenge Discussion" - where you can discuss the challenge to your little heart's content and curse my name for ever putting you up to this :D

The challenge will start on October 1st, and it will end on December 31st 2014.
Minimum amount of participation credits is 500 thousand credits but please be generous as you want.
You can join BFB's read-along/challenge any time between October and December.
Whoever wins, (finishes all challenges the fastest, or finishes most challenges) will get all the credits and maybe a gift card of 5-10$ on amazon.

Here is our compiled list so we have everything in one place.
  1. a book by your favorite author
  2. a new to you author (someone YOU haven't read before)
  3. a new release (2014 book)
  4. a book that was first published in a year when you were born
  5. an award winning book (Hugo, Nebula, BSAF award, Mythopoeic Award, Locus awards (SF and Fantasy), BFS award, World Fantasy Awards, Philip K. Dick Award, Arthur C. Clarke Award - all of these count).
  6. a book that was/is banned somewhere from SF/F genre ( potential list available here)
  7. a book that has had adaptations (either movie or graphic novel, or any adaptation)
  8. a book that you have already bought but haven't read
  9. an audiobook
  10. a book where the MC is a person of color, or an author of color
  11. a book written by a woman
  12. a book that was originally published in language other than English
  13. a fantasy or science fiction classic
  14. a book from BFB's Top 25 Best Fantasy Books list
  15. a book from BFB's Top 25 Best Science Fiction Books
  16. a book influenced by mythology (could be Greek, Norse, Irish, Japanese...whatever)
  17. a book with pictures in it
  18. a book with more than 500 pages
  19. a book with less than 200 pages
  20. a horror book
  21. a YA book
  22. start and finish a series
  23. a book with a wizard/witch
  24. a book with a dragons
  25. a book with red or blue on the cover
  26. a book with animal(s) or non-human creature(s) (Elves, Fairies, Dwarfs and other suchlike beings count) on the cover
  27. a book with a one word title
  29. a non-speculative fiction book (i.e non fantasy, non SF, non horror)
  30. a novelization from a movie or a videogame (i.e first came the movie, then the book - the opposite from challenge 7).

Last edited: