In games where you name the protagonist...do you use names from characters you like in novels?

Bill Door

Firsthanded the newest Caine adventure
I always do...I quit because it just takes up too much time, but my characters name in FF14 was Brinn (Thomas Covenant) Fallstar (Farseer) in the game.

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
No. For female characters, I've always defaulted to my own protagonist's name, Kaenna (so that's a bit different). For male ones, I tend to stick with the defaults

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
No. I either use my typical screen name, or something ridiculous like Tiny McSmalls. (And if I do that, I'll usually try to make the character as large as possible, in the character design screen.)

Amaryllis

In games where you name your character, I used to use my name, because that's what I thought you were supposed to do. It wasn't until my friends gave me shit for it that I stopped. Since then I either go with the default, or I look at the face and try to come up with something that fits.

I have used Gavril (Tears of Artamon, also a Balkan name, apparently) a few times. Not sure why. Maybe it's the fact that the name doesn't have a lot of baggage for me (only person with an even remotely similar name I know of is Gavrilo Princip), and it fits most medieval-BUT-DIFFERENT!!! fantasy settings, which is what most games are.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
In games where you name your character, I used to use my name, because that's what I thought you were supposed to do. It wasn't until my friends gave me shit for it that I stopped. Since then I either go with the default, or I look at the face and try to come up with something that fits.

I have used Gavril (Tears of Artamon, also a Balkan name, apparently) a few times. Not sure why. Maybe it's the fact that the name doesn't have a lot of baggage for me (only person with an even remotely similar name I know of is Gavrilo Princip), and it fits most medieval-BUT-DIFFERENT!!! fantasy settings, which is what most games are.
Strange.... I always name my RPG characters Franz Ferdinand.

Peat

Depends on the game. I'm told the proper way to do X-Com is to name all squaddies after your own friends, so you can berate them when the squaddie sucks.

rudyjuly2

For Dragon Age Inquisition I've played it through twice and both times I've used a favourite/current character from a fantasy book. So I'm with the op. My last characters was Vykers and he was a two handed warrior.

khrm

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Yes.

I always do...I quit because it just takes up too much time, but my characters name in FF14 was Brinn (Thomas Covenant) Fallstar (Farseer) in the game.
How does it takes too much time?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was highly original in Fallout 4 and gave my character my daughters name.

A similar level of originality was used when naming weapons. I have:

[Insert daughters name] submachine gun
[Insert daughters name] missile launcher
Etc

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I was highly original in Fallout 4 and gave my character my daughters name.

A similar level of originality was used when naming weapons. I have:

[Insert daughters name] submachine gun
[Insert daughters name] missile launcher
Etc
Is your daughter's name Annihilator by any chance? That would make your weapon names quite cool.