Introductions!

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
Glenda Larke is another one from Australia. On her blog, Sneaky criticized her for a number of scientific inaccuracies.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Glenda Larke is another one from Australia. On her blog, Sneaky criticized her for a number of scientific inaccuracies.
Hey, now, I don't single out Australian authors for scientific inaccuracies. I take 'em all on -- Americans, Australians, Brits, etc.

Anyway, I can actually think of a handful of Australian authors I've read (note: some of these may be from other places and currently living there, or may be from there and have since moved away, or in one case, passed away):

Juliet McKenna
Trudi Canavan
Sara Douglass
Karen Miller
Glenda Larke
Rowena Cory Daniells

Don't know why they're all women. I like some better than others. (Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these -- I'm going from memory and that could be faulty, depending on how far back I'm going to come up with the list...)

moonspawn

Hey, now, I don't single out Australian authors for scientific inaccuracies. I take 'em all on -- Americans, Australians, Brits, etc.

Anyway, I can actually think of a handful of Australian authors I've read (note: some of these may be from other places and currently living there, or may be from there and have since moved away, or in one case, passed away):

Juliet McKenna
Trudi Canavan
Sara Douglass
Karen Miller
Glenda Larke
Rowena Cory Daniells

Don't know why they're all women. I like some better than others. (Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these -- I'm going from memory and that could be faulty, depending on how far back I'm going to come up with the list...)

All of the Australian authors I've ever even heard of are women. I wasn't saying that you single out Australians. I just mentioned the inaccuracies because I can.

moonspawn

Have you heard of Ian Irvine???

Hm..... I don't know. Let me see.... from the multiple question marks I presume this is someone I should know about.... checking amazon.....oh..... I think I spelled it wrong. Wait! Nope, I didn't spell it wrong. Yeah, my gut feeling was right. Never heard of this guy.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Hm..... I don't know. Let me see.... from the multiple question marks I presume this is someone I should know about.... checking amazon.....oh..... I think I spelled it wrong. Wait! Nope, I didn't spell it wrong. Yeah, my gut feeling was right. Never heard of this guy.
hahaha yea he has lots of books at bookstores n i had a friend rec it to me. but told me there is never a happy moment, its all sad n heart breaking ... so i havent read it.

Nighteyes

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Hey hey hey. I have been talking shite on this forum for a couple days now and enjoy this little corner of the internet and all of the inhabitants so far. I just saw this thread and figured I should clue you all in on the awesomeness that is I.

My name is bill, 29 years old and I hail from new hampshire usa but I grew up in boston (yes, I have the accent, and no, I will not say "park the car in harvard yard") I have been reading fantasy for a few years. I read lord of the rings, fark tower, and wheel of time but I was really catapulted into the world of modern fantasy when I walked into a barns and noble and saw a book sitting on the new and notable table. The cover of said book caught my fancy and caused me to pick it up, heft it a little bit, get a good wiff and taste a couple pages. I decided that puppy needed to come home with me, so I walked it up to the cashier and adopted it.

I will say, without a doubt in my mind, that that book changed my life. So many doors were opened for me, and so many wonderful worlds to explore. I was always a casual reader until I got to the end of that book, and had to find similer titles whilst waiting for the second in the trilogy to be released. Martin, rothfuss, lynch, hobb, weeks, sanderson... without stumbling on this book, I might never have known the joy of these worlds. If I ever meet the man that wrote that wonderful, terrible, glorious story and introduced me to all of those twisted and self serving characters just trying to do their own version of the right thing, I might not be able to stop myself from giving him a hug and saying "thank you, you made my life that much better for doing what you do"

That book, of course, was the blade itself.

Well, other than fantasy, I am big into music, not into sports at all, and spend most of my time hanging out with my awesome wife and beautiful daughter.

I am a musician, and sing in a fantasy themed metal band. So far I have written a song about wheel of time entitled "machin shin" a song about the dark tower called "19" and a song about asoiaf called "we do not sow" I am currently writing lyrics for songs about first law and farseer.

Thats pretty much all I have to say on the subject that is me. Anything anyone wants to know, just ask. I am, as they say, an open book.

Antoxx

Hey Bill, awesome intro. Was wondering which book it was that got you hooked and like most people here couldn't agree more with you. First Law trilogy is way awesome. Good to have you on the Boards, you've been lighting it up since you got here. How old's your daughter? I've got a nearly 2 year-old (gets to travel free on flights which is awesome) and a 4 year-old.

Nighteyes

Haha thanks. My daughter is 4. She gets to ride trains for free since I work for the railroad.

Yea, I was building a little suspense, wondering if people would guess it was first law. Honestly, I got a little emotional typing all that out. Fantasy is a big part of my life, and my favorite escape from life.

I have a very large amount of free time in my line of work. So much so that I often think about trying my hand at writing a novel. I use to write a lot of short stories and poetry, and still write lyrics. Maybe at some point if anyone was interested I could post up a couple of my short stories of mine and get some opinions from all you fine worldly people to see if I should even bother trying to write something longer haha.

Antoxx

4 is a great age! Mine loves talking so there's never a dull or quiet moment in the house. Fantasy is my "me" time too, as I have a lot of other things in my life which are important to me but don't allow me solitude or to tune out. I firmly believe some escapism in the day is required to keep us sane!

There's plenty of folk here on the boards who have turned their hand to writing so you're in good company. There's also plenty of people here better qualified than I to talk about the pros and cons of submitting stuff to be read and how best to do this. Being an active member on the boards is certainly a good way to get folk interested in what you might have written though, so I don't think you should struggle too much in getting people to have a look at what you've written.

Nighteyes

What would be the best way and/or place to post stuff like that? I have one to hand that I could post now. Its very short. And by very, I mean very short indeed.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
What would be the best way and/or place to post stuff like that? I have one to hand that I could post now. Its very short. And by very, I mean very short indeed.

I was wondering maybe if you wanted to write a blog post for BFB? Like how The Blade Itself got you into fantasy. Essentially what you said in your intro but in a longer more detailed format. I reckon lots of people would love it.

Nighteyes

I would be more than happy to. How would we go about making that happen, I must confess I have never done anything like that before.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
yes, I have the accent, and no, I will not say "park the car in harvard yard"
Ah, the Boston accent. That takes me back to fall of 1996 as a college freshman when my father was actually required to park a car in Harvard Yard to move me into a dorm. Many of the campus police involved in directing traffic that day had the accent. I used to dread calling for a taxi because I could never quite understand the dispatcher (obviously a native Bostonian). I'd just say when and where I needed the taxi and hope for the best (or struggle mightily to drag my luggage onto the T). Now I am living in the South and am subjected to an entirely different accent, which I do have an easier time with.

At any rate, welcome to the forums.

Nighteyes

Haha, are we really that hard to understand? I know boston can be confusing for people not from there due to the fact that thr common names for things differ wildly from what is on a map. Street names are fun, I once had a couple from the midwest ask me how to get to "dot ave" one night. I explained to them that they were actually on dot ave. They told me that they were in fact on Dorchester ave, and I had to explain to them three times that Dorchester ave and "dot ave" are the same street. Other than dropping the r's in certain places and a few other odd nuances to the way we speak, I wouldnt think its difficult to understand but then again I have lived here my whole life.

also one thing I have noticed, people in boston use more foul language than anywhere else in the us. Its insane how bad of potty mouths we have haha.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Haha, are we really that hard to understand? I know boston can be confusing for people not from there due to the fact that thr common names for things differ wildly from what is on a map. Street names are fun, I once had a couple from the midwest ask me how to get to "dot ave" one night. I explained to them that they were actually on dot ave. They told me that they were in fact on Dorchester ave, and I had to explain to them three times that Dorchester ave and "dot ave" are the same street. Other than dropping the r's in certain places and a few other odd nuances to the way we speak, I wouldnt think its difficult to understand but then again I have lived here my whole life.

also one thing I have noticed, people in boston use more foul language than anywhere else in the us. Its insane how bad of potty mouths we have haha.
It was mostly the taxi dispatcher. A not-so-good connection (campus phone box on the outside wall of the dorm building) may have been a contributing factor. Also, I had a potty mouth long before I ever went to Massachusetts.