Introductions!

AyameMajikku

Stood on the wall with Druss
I suppose I should introduce myself... I'm often Ayame Majikku, though due to running some facebook RP groups, I'm getting used to being called by my real name, Niki. I love fantasy, though I often stay pretty busy... I'm also a huge gamer and have a backlog of games to get through, but... :D Well, I'll just go one day at a time and surely get there eventually~

I also love languages. I know some Japanese, though I rarely get to practice it. I'd like to at least learn the basics for some more... when I have time. OTL

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I suppose I should introduce myself... I'm often Ayame Majikku, though due to running some facebook RP groups, I'm getting used to being called by my real name, Niki. I love fantasy, though I often stay pretty busy... I'm also a huge gamer and have a backlog of games to get through, but... :D Well, I'll just go one day at a time and surely get there eventually~

I also love languages. I know some Japanese, though I rarely get to practice it. I'd like to at least learn the basics for some more... when I have time. OTL

Welcome to the forums!

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again

Welcome! Hope you have a nice time here.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member

Welcome for sure!

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
So, I totally missed this thread before. I'm 22...23 in about a month...and I stumbled upon this amazing site after I finished A Dance With Dragons. I became highly aware that fantasy was the genre for me. Before, I read a lot of different things. Primarily, James Patterson type novels (gags at the thought) until I was bored out of my mind. I'm a biology major. Working on my AA right now. Plan to obtain a PhD and become a professor. I work at factory that makes bleach...that's kinda interesting I guess. Oh and I have my avi tattooed on me. I have a lot of tattoos. I'm reading Best Served Cold right now...I'll probably finish it tomorrow...then I think I'm going to read the book club books!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Plan to obtain a PhD and become a professor.
Best of luck to you there. That was my original plan as well. Got the PhD (about a year ago) but am now working at an intellectual property law firm and planning to become a patent agent. Can't complain, though -- I am well-suited to the work and I didn't have to move after school.

As to my age, we don't need to talk about that. There are a few people on these boards older than I am, but not many.

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Thanks for the luck.... as for your age....I think once we pass 25 no woman cars to divulge that top secret information. ;)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Thanks for the luck.... as for your age....I think once we pass 25 no woman cars to divulge that top secret information. ;)
Sometimes I still get carded when I buy wine at the grocery store, at least.

Boreas

Staff member
Ok, my turn for introductions. I found this site about two weeks ago and after checking some of the threads, liked both the look of it and the members and decided to join. It's the second time in my life that I've participated in a forum; the first time being in the early/mid 2000s with a scanlation site dedicated mostly to Adachi's mangas, when they were scanlating 'Cross Game' on a weekly basis. Last I checked, they had shut down.

My name is Nirvan and I'm 34 years old. I left India when I was 10 when my family moved to London and then decided on Austria. I've mostly lived in Austria with a few years in the U.K., Switzerland and even Iceland for a year. I did spend 5 years in Canada and got my degree in Mathematics there (Analysis, mostly). I recently moved back to Vienna after 'leaving' my last job in India.

My love affair with fantastic fiction started when I was very young when my mother used to regale my siblings and I with tales from epics like the Mahabharata, the Illiad/Odyssey/tales of Herakles and the Greek gods, Arabian Nights and fairy tales/myths from Japan, Mesopotamia, Russia, etc. My father, being a Masters in Literature, made us read the classics. I had no idea that he was a sci fi guy until I discovered his Asimov, Clarke, Silverberg, Zelazny, Pohl collections when I was probably around 13 and started off with Asimov. I had read a lot of Jules Verne before and even Lewis' Narnia books, but Asimov took the whole experience to another level and I never looked back. I learned later on that he was also a comics fan and he told me he had much of the silver age Marvel/DC stuff (which would have been worth a small fortune now) but his parents threw them all away. Typical.

From about 15-18, I spent more time on the classics, but especially the American classics since I used to go to an American high school. What sucked me back into science fiction and fantasy was my bother pestering me to read LotR. I finally gave in when I was 18 and, except for that chapter when Tom Bombadil is introduced - that chapter took me nearly 2 bloody months to get through because it was so damn boring, was blown away by Tolkien. Then I found Moorcock; then Gemmell was my next favourite fantasy author for a while and then I discovered Guy Gavriel Kay. GGK remains one of my favourite fantasy authors. I am still prone to science fiction (especially hard sci fi and the space opera stuff) but I also love a good fantasy read, always have.

I've found myself reading a lot more non-fiction the last, say, 7 years...especially books on science (mostly physics, some maths), history and on psychology/neuroscience/brain studies. The few years with my last job were the worst...mostly books on management/marketing/production, hardly anything I really wanted to read, though I managed to sneak in some of the Abercombie novels, a few Culture novels by Banks and a couple of books by Reynolds.

Technically, I'm on sabbatical for 6 months and the plan was to renew my contract with the company, but I've decided that I'm not going to go back to that job. If I decide not to work within the next year, then I'll probably think about doing another Masters. Everything's up in the air right now. What I'm happy about is the fact that I've been reading loads the past 2 months and it's bliss. I've been playing a lot of squash (my second favourite sport) and am excited about the winter so that i can go skiing (my favourite sport). Can't stand the gym - I'll play sports or jog or hike over the gym any day.

Sorry, that was more long-winded than I expected it to be.

Last edited:

Adrian Diglio

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Hello and good day!

I am an author of the epic fantasy series: The Blacksmiths (a proposed octalogy). The first installment of the series, The Soul Smith, is currently being submitted to agents and publishers while I write book 2:

My short story, The Ravenous Flock, is a prequel to The Soul Smith and was published in Myths Inscribed ezine spanning two issues. It is now available for sale on Amazon as well.

I have put a lot of time in developing the world, magic system, and gods of this world, and have begun planning for a separate series called The Apotheosis Saga, which details how the demi-gods came to power.

I look forward to being an active member of this community!

Antoxx

Ok, my turn for introductions. I found this site about two weeks ago and after checking some of the threads, liked both the look of it and the members and decided to join. It's the second time in my life that I've participated in a forum; the first time being in the early/mid 2000s with a scanlation site dedicated mostly to Adachi's mangas, when they were scanlating 'Cross Game' on a weekly basis. Last I checked, they had shut down.

My name is Nirvan and I'm 34 years old. I left India when I was 10 when my family moved to London and then decided on Austria. I've mostly lived in Austria with a few years in the U.K., Switzerland and even Iceland for a year. I did spend 5 years in Canada and got my degree in Mathematics there (Analysis, mostly). I recently moved back to Vienna after 'leaving' my last job in India.

My love affair with fantastic fiction started when I was very young when my mother used to regale my siblings and I with tales from epics like the Mahabharata, the Illiad/Odyssey/tales of Herakles and the Greek gods, Arabian Nights and fairy tales/myths from Japan, Mesopotamia, Russia, etc. My father, being a Masters in Literature, made us read the classics. I had no idea that he was a sci fi guy until I discovered his Asimov, Clarke, Silverberg, Zelazny, Pohl collections when I was probably around 13 and started off with Asimov. I had read a lot of Jules Verne before and even Lewis' Narnia books, but Asimov took the whole experience to another level and I never looked back. I learned later on that he was also a comics fan and he told me he had much of the silver age Marvel/DC stuff (which would have been worth a small fortune now) but his parents threw them all away. Typical.

From about 15-18, I spent more time on the classics, but especially the American classics since I used to go to an American high school. What sucked me back into science fiction and fantasy was my bother pestering me to read LotR. I finally gave in when I was 18 and, except for that chapter when Tom Bombadil is introduced - that chapter took me nearly 2 bloody months to get through because it was so damn boring, was blown away by Tolkien. Then I found Moorcock; then Gemmell was my next favourite fantasy author for a while and then I discovered Guy Gavriel Kay. GGK remains one of my favourite fantasy authors. I am still prone to science fiction (especially hard sci fi and the space opera stuff) but I also love a good fantasy read, always have.

I've found myself reading a lot more non-fiction the last, say, 7 years...especially books on science (mostly physics, some maths), history and on psychology/neuroscience/brain studies. The few years with my last job were the worst...mostly books on management/marketing/production, hardly anything I really wanted to read, though I managed to sneak in some of the Abercombie novels, a few Culture novels by Banks and a couple of books by Reynolds.

Technically, I'm on sabbatical for 6 months and the plan was to renew my contract with the company, but I've decided that I'm not going to go back to that job. If I decide not to work within the next year, then I'll probably think about doing another Masters. Everything's up in the air right now. What I'm happy about is the fact that I've been reading loads the past 2 months and it's bliss. I've been playing a lot of squash (my second favourite sport) and am excited about the winter so that i can go skiing (my favourite sport). Can't stand the gym - I'll play sports or jog or hike over the gym any day.

Sorry, that was more long-winded than I expected it to be.
Awesome post @Boreas and great to have you on board as your sci-fi knowledge is great.

Jon Snow

Staff member
@Boreas welcome mate and good post.

I find amateur gym enthusiasts (me included) usually go to the gym with no goal or the wrong way going about their goals. I used to go and after a while just found it really boring. Now I have a goal and doing lots of reading about the types of exercises I find that I enjoy it a lot more. Yes, I do like playing social sports a lot more, but doing more of that won't help me with say, getting a lean look instead of a skinny look etc etc.

Anyways, glad to have you on board. You seem to have a wealth of life experience to work along side your sci-fi / fantasy knowledge.

Boreas

Staff member
Thanks, but my sci-fi knowledge has a big, gaping hole over the 2000s. I'll try to remedy that, soon.

Boreas

Staff member
Yes, I do like playing social sports a lot more, but doing more of that won't help me with say, getting a lean look instead of a skinny look etc etc.
Actually, body weight exercises and calisthenics will definitely help you get a lean look. The problem with weight lifting (besides the fact that I find it boring) is that most muscle groups are individually targeted but your body's movements use multiple muscle groups at the same time. So, body weight exercises are much more functional. Weight lifting would be useful in combination with a sport if I'm gearing up to compete in that sport...then I would need additional strength training for reaching those competition standards (though I think body weight exercises build great strength, too). For losing weight, I sprint (it also gives you that explosive action which is useful in any sport); jogging is for building endurance and stamina (doesn't really help you lose fat once you get used to it) and for the pleasure it gives me (i like getting into that jogging 'zone').

The other problem with weight lifting is that if you go to the gym regularly and then stop, your muscles atrophy very quickly and you lose a lot of mass. I don't think the same case applies when you just use your own weight to exercise.

Last edited:

Jon Snow

Staff member
The problem with weight lifting (besides the fact that I find it boring) is that most muscle groups are individually targeted but your body's movements use multiple muscle groups at the same time.
I'm not sure if you read a lot about exercise but it sounds to me you are doing a lot of machine work. If you look about strength training or just gym workouts, it is about compound exercises (which essentially exclusively what I do)

The main ones are squats, benchpress/overhead lift, deadlifts and power cleans. All of these exercises require you to use multiple groups of muscles to help lift and stabilise.

The other problem with weight lifting is that if you go to the gym regularly and then stop, your muscles atrophy very quickly and you lose a lot of mass. I don't think the same case applies when you just use your own weight to exercise.
You do need to go at least twice a week but if you are finding your muscles atrophying quickly, then might be because you lack the protein in your diet as well. You need to be eating 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh.

I'm a school teacher and sometimes life just gets in the way so I'm like doing 1 gym session in the week but I make sure I eat enough protein. I'm a small dude 5'7" 66kgs (approx 140pounds) so I'm not like some biased hulk =)

Boreas

Staff member
When I did use to go to the gym (many years ago), you're right, I did mostly machine work, which probably accounts for my negative perspective. Your definition of compound exercises also fits mine, albeit with body weight exercises only. I'm vegetarian, been so all my life. I get my proteins from pulses, nuts, soya and some grains (though it's not a true grain) like quinoa. I know, there's an old age debate about not getting the proper protein without meat, but I don't really lose the muscle mass that I have. My observation about losing muscle mass quickly when one stops weight lifting for long periods was not just based on my personal experience when I was using machines, but also from some others, who were not vegetarian. I'm still shorter than you but a little heavier, but my goal has never been to have big muscles. I want flexibility, muscles that are tough compared to big and a lean look - which I get from the body weight exercises, sports and yoga.

But you're right, I guess my view of weight lifting/going to the gym was primitive. Still, I find it boring.

Antoxx

I'm not sure if you read a lot about exercise but it sounds to me you are doing a lot of machine work. If you look about strength training or just gym workouts, it is about compound exercises (which essentially exclusively what I do)

The main ones are squats, benchpress/overhead lift, deadlifts and power cleans. All of these exercises require you to use multiple groups of muscles to help lift and stabilise.

You do need to go at least twice a week but if you are finding your muscles atrophying quickly, then might be because you lack the protein in your diet as well. You need to be eating 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh.

I'm a school teacher and sometimes life just gets in the way so I'm like doing 1 gym session in the week but I make sure I eat enough protein. I'm a small dude 5'7" 66kgs (approx 140pounds) so I'm not like some biased hulk =)
I've seen @Jon Snow in the flesh and while he describes himself as a mild mannered Clark Kent just wait until you see him angry after reading some deus ex machina!

chemicalximbalance

A farm boy with a sword
Name's Colton, nice to meet all of you!

I'm in my twenties, live in Oklahoma, and have been reading fantasy since I can remember. I read all the popular classic sci-fi and fantasy (Tolkien, Lewis, Wells, Verne, etc.) when I was really young, but I didn't really understand how compelling fantasy was to me until my dad gave me a Terry Brooks book (Isle Witch), when I was 13. I devoured the book, and I've never recovered since. I am somewhat picky about what books I read, but I tend to think that there is "something" worth reading in every book. In a lot of ways, those "somethings" have shaped me into the person I am: Drizzt Do'Urden taught me to respect (and protect) all life, Grianne Ohmsford showed me that redemption is never out of reach, Rand Al'Thor taught me that emotions make you strong, not callousness, etc. etc.

That sounds a bit cheesy, I know, but since this is an introduction I should probably let everyone know: I'm a bit cheesy.

Aside from reading, I'm really into exercising (any and all types). I've dabbled in everything from triathlons to bodybuilding. I love being outdoors; hiking, backpacking, camping, etc. I've been vegan (for the animals) for my entire adult life, and I've been straight edge (for those who don't know, straight edge a lifetime commitment to sobriety) for a decade. I also greatly enjoy music, and I've been known to play in bands every so often, mostly abrasive stuff (punk, metal, hardcore), but I'm also a huge fan of post rock, and I'm not willing to say that any one genre of music is worse than another, there is someone doing something in any genre worth listening to (same goes for books). I also write from time to time and one day I might subject myself to the embarrassment of posting some of that material here.

Oh, I also believe that all stories are real. If you want a better explanation, I can give you one, but you get to decide which: metaphysical or astrophysical.

P.S. I'm really into parentheses (obviously).

Jon Snow

Staff member
Welcome @chemicalximbalance ! Great post.

I myself exercise a lot and love it. Getting old though haha

Books are wonderful and they can teach us many things even if the author did not intend them to.

As the great Tyrion said "A mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep it's edge."