Introductions!

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
Name's Colton, nice to meet all of you!

I'm in my twenties, live in Oklahoma, and have been reading fantasy since I can remember. I read all the popular classic sci-fi and fantasy (Tolkien, Lewis, Wells, Verne, etc.) when I was really young, but I didn't really understand how compelling fantasy was to me until my dad gave me a Terry Brooks book (Isle Witch), when I was 13. I devoured the book, and I've never recovered since. I am somewhat picky about what books I read, but I tend to think that there is "something" worth reading in every book. In a lot of ways, those "somethings" have shaped me into the person I am: Drizzt Do'Urden taught me to respect (and protect) all life, Grianne Ohmsford showed me that redemption is never out of reach, Rand Al'Thor taught me that emotions make you strong, not callousness, etc. etc.

That sounds a bit cheesy, I know, but since this is an introduction I should probably let everyone know: I'm a bit cheesy.

Aside from reading, I'm really into exercising (any and all types). I've dabbled in everything from triathlons to bodybuilding. I love being outdoors; hiking, backpacking, camping, etc. I've been vegan (for the animals) for my entire adult life, and I've been straight edge (for those who don't know, straight edge a lifetime commitment to sobriety) for a decade. I also greatly enjoy music, and I've been known to play in bands every so often, mostly abrasive stuff (punk, metal, hardcore), but I'm also a huge fan of post rock, and I'm not willing to say that any one genre of music is worse than another, there is someone doing something in any genre worth listening to (same goes for books). I also write from time to time and one day I might subject myself to the embarrassment of posting some of that material here.

Oh, I also believe that all stories are real. If you want a better explanation, I can give you one, but you get to decide which: metaphysical or astrophysical.

P.S. I'm really into parentheses (obviously).
Nice one and welcome aboard Colton. Cheesy is good so long as it doesn't relate to your feet (you'll have to forgive my Dad jokes).

Matthew Johnson

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
New to here but not new to writing or reading fantasy. I have a novella "Retribution" out on kindle and a short story, "The Last Hunt" there as well. I am working on another novella, "Sacrifice" for a December release.

Bierschneeman

Everything I am able. From Jordan to Stevenson. I look for new authors on ebooks and established authors. "Doctor Sleep" is currently on my list... I know it falls under horror, but really it is urban fantasy.
hmm, i haven't read the shining yet, but I am familiar with the plot. a prequel, that can be all sorts of awesome, or all sorts of bad. TELL ME how it is when you'r done, we do have a horror fiction section as well.

Hameed Catel

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
HELLOOOOOO GOOD PEOPLE

How y'all doing... i've been a fan of best fantasy books for a while now, (like two years) it's where i usually get my list of fantasy books to read from but i just recently decided to take the plunge and dive into the forum world. Hopefully to meet like minded individuals that i can make friends with.

I myself am a comic writer... of the fantasy genre (obviously) i draw on influences from all sorts of areas, tv shows, books, animes, mangas, my culture, u name it... I want to share my latest project with you that i have on kickstarter before the days run out but i can't cause the forum won't let me post links.. basically it's a 70 page stand alone graphic novel. If you're interested go to google type in kickstarter and then type in Champion of Dema in the kickstarter search box and you will see me and my work :)

Having said all that, i have three questions
How do i change my name? (I want to remove the Hameed and only have Catel there)
How did i get a level description? (for example, mine said possibly a darkfriend, and now it's saying i'm a muggle, how does that get assigned to me and can i customize my own)
And where is Weiramon? (I met a really funny guy called Weiramon on a WOT forum, he was just like the real Weiramon.. i'm hoping he's here too)

I look forward to being a part of this awesome community.
Love you all :)

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Welcome. U will be able to post links when u post count increases. Your level description changes with more posts and at this moment you cant customise it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
If you're interested go to google type in kickstarter and then type in Champion of Dema in the kickstarter search box and you will see me and my work
I saw your kickstarter page. Looks interesting, I like your concept. Hope you can make it.
Also, welcome to BFB Forum :)

Hameed Catel

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I saw your kickstarter page. Looks interesting, I like your concept. Hope you can make it.
Also, welcome to BFB Forum :)
Thank you very much I hope it becomes successful :)... And thank you guys as well for the warm welcome. This place will probably end up being my home away from home

Aikura

Became a Faceless Man
I agree, I had a look at Champion of Dema and both the concept and the art style are quite appealing. :)

Tyrol Aspenleaf

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Well here goes....
My real name is Matt and I have been lurking on these forums for a few years now posting rarely. I am 37 years old (dob on my profile typo from 1976 to 1966), I graduated many years ago with my Doctor of Pharmacy degree and am a practicing Pharmacist at a large retail chain. I live in Indianapolis, IN with my wife of 4 years and our dog a Maltese named Pez. (No children)

I suppose my love of fantasy started with video games which eventually led me to books which led me to games and the vicious cycle continues to this day :). My first exposure to fantasy were all the RPGs from the original NES : dragon warrior, final fantasy, chrysalis, secret of mana etc. The first fantasy book I ever read was The Legend of Huma ( a dragonlance book) in the 5th grade. I fell in love and soon became obsessed with all things dragonlance. This eventually led to my next bout of gaming, MUDs. This will really show my age but back in the days of 12 baud modems connecting to bulletin boards to play MUDs let my imagination run wild. I continued to read dragonlance, forgotten realms, Star Wars through high school while I played on my biggest obsession of all ArcticMud (a dragonlance based MUD). My forum name was my main character on this game that I played for around 10ish years.

In college i pretty much just drank in my fraternity house, played rugby(union rules scrum half) and drank some more.

Post college is where fantasy took a turn for me when I discovered GRRM. It was like nothing that I had ever read. Likewise I moved on my old love ArcticMud to a modern version of a MUD, World of Warcraft. Eventually I began searching for other books that were well written "adult" fantasy and my internet searches led me to this site. Since then I have read Lynch, Abercrombie, Abraham, Erickson, Cook, and much more. Btw Tigiana rules!

I don't play MMOs any longer but I still find time to play some games on the xbox 360 Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, Dark Souls and more. I am an enormous TV watcher currently things like Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, anything on HBO. I am a Butler Bulldog basketball fan(my alma mater) and an Indianapolis Colts season ticket holder(ColtsStrong).

Thanks to everyone on this site who have introduced me to a wonderful new world, so far all the suggestions that I have seen have not led me astray.

Antoxx

Well here goes....
My real name is Matt and I have been lurking on these forums for a few years now posting rarely. I am 37 years old (dob on my profile typo from 1976 to 1966), I graduated many years ago with my Doctor of Pharmacy degree and am a practicing Pharmacist at a large retail chain. I live in Indianapolis, IN with my wife of 4 years and our dog a Maltese named Pez. (No children)

I suppose my love of fantasy started with video games which eventually led me to books which led me to games and the vicious cycle continues to this day :). My first exposure to fantasy were all the RPGs from the original NES : dragon warrior, final fantasy, chrysalis, secret of mana etc. The first fantasy book I ever read was The Legend of Huma ( a dragonlance book) in the 5th grade. I fell in love and soon became obsessed with all things dragonlance. This eventually led to my next bout of gaming, MUDs. This will really show my age but back in the days of 12 baud modems connecting to bulletin boards to play MUDs let my imagination run wild. I continued to read dragonlance, forgotten realms, Star Wars through high school while I played on my biggest obsession of all ArcticMud (a dragonlance based MUD). My forum name was my main character on this game that I played for around 10ish years.

In college i pretty much just drank in my fraternity house, played rugby(union rules scrum half) and drank some more.

Post college is where fantasy took a turn for me when I discovered GRRM. It was like nothing that I had ever read. Likewise I moved on my old love ArcticMud to a modern version of a MUD, World of Warcraft. Eventually I began searching for other books that were well written "adult" fantasy and my internet searches led me to this site. Since then I have read Lynch, Abercrombie, Abraham, Erickson, Cook, and much more. Btw Tigiana rules!

I don't play MMOs any longer but I still find time to play some games on the xbox 360 Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, Dark Souls and more. I am an enormous TV watcher currently things like Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, anything on HBO. I am a Butler Bulldog basketball fan(my alma mater) and an Indianapolis Colts season ticket holder(ColtsStrong).

Thanks to everyone on this site who have introduced me to a wonderful new world, so far all the suggestions that I have seen have not led me astray.
Welcome Tyrol, looks like you have great taste in authors.

Rasheedah Prioleau

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
I am so very happy that I found this forum!

I actually come from an Art and Marketing background. I wrote as a hobby pretty much all of my life until I ended up on complete bed rest four months into my pregnancy. I took on writing for my livelihood from that point forward. I have a real name and a pen name. I’ll stick to my pen name, Rasheedah Prioleau. Not that my real name is top secret… it’s just a lot less interesting.

Anyway, I am so glad to be out of the corporate world (for the most part), but I love to drag around my lofty “Minor in Art & Art History” wherever I go and dragging that part of my background into my writing has made for an interesting perspective. I love words the way I love paintings or ceramics or photography (all hobbies from time-to-time). I’ve heard the English language spoken in so many different accents and I find them all so amazing. Just last week in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina I had a Swedish concierge… of all places, right? But, I thought her accent was so sweet that I made up a very precious and desperate backstory for her, and I’m quite sure I’ll use that backstory in a book someday.

So, there you have it. Writing is my life! I write Sci-Fi and Urban Fantasy. I read just about anything.