Introductions!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
I just saw this thread.

Ok, I'm a guy. I'm old but not THAT OLD. ( @ moon spawn ... Not from a religious Christian family and likely way to ancient to be in your age group :) ).

Lemme see.. I was born and raised in Michigan. While there I spent about 20 years working with juveniles who were incarcerated in residential treatment for reasons ranging from petty theft to murder... My last job there was working at a state institution that closed down ( as almost all of Michigan did) :rolleyes: So I decided to go to law school. Passed the LSAT and was accepted to and graduated from Michigan State with my J.D. Worked with the prosecutor for my internship. Then before I took the bar my wife wanted to leave the cold so we packed our bags and loaded up my two little ones and moved to Ida-Hell. (Hence Darth Tater.,, get it)? :D

So we are in Ida-Hell ( she essentially picked if out of the blue and we knew nobody here when we arrived) now and I hate it. I worked for the parole Commission for three years and listened to the inmates lie ( you could always tell they lied. If their mouths were open they were lying... Old joke) :) So I would go into the prisons when the wife beaters, rapists, and murderers were eligible for parole and I would make sure most of the scummy bastards ( the majority of inmates) didn't get out after I presented my reports to the Commissioners.

So then We got some bad news and I'm on medical retirement. But everything happens for a reason ( I like to think).

That is why I don't like gritty fantasy. I like to keep things light because I was exposed to too much sadness in the real world. I like to keep my fantasy stuff in the make believe world. ;)

I sometimes offend people inadvertently because I speak my mind and run my mouth and I'm not thinking about feelings when I say stuff. So you know I'm real. I'm pretty passionate and sincere about stuff although I'm wrong a lot more than I like to be.

I have a self deprecating sense of humor and I get along best with people who can laugh at themselves.

Now that I'm retired I have lots of time to read and B.S.on my sports forum and hopefully I can stick around here for a while.

I'm truly amazed at how smart and knowledgable most of you obviously are so I'm doing my best to not sound glaringly ignorant in my posts. I have neither the skill, imagination, or desire to write a book. Well, maybe the imagination and I also have the time but definitely not the skill and not one ounce of desire. But I think it's super cool :cool: And equally interesting that so many of you do so I may have lots of questions to bug you with.

So that is me. Pretty boring. I wish I could have something cool to share but it is what it is.

I am so blessed to have A wife and kids that are so wonderful and whom I love dearly and in the long run nothing else really matters. :)

Antoxx

I just saw this thread.

Ok, I'm a guy. I'm old but not THAT OLD. ( @ moon spawn ... Not from a religious Christian family and likely way to ancient to be in your age group :) ).

Lemme see.. I was born and raised in Michigan. While there I spent about 20 years working with juveniles who were incarcerated in residential treatment for reasons ranging from petty theft to murder... My last job there was working at a state institution that closed down ( as almost all of Michigan did) :rolleyes: So I decided to go to law school. Passed the LSAT and was accepted to and graduated from Michigan State with my J.D. Worked with the prosecutor for my internship. Then before I took the bar my wife wanted to leave the cold so we packed our bags and loaded up my two little ones and moved to Ida-Hell. (Hence Darth Tater.,, get it)? :D

So we are in Ida-Hell ( she essentially picked if out of the blue and we knew nobody here when we arrived) now and I hate it. I worked for the parole Commission for three years and listened to the inmates lie ( you could always tell they lied. If their mouths were open they were lying... Old joke) :) So I would go into the prisons when the wife beaters, rapists, and murderers were eligible for parole and I would make sure most of the scummy bastards ( the majority of inmates) didn't get out after I presented my reports to the Commissioners.

So then We got some bad news and I'm on medical retirement. But everything happens for a reason ( I like to think).

That is why I don't like gritty fantasy. I like to keep things light because I was exposed to too much sadness in the real world. I like to keep my fantasy stuff in the make believe world. ;)

I sometimes offend people inadvertently because I speak my mind and run my mouth and I'm not thinking about feelings when I say stuff. So you know I'm real. I'm pretty passionate and sincere about stuff although I'm wrong a lot more than I like to be.

I have a self deprecating sense of humor and I get along best with people who can laugh at themselves.

Now that I'm retired I have lots of time to read and B.S.on my sports forum and hopefully I can stick around here for a while.

I'm truly amazed at how smart and knowledgable most of you obviously are so I'm doing my best to not sound glaringly ignorant in my posts. I have neither the skill, imagination, or desire to write a book. Well, maybe the imagination and I also have the time but definitely not the skill and not one ounce of desire. But I think it's super cool :cool: And equally interesting that so many of you do so I may have lots of questions to bug you with.

So that is me. Pretty boring. I wish I could have something cool to share but it is what it is.

I am so blessed to have A wife and kids that are so wonderful and whom I love dearly and in the long run nothing else really matters. :)
Awesome intro and really good to have you on Board. Don't worry, you can hang out in the old farts club with me. ;-)

I

Ian Blackport

Hello everyone. I've only recently found this website and am attempting to learn the ropes. This seems as good a place as any to introduce myself. I consume any and all fantasy that I can find. My favourite authors are George Martin, Steven Erikson, Scott Lynch and Patrick Rothfuss. Not surprisingly, I also love fantasy video games like Dragon Age, The Legend of Zelda and The Witcher. It was Ocarina of Time that first cemented my love for all things fantasy and I owe that game a great debt. Exploring Hyrule on my Nintendo 64 as a young teenager opened the door to this wonderful genre.

Like many others here, I'm also an aspiring author and I've only recently self-published my debut fantasy novel. I'd like nothing more than to shamelessly promote it, but I figured it would be rude to do so without first introducing myself. I typically like to know a few things about a person before they try to sell something to me.

I've also run into problems adding a profile picture. Whenever I attempt to add one I get an angry message reading, "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." Do I need to earn a certain number of credits before I'm able to change it? Or am I just hopeless with technology? Has anyone else encountered this problem? By all means, feel free to mock my computer deficiencies. I frequently do.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Exploring Hyrule on my Nintendo 64 as a young teenager opened the door to this wonderful genre.
Wow, I was in college when that came out. I first explored Hyrule in 8 bit glory on a shiny gold cartridge (which I still have).

Welcome to the boards. Make a few more posts and your avatar-uploading (and other) privileges should activate.

I

Ian Blackport

Welcome to the boards. Make a few more posts and your avatar-uploading (and other) privileges should activate.
Oh thank goodness. I had my fingers crossed that it wasn't my lack of skills with a computer hindering me. Thanks for the confirmation!

And I think we both know the only real Zelda cartidges are the gold ones.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I have my NES displayed on a book shelf with my Legend of Zelda cartridge in it in my living room. I still have the booklet for it, too, but not the box.

Darth Tater

Hello everyone. I've only recently found this website and am attempting to learn the ropes. This seems as good a place as any to introduce myself. I consume any and all fantasy that I can find. My favourite authors are George Martin, Steven Erikson, Scott Lynch and Patrick Rothfuss. Not surprisingly, I also love fantasy video games like Dragon Age, The Legend of Zelda and The Witcher. It was Ocarina of Time that first cemented my love for all things fantasy and I owe that game a great debt. Exploring Hyrule on my Nintendo 64 as a young teenager opened the door to this wonderful genre.

Like many others here, I'm also an aspiring author and I've only recently self-published my debut fantasy novel. I'd like nothing more than to shamelessly promote it, but I figured it would be rude to do so without first introducing myself. I typically like to know a few things about a person before they try to sell something to me.

I've also run into problems adding a profile picture. Whenever I attempt to add one I get an angry message reading, "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." Do I need to earn a certain number of credits before I'm able to change it? Or am I just hopeless with technology? Has anyone else encountered this problem? By all means, feel free to mock my computer deficiencies. I frequently do.

I'm pretty new too but welcome to the forum.

Yes you need a certain amount of posts before you can do anything with that profile. It isn't a lot. Somewhere between 10 and 25. Memory sucks and I wasn't really paying attention because I didn't care that much. One day I tried it and it didn't work. And at some point later I tried it again and it did work.

Yes people are very friendly from what I've experienced. They are very intelligent and knowledgeable about fantasy books and I believe people will help you after they get to know you and you * contribute* to the forum and they know it isn't a love them and leave them relationship. But it goes both ways. They might expect your help too. I read that somewhere but I forgot where. It wasn't important to me because I like to read but I don't write. But The etiquette is written somewhere in one one of these threads. I'm sure you'll be able to find what I'm talking about.

Like I said I'm new too. So somebody else could tell you better. But that is the gist of it asI understand it.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Welcome! We encourage you to participate in the forums and the fantasy author forum is where you can discuss all things your work and no one will be annoyed, that is the place we welcome it!

Glad to have you on board!

I

Ian Blackport

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. It's great to be here. And don't worry, I have no intention of pulling a "love them and leave them" as you say, Mr. Tater. I'm not sure quite how much I'll be able to commit, but I'm happy to put in the effort. I'd rather stick around, make some friends and learn about some fantasy books that are worth reading. And so far it seems like I'll do just that. I'll also be sure to check out the fantasy author forum. I made a note of it while I was poking around earlier today.

sopranosfan

First post and glad I found this place. I got hooked on fantasy books because of the Game of Thrones show which made me want to read ASOIAF and after I read those I started Wheel of Time which I am about to begin book 9 and have recently read Sanderson's first two Stormlight books. I am relatively new to the genre, which I guess is good, because I have so much to read to catch up. I guess I will go to Patrick Rothfuss next. Anyway, I will be around reading your posts and contributing occasionally but as I said my knowledge is rather limited at the moment.

I

Ian Blackport

Welcome to the boards, sopranosfan! I'm pretty new here myself, but it's a great place to discuss all things fantasy with knowledgeable and friendly folks.

You've made some great choices so far. Martin, Jordan and Sanderson all make an excellent introduction to the genre. I would've recommended Rothfuss next if you hadn't already decided on him. After that I suggest Scott Lynch's "Gentlemen Bastard Sequence". If you haven't heard of him, Lynch writes fantasy that focuses on con artists. It's Ocean's Eleven meets Game of Thrones in a nutshell. You also can't go wrong with Steven Erikson and Joe Abercrombie. Erikson in particular is an incredible writer. Though put aside lots of time for him. "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" is a 10 book series and almost all are longer than 1000 pages.

Antoxx

First post and glad I found this place. I got hooked on fantasy books because of the Game of Thrones show which made me want to read ASOIAF and after I read those I started Wheel of Time which I am about to begin book 9 and have recently read Sanderson's first two Stormlight books. I am relatively new to the genre, which I guess is good, because I have so much to read to catch up. I guess I will go to Patrick Rothfuss next. Anyway, I will be around reading your posts and contributing occasionally but as I said my knowledge is rather limited at the moment.
Welcome sopranosfan, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay ansd we'll enjoy you staying. So are you really a Soprano fan? And second question, is Breaking Bad better than The Sopranos?

sopranosfan

Welcome sopranosfan, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay ansd we'll enjoy you staying. So are you really a Soprano fan? And second question, is Breaking Bad better than The Sopranos?
Yep, I am a huge Sopranos Fan. I own all the seasons and have watched them multiple times and still personally think it's the best show ever made. I actually started using the name sopranosfan when the show was on and just continue to use it. I have not watched Breaking Bad because I'm a teacher(not science though) and am afraid it will give me ideas. Seriously though I just didn't watch it when it came on and it struck me as a show that would be hard to get into starting at season 3 and I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

sopranosfan

Welcome to the boards, sopranosfan! I'm pretty new here myself, but it's a great place to discuss all things fantasy with knowledgeable and friendly folks.

You've made some great choices so far. Martin, Jordan and Sanderson all make an excellent introduction to the genre. I would've recommended Rothfuss next if you hadn't already decided on him. After that I suggest Scott Lynch's "Gentlemen Bastard Sequence". If you haven't heard of him, Lynch writes fantasy that focuses on con artists. It's Ocean's Eleven meets Game of Thrones in a nutshell. You also can't go wrong with Steven Erikson and Joe Abercrombie. Erikson in particular is an incredible writer. Though put aside lots of time for him. "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" is a 10 book series and almost all are longer than 1000 pages.
Malazan books are definitely in my to read list along with Mistborn. Malazan seems to be a kind of love it or hate it series and that is why it's a couple series away for me but enough people truly love it that I will get around to it. I haven't heard a lot about Scott Lynch though and will check him out. It will probably take a year or so with me finishing Wheel of Time and starting Mistborn, Kingkiller and Malazan and then throw in any new books that catch my interest and it may be a while but I eventually plan on trying to at least try most of people's favorite series.

I

Ian Blackport

It will probably take a year or so with me finishing Wheel of Time and starting Mistborn, Kingkiller and Malazan and then throw in any new books that catch my interest and it may be a while but I eventually plan on trying to at least try most of people's favorite series.
I almost envy you in a sense, finding all these incredible books for the first time. Though I'll admit it can be a little daunting all at once. Your best bet is to just read the ones that interest you most and go from there.

And you're right, Malazan is a love it or hate it series. If I can give you one piece of advice (when you eventually start reading them), read at least the first two books. The first novel can be difficult to get into, and plenty of people were only hooked after number two.