Introductions!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first novel can be difficult to get into, and plenty of people were only hooked after number two.
Ha! For me, I was utterly blown away by the first book, and then felt a little bit let down by the second. It's a series every fantasy fan should at least attempt to read though, it is an outstanding series of books; it is the best example of 'epic' fantasy I've come across!

I

Ian Blackport

For me, I was utterly blown away by the first book
I actually loved Gardens of the Moon, too. I was hooked from the moment I opened it. I just happen to know a number of people who needed convincing to give the series another try. It's always good to warn new readers in advance that book one might be divisive. But I agree completely it's the best epic fantasy out there.

callahan09

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Hello, everyone! I'm new around, and I am not the most experienced or knowledgeable fantasy reader out there, but I'm hungry for more! The major fantasy stories I have read include the A Song of Ice & Fire series, the Locke Lamora books, and the Name of the Wind & Wise Man's Fear. I've enjoyed each of them thoroughly! I'm a fan of games, mostly... board games, RPGs, video games, card games, really the whole gamut, and mostly I am interested in fantasy (and occasionally sci-fi) themed games, books, movies, etc.

I'll probably be seen around this forum asking for advice on what to read next. Thanks in advance for that, and I hope I'm not too much of a bother haha.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Hello, everyone! I'm new around, and I am not the most experienced or knowledgeable fantasy reader out there, but I'm hungry for more! The major fantasy stories I have read include the A Song of Ice & Fire series, the Locke Lamora books, and the Name of the Wind & Wise Man's Fear. I've enjoyed each of them thoroughly! I'm a fan of games, mostly... board games, RPGs, video games, card games, really the whole gamut, and mostly I am interested in fantasy (and occasionally sci-fi) themed games, books, movies, etc.

I'll probably be seen around this forum asking for advice on what to read next. Thanks in advance for that, and I hope I'm not too much of a bother haha.
No problem. Glad you found this thread since I suggested you post here and then didn't provide a link!

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again

Welcome Callahan and great to have you on the Boards.

sopranosfan

Welcome, although I'm about as new as you are. I've read ASoIaF and have the Kingkiller in my Queue for after I finish Wheel of Time. I'm a big fan of RPG video games and just recently got addicted to a video game trading card game myself.

I

Ian Blackport

Thanks in advance for that, and I hope I'm not too much of a bother haha.
How could anyone who loves fantasy be a bother? Nothing makes me happier than when someone discovers how great the genre is and asks for recommendations. You've already hit some of the best ones. Plan to add Steven Erikson's Malazan series to your queue, provided that you have several months free time.

What are some of your favourite fantasy video games, Callahan? I grew up with Legend of Zelda and more recently I've come to love Dragon Age and The Witcher.

lynne henry

Possibly a Darkfriend
hi all! I want to introduce myself. I am lynnez. I am a retired RN who recently moved to the coast and now has to find things to occupy my time while it rains and rains and rains! I have been a fan of fantasy and sci-fi since the 70's. I love to read and manage to devour at least a book a week and sometimes as much as a book a day. I am just learning about this forum venue and I am excited to be here! I recently came across a book on kindle that really made an impression. I even found the authors website! an amazing feat for a grandma like me! I want to share this with all of you in the hopes that you all will enjoy this as much as me!
The Rhapsody Quartet by A.M. Hodgson is starting off with 2 recent releases on amazon. The First book in the series is Prelude which is about a young girl named Sarah who is finding out that as she turns 16 she is not human. She is a full blooded siren and it appears she is the last of her species. This book chronicles her change and her search to find out who she is and why the rest of the sirens no longer exist. I read it in one sitting and I must say the author captivates you from the first few pages and keeps you not only interested but definitely wanting more.
Her second book, Sonata continues Sarah's story while she goes on an epic search to find her roots. The cast of characters range from an over zealous Elven body guard, to a raging ferocious Banshee who befriends her and trains her in the art of self defense. the book again captivates and holds your attention throughout, while the ending keeps you guessing and wanting much more. I would recommend these books to anyone who wants to hear a fresh new story that is not a carbon copy of many titles out there. thanks for letting me share If this is appropriate I would like to share any new "good" books that I come across. Thanks for your time! lynnez

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Why do I get the feeling that the 1-star reviewer is the only honest one?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3R4AZ8H56P9AE/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00GO4VUPK

I would like to share any new "good" books that I come across.
Not that we aren't interested in hearing about good new authors, but we were just discussing the inappropriate use of quotation marks the other day. I think it's particularly appropriate in this situation.

I hope I don't drive you away if you came here in earnest. It would be interesting to have a discussion with someone who's been reading speculative fiction since before many of us were born. But, we have seen so many one-and-done posters who "just happened to find" some random, obscure Kindle books that they had to rush to a forum and tell complete strangers about it, only to later find out these people were the authors of said books (or their family members), that I no longer trust a newbie who comes to us under these pretenses.

If you've written a book and you want exposure for it, that's fine. We have a few self-published authors who show up here on a fairly regular basis. But the ones who tend to stick around and be well-received are the ones who are up front about their connections to the books they're promoting.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
hi all! I want to introduce myself. I am lynnez. I am a retired RN who recently moved to the coast and now has to find things to occupy my time while it rains and rains and rains! I have been a fan of fantasy and sci-fi since the 70's. I love to read and manage to devour at least a book a week and sometimes as much as a book a day. I am just learning about this forum venue and I am excited to be here! I recently came across a book on kindle that really made an impression. I even found the authors website! an amazing feat for a grandma like me! I want to share this with all of you in the hopes that you all will enjoy this as much as me!
The Rhapsody Quartet by A.M. Hodgson is starting off with 2 recent releases on amazon. The First book in the series is Prelude which is about a young girl named Sarah who is finding out that as she turns 16 she is not human. She is a full blooded siren and it appears she is the last of her species. This book chronicles her change and her search to find out who she is and why the rest of the sirens no longer exist. I read it in one sitting and I must say the author captivates you from the first few pages and keeps you not only interested but definitely wanting more.
Her second book, Sonata continues Sarah's story while she goes on an epic search to find her roots. The cast of characters range from an over zealous Elven body guard, to a raging ferocious Banshee who befriends her and trains her in the art of self defense. the book again captivates and holds your attention throughout, while the ending keeps you guessing and wanting much more. I would recommend these books to anyone who wants to hear a fresh new story that is not a carbon copy of many titles out there. thanks for letting me share If this is appropriate I would like to share any new "good" books that I come across. Thanks for your time! lynnez
Apologies if I'm wrong "lynnez" (see what I did there) but this comes across as self promotion (or at least promoting a friend or family members books), which will win you no friends here I can safely say. Fitting the book is about a siren, because there is something decidedly "fishy" (I'm on a roll) about your post!

callahan09

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
How could anyone who loves fantasy be a bother? Nothing makes me happier than when someone discovers how great the genre is and asks for recommendations. You've already hit some of the best ones. Plan to add Steven Erikson's Malazan series to your queue, provided that you have several months free time.

What are some of your favourite fantasy video games, Callahan? I grew up with Legend of Zelda and more recently I've come to love Dragon Age and The Witcher.
Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation, Ian! I have the first book of Malazan and it is definitely on my to-read list after all the people have recommend it! I am holding off for now because it is part of such a lengthy series and I have heard so much about how challenging of a read it is. But I will definitely get to it in due time after reading some of the other shorter and/or more simple fantasy staples first.

As far as fantasy games go, I am a huge fan of the Zelda series and I played through Dragon Age with one of each character class I liked it so much. I also really got hooked on Oblivion. I am also as big fan of a lot of classic PC games such as the Ultima (and Ultima Underworld) games, King's Quest, Lands of Lore (but the sequels were bad unfortunately haha), and the older D&D games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment. Lately I can't get enough of the Dark Souls games (and Demon's Souls), and I like all the Metroid-style Castlevania games which the Dark Souls games kind of remind me of in a way.

Titus

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
New user here (although a long time lurker). I am relatively new to the fantasy and sci-fi reading scene, having picked up my first book in 15 years last summer. I travel across the country weekly, so I have plenty of airplane and hotel time to dedicate to books (been reading ~1 week). I think I have completed about 40 books so far this year, which is likely 20 more than I have read in the rest of my life combined.

I recently have been trying to read the older books to see where it all started (on book 5/7 of Chronicles of Narnia, finishing up Elfstones of Shannara - I know people hate this one). I actually read about 5-7 books at a time in various series and genres. I am normally working on a few fantasy, a few sci-fi, and a few thriller/mystery at once, with another 1-2 audiobooks thrown in for my long drives.

I thank everyone for the information I have gathered on the forums so far. Most of the books I have bought have been because of recommendations here.

guilty_as_charged

A farm boy with a sword
Hi, My name's Zach. I'm fifteen, and totally in love with reading. In fact, I've been reading since age three. For me, books are an escape from my troubled childhood. They allow me to leave the world behind and join a new one, even if it's only for a little while. I'm a huge fan of science fiction and fantasy, but I'll read anything I can get my hands on. Books are scarce in my house so I spend most of my free time at the library, it's my home away from home. It's a pleasure to meet you all, and hope I can get to know you better!

guilty_as_charged

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, My name's Zach. I'm fifteen, and totally in love with reading. In fact, I've been reading since age three. For me, books are an escape from my troubled childhood. They allow me to leave the world behind and join a new one, even if it's only for a little while. I'm a huge fan of science fiction and fantasy, but I'll read anything I can get my hands on. Books are scarce in my house so I spend most of my free time at the library, it's my home away from home. It's a pleasure to meet you all, and hope I can get to know you better!

guilty_as_charged
Hi :) Pleased you've come on board! Hope you stick around, you come across extremely well for someone so young! Granted, this is probs just me showing my age!

sopranosfan

guilty_as_charged
Welcome. I'm far from an old member of the forum, as you can tell from my paltry credits but I'm usually around. I have been welcomed since joining and most people are friendly and helpful (but watch out for Tom, he's from England and he's been a little cranky since the World Cup;):pompus::greyalien:)

guilty_as_charged

A farm boy with a sword
Welcome. I'm far from an old member of the forum, as you can tell from my paltry credits but I'm usually around. I have been welcomed since joining and most people are friendly and helpful (but watch out for Tom, he's from England and he's been a little cranky since the World Cup;):pompus::greyalien:)
Thank you both for welcoming me, I feel special :)

guilty_as_charged