Introductions!

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
About a dozen years ago, my husband (then fiance) hooked me with LOTR, and I've been playing catch up on the genre ever since. And even though I've read Tolkien, I still feel perpetually behind and there are a million classics I haven't read.
I only got into reading about 14 years ago. I still haven't read some of the "classics" but I don't think you need to. There aren't many that are note worthy. I would say the only author pre 90s that you NEED to read (since you've read LOTR) is David Gemmell, not all but at least Legend.

Just read stuff from 2006 onwards. Still heaps of books and they are much higher quality. If you do manage to get through most of the ones you want, then reto read in my opinion.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Welcome @J P Ashman & @HeroineOfCanton. I'm new too and they haven't driven me away...yet. Good to have you aboard. But damn it if one of us bloodydamn(is that half British? Thanks Red Rising) yanks won't have to warn the others, The British are coming! The British are coming!
There are a few Kiwis and Aussies here too ;)

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
HeroineOfCanton said: ↑
Crazy Brits. What are you going to do? ;)
I shall refrain from responding to this, rather i shall bite my stiff upper lip and maintain a dignified pose. Ta ta.
Well played, sir.

HeroineOfCanton said: ↑
About a dozen years ago, my husband (then fiance) hooked me with LOTR, and I've been playing catch up on the genre ever since. And even though I've read Tolkien, I still feel perpetually behind and there are a million classics I haven't read.
I only got into reading about 14 years ago. I still haven't read some of the "classics" but I don't think you need to. There aren't many that are note worthy. I would say the only author pre 90s that you NEED to read (since you've read LOTR) is David Gemmell, not all but at least Legend.
Just read stuff from 2006 onwards. Still heaps of books and they are much higher quality. If you do manage to get through most of the ones you want, then reto read in my opinion.
Nice to hear I'm not the only one! And Legend is very much on my radar. Glad to have that confirmed, though.

J P Ashman

Stood on the wall with Druss
All the Joe A love is making my finger hover over the 'buy' button for one of his books now, with my £5 Amazon gift voucher...shall...I...press......

J P Ashman

I'm going to, damn it, I'M GOING TO! WooT! :-D

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to, damn it, I'M GOING TO! WooT! :-D
Start with First Law .. or the first of his latest trilogy. Basically you should read the standalones (Best Served Cold then The Heroes then Red Country) after the First Law Trilogy. His latest trilogy is completely separate.

J P Ashman

Cheers Tom, appreciate that. Thought I'd read a trilogy of his years ago, turns out I was wrong (my brother knows me too well, he told me I hadn't and I didn't believe him haha).
Thanks again.

J P Ashman

Just bought first of his new trilogy (it came within my gift card budget). Look forward to it.

Hey guys My name is Aleks and i like to read, play sports, and try and live a positive lifestyle (like if you agree). If you are interested in knowing a little bit about my personal life well here it goes... I recently had a tragic experience, my mom passed away from breast cancer a little more than a month ago. For about 2 weeks, i wasn't depressed, but lost, as if i woke up and didn't know where i was, where i was going, what i needed to do anymore. Although it was very hard...to get over her death, and many tears were shed, i'm back on track :) reading and living life again! And i wanted to say i totally understand you if you had a similar experience... Take care friends:)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Hey guys My name is Aleks and i like to read, play sports, and try and live a positive lifestyle (like if you agree). If you are interested in knowing a little bit about my personal life well here it goes... I recently had a tragic experience, my mom passed away from breast cancer a little more than a month ago. For about 2 weeks, i wasn't depressed, but lost, as if i woke up and didn't know where i was, where i was going, what i needed to do anymore. Although it was very hard...to get over her death, and many tears were shed, i'm back on track :) reading and living life again! And i wanted to say i totally understand you if you had a similar experience... Take care friends:)
My condolences. I hope you will feel better soon.

I'm also new to this forum. My name is Berry, I'm a 29 year old System Administrator from the Netherlands. I'm married to my lovely wife Vivienne and I've got a 4 month old daughter called Caitlin. My interests are reading (duh), history, fitness, football, indoor football, karate and drinking beer with my friends.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
My condolences. I hope you will feel better soon.

I'm also new to this forum. My name is Berry, I'm a 29 year old System Administrator from the Netherlands. I'm married to my lovely wife Vivienne and I've got a 4 month old daughter called Caitlin. My interests are reading (duh), history, fitness, football, indoor football, karate and drinking beer with my friends.
I too have a 4 month old daughter (called Imogen) and I too like football and drinking beer with friends!!!!

High five!

:)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I gave you a like instead. :D

How does fatherhood become you? I was quite apprehensive at first, before the baby was born ("my life is over now. Am I ready to be a dad? I'm too young!"), but ever since she was born I absolutely love it.It's immensely rewarding and I didn't know that it was possible to love someone so much.