Introductions!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am chongjasmine from Singapore.
I am a fantasy book fan. I love authors like robert jordan and robin hobb.
I also enjoy mystery and adventure and religious books.
Sometimes, I also read classics.
Nice to meet you all.
Nice to meet you. Welcome to the forum! :)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I am chongjasmine from Singapore.
I am a fantasy book fan. I love authors like robert jordan and robin hobb.
I also enjoy mystery and adventure and religious books.
Sometimes, I also read classics.
Nice to meet you all.
Welcome to the message board!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi! I'm from Cambridgeshire in England, I'm 24 and have been a fantasy fan all my life, but I've only recently started to take a serious interest in expanding my horizons for the genre. Used to be I'd just read what I stumbled across in charity shops, rarely followed any on-going series or authors and never talked to anyone or engaged with any community. I re-read the same two dozen or so things very often between new books.

That changed a few years back when I got my kindle, and on the new year after that I started keeping a list of what I read each year, so that I can look back and try to encourage myself to keep seeing new things instead of re-reading. It's worked pretty well, I'm starting to fit in more experimental stuff (e.g. The Bees), classics of the genre (e.g. recently Good Omens) and older (e.g. Thomas Covenant) or obscure (e.g. recently Dave Duncan's Pandemia novels) stuff that was awesome but that no one talks about. I'm making an effort to read the older fantasy/sci-fi that inspired modern authors today, or at least the stuff that older fantasy fans remember fondly (e.g. the first eight or so Midkemia novels) - almost a historical project really, because I can't say I've fully enjoyed ALL of the older work I've read: the world has moved on and it's no longer as unique or groundbreaking as it was (doing something first doesn't mean doing it best, I've always firmly believed) and even tastes in prose/writing style have evolved.

I just finished the Pandemia novels the other night and I suffered a real attack of depression and loneliness after it. That world is gone, 21 years dead, deader and goner even than longer-dead worlds like Middle-Earth because no one TALKS about things that aren't either recent, an ongoing series or accepted giant of the genre even today or, if the author is lucky, something they wrote before they got their major hit. So I signed up here hoping to meet people who make an effort to fit in some older or more obscure work occasionally. As well as to gush about current series too, of course (e.g. Rothfuss, Sanderson, Butcher). Hi!

EDIT: oh, and my favorite book of all time is Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, but unfortunately I despise the current TV adaptation.
Hi @lyraseven and welcome to the forum, it's great to have you on board! There's absolutely no doubt in my mind you'll enjoy it here, and hopefully we can help to broaden your horizons, and vice versa, especially regarding some of the older fantasy books you've read.

Look forward to getting to know you :)

Ps. Lived in Cambridgeshire myself for a few years - Burwell, nr. Newmarket. I do miss Cambridge sometimes!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
@TomTB Wow, that's a cool coincidence. I'm new to Cambs myself, and I'm... well, it's nice here for certain values of nice, but rather quiet and rural. Even Cambridge itself is... it's almost perfect in a city in terms of its attitude and culture, it's urbane and student-y and cultured, probably as close to my old local area as you could get outside of the nicer parts of London, but I haven't been able to find much to DO.

On the other hand, I LOVE the open-air home made and artisanal food and craft markets that seem ten a penny round here - that was a once a year at Christmas thing previously, so I look forward to those when I'm not being good with money.

Any suggestions for nice things to try this weekend you can reach by train or bus? We're in Ely ourselves, and we visited a mall in Newmarket once with OH's parents. Nice restaurant, what we saw of the town seemed more of the same as Ely to be honest. Pleasant but sedate - bucolic heaven or hell, depending on what mood I'm in.
I HATED Newmarket with a passion .. one of the most boring mundane characterless self obsessed uppity towns I've ever come across! It has a quality butchers though, which is nice.

Guess you're a bit out in the sticks over in Ely - I only ever went that way a couple of times. Cambridge always has something on though; lots of gigs, nice restaurants, punting, river walks, university walks, and most other city type things. Not sure where to go for weekends. North Norfolk coast in nice for a stopover, and not too far away; loads of quaint villages and nice beaches - some nice country parks and stately home estates too. We head over that way every now and then (we're near Newark, Notts). If you haven't been to Bury St Edmunds; that's quite a nice town too - a million times nicer than Newmarket! :)

afa

Journeyed there and back again
Hi! I'm from Cambridgeshire in England, I'm 24 and have been a fantasy fan all my life, but I've only recently started to take a serious interest in expanding my horizons for the genre. Used to be I'd just read what I stumbled across in charity shops, rarely followed any on-going series or authors and never talked to anyone or engaged with any community. I re-read the same two dozen or so things very often between new books.

That changed a few years back when I got my kindle, and on the new year after that I started keeping a list of what I read each year, so that I can look back and try to encourage myself to keep seeing new things instead of re-reading. It's worked pretty well, I'm starting to fit in more experimental stuff (e.g. The Bees), classics of the genre (e.g. recently Good Omens) and older (e.g. Thomas Covenant) or obscure (e.g. recently Dave Duncan's Pandemia novels) stuff that was awesome but that no one talks about. I'm making an effort to read the older fantasy/sci-fi that inspired modern authors today, or at least the stuff that older fantasy fans remember fondly (e.g. the first eight or so Midkemia novels) - almost a historical project really, because I can't say I've fully enjoyed ALL of the older work I've read: the world has moved on and it's no longer as unique or groundbreaking as it was (doing something first doesn't mean doing it best, I've always firmly believed) and even tastes in prose/writing style have evolved.

I just finished the Pandemia novels the other night and I suffered a real attack of depression and loneliness after it. That world is gone, 21 years dead, deader and goner even than longer-dead worlds like Middle-Earth because no one TALKS about things that aren't either recent, an ongoing series or accepted giant of the genre even today or, if the author is lucky, something they wrote before they got their major hit. So I signed up here hoping to meet people who make an effort to fit in some older or more obscure work occasionally. As well as to gush about current series too, of course (e.g. Rothfuss, Sanderson, Butcher). Hi!

EDIT: oh, and my favorite book of all time is Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, but unfortunately I despise the current TV adaptation.
Hi, @lyraseven and welcome to the BFB forums!

Hello everyone!
I'm a selective fantasy/sci-fi fan who likes music above everything and has a strong love/hate relationship to computers (IT-students will understand). I live in the cold cold north of Sweden where I spend my spare time reading, recording music and hanging out with friends. Oh yeah, I practice Tai Chi as well, (as a martial art, not just moving slowly in the park with grannies and grandpas). Questions? Well, you problably know better than I where to send them!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Hello everyone!
I'm a selective fantasy/sci-fi fan who likes music above everything and has a strong love/hate relationship to computers (IT-students will understand). I live in the cold cold north of Sweden where I spend my spare time reading, recording music and hanging out with friends. Oh yeah, I practice Tai Chi as well, (as a martial art, not just moving slowly in the park with grannies and grandpas). Questions? Well, you problably know better than I where to send them!
Greetings and welcome to the forum! Where in Sweden do you live? Also, I didn't know Tai Chi was also a martial art. Do you also have katas and such?

My name is Poorvi Singhal
Birthdate: 28 May 1994
Hobbies: Writing fanfictions for now. I write short stories and poems now and then. Aside from that I like to hear music almost all the time.
About me: I am a Philosophical person. Although I haven't studied Psychology yet my grip on it is good. I love History very much, especially Ancient. I like to read action novels. I hardly ever like Love Stories. The only one I like is Pride and Prejudice.

Thank you @TomTB! :)

Greetings and welcome to the forum! Where in Sweden do you live? Also, I didn't know Tai Chi was also a martial art. Do you also have katas and such?
Thank you! I don't really want to give away my real location since I'm from a rather small place, but I can tell you that I live north of Stockholm, about in the middle of Sweden. Tai Chi was actually a martial art to begin with, but it has evolved to become this old peoples' thing. Yes, we have katas but we call them forms, we also have a few weapons to practice with.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Thank you @TomTB! :)

Thank you! I don't really want to give away my real location since I'm from a rather small place, but I can tell you that I live north of Stockholm, about in the middle of Sweden. Tai Chi was actually a martial art to begin with, but it has evolved to become this old peoples' thing. Yes, we have katas but we call them forms, we also have a few weapons to practice with.
Wow, that sounds cool. I practice Shotokan Karate, hence my question. It's always fun to learn more about other martial arts. As to your locatioN: I understand. I was asking, because my best friends is currently in Stockholm for 4 years for his post-doctoral. He's constantly complaining about the sun not setting until very late at night, so I imagine it's even worse over at your place.

Wow, that sounds cool. I practice Shotokan Karate, hence my question. It's always fun to learn more about other martial arts. As to your locatioN: I understand. I was asking, because my best friends is currently in Stockholm for 4 years for his post-doctoral. He's constantly complaining about the sun not setting until very late at night, so I imagine it's even worse over at your place.
Alright, cool! I completely agree, it's always interesting hearing about other fighting philosophies. Oh I see :D yeah, i sets about 30 minutes after Stockholm over here. Perfect for late outdoor parties.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Alright, cool! I completely agree, it's always interesting hearing about other fighting philosophies. Oh I see :D yeah, i sets about 30 minutes after Stockholm over here. Perfect for late outdoor parties.
I can imagine. Must suck during winter though. My friend had quite a severe bout of the "winter blues". Might be different of course when you're a local and used to it.

I can imagine. Must suck during winter though. My friend had quite a severe bout of the "winter blues". Might be different of course when you're a local and used to it.
Ah I see, that sucks for him. Yes, most locals can deal with the long and dark days during winter. I personally love the winter and the dark doesn't bother me at all, but I guess it depends on who you are as a person as well.

Zave

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
hi all,
this is my first post here even though i registered a while ago and i've been lurking for several months.
i found this site while searching for good fantasy books to read and from time to time i've felt like sharing my opinions. so far i only did it once since i've realized that the comment system isn't very popular and so i decided to register on the forum.
i'm a 29yo italian guy, i work in the it field and i like the fantasy theme the most (this is true for videogames, movies and other media).
my reading time recently increased a lot since i have to commute for several hours every day and i went from 1-2 books per month to 2-3 per week (depending on length and how much sleep i have to catch on).
i don't expect to become a very active poster on this forum but i will probably pop in every once in a while so i thought of introducing myself.
see you aroud.;)