Introductions!

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
Welcome @Zave

What have you sampled from the fantasy genre? Any favorite authors or books? Are you into Scifi as well?

my reading time recently increased a lot since i have to commute for several hours every day
That's how I get most of my reading time as well! I'm always looking forward to commuting because of it.

Zave

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Well, at the moment i'm reading the last book of mark lawren's trilogy, "emperor of thorns" and i'm enjoying it despite the post apoc setting which i don't dig much.
i was also reading "the magicians" by lev grossman but i'm stuck at about 2/3 of it becouse even though there there are good elements in it i was finding it ultimately boring.
i recently read the first law trilogy by joe abercrombie and i've liked it.
ASOIAF is one of my all time favourites but i stopped reading it after a feast for crows and promised myself to never touch it again until it's complete.
I'm typing on my phone so i will keep it short as i don't enjoy it very much.
:)

Griffin

Well you've read some great books. I have read book #1 of The Magicians trilogy and like you I liked some elements, but was overall underwhelmed. Hope you'll stick around and post a bit.

Torack

A farm boy with a sword
Hey there, guys! This a bit late, I know. I've been here on the forums for two days now, and I've been enjoying it so far, and in that short time here by to-read books has increased like crazy! Anyway, I'm Bruce, 21, and I love novels. The first novel I picked up was from a scholastic catalog after my dad encouraged me pick a book rather than all other fun stuff on there, and Vampirates sounded like a pretty awesome book. I mean, vampires and pirates, right? I ended up loving the book and it was the novel that got me interested in reading.

I'm usually a fantasy reader, but I love crime and thriller novels as well! I haven't read that many books these past couple of years due to school and stuff, but I'm getting back into it with Malazan, which is just so much fun to read! I'm hoping I'll get to see y'all around the forums and stuff!

Hi all,
Just thought I'd drop by and introduce myself.
The fantasy genre is one of my favourites but I hadnt sat down and read a good book in a long while until Game of Thrones came out on HBO. I love the books and the series. I work and live in New Zealand, not far from where they filmed Helms Deep in the second LOTR trilogy. Planning a trip to Hobbiton in Christmas break, can't wait!!! Am currently writing my first book, is an adult fairytale based on Maori mythology. Hope to pick up some really good book titles on this site to read over winter. Here down under, Winter is Coming!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Hi all,
Just thought I'd drop by and introduce myself.
The fantasy genre is one of my favourites but I hadnt sat down and read a good book in a long while until Game of Thrones came out on HBO. I love the books and the series. I work and live in New Zealand, not far from where they filmed Helms Deep in the second LOTR trilogy. Planning a trip to Hobbiton in Christmas break, can't wait!!! Am currently writing my first book, is an adult fairytale based on Maori mythology. Hope to pick up some really good book titles on this site to read over winter. Here down under, Winter is Coming!
Welcome to the forum! Hobbiton is a great place to visit. Be sure not to miss out on the stew at the Green Dragon. And don't forget to pet the cat (always lounging in front of the fireplace).

Two years ago I visited almost all LOTR flim sites in NZ. The place where part of the battle of Helmsdeep was filmed was closed though. If I remember correctly it was filmed in a quarry. Is that correct>

Ryan W. Mueller

My name is Ryan Mueller, and I've been using this site for quite a while to find new books. I don't always agree with the lists, but they have helped me find a lot of books I might not have found otherwise. I'm also a fantasy author myself. I'm looking to self-publish some of my books (which have been through many rounds of revision) in the relatively near future. I haven't ruled out trade publishing at some point, but this feels like the right decision for now. I have plenty of ideas to write about.

Some of my favorite fantasy authors are Brandon Sanderson, Brent Weeks, and Jim Butcher. I have many others I love, but not quite as much as these three.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
My name is Ryan Mueller, and I've been using this site for quite a while to find new books. I don't always agree with the lists, but they have helped me find a lot of books I might not have found otherwise. I'm also a fantasy author myself. I'm looking to self-publish some of my books (which have been through many rounds of revision) in the relatively near future. I haven't ruled out trade publishing at some point, but this feels like the right decision for now. I have plenty of ideas to write about.

Some of my favorite fantasy authors are Brandon Sanderson, Brent Weeks, and Jim Butcher. I have many others I love, but not quite as much as these three.
Welcome to the forum :)

Richard

Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg
Hello all. I'm Richard, and I stumbled upon this site in 2011 when I was looking for more books to read after reading all of the books in the Song of Ice and Fire series.
Steven Erikson was highly recommended, so I read Gardens of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates, which I both loved. Memories of Ice, however, was not my type, so I couldn't go on with the rest of the series (I'm wondering if the rest of the books are better). Anyway, I just recently joined the forums because I'm now writing a novel, and I wanted to get a better understanding of what readers like and dislike. So far, I've already learned many valuable lessons.

Fantasy books I like: Dragonlance Trilogy, A Song of Ice and Fire, Icewind Dale Trilogy, Dark Elf Trilogy.
Fantasy movies I like: Willow, Star Wars (the original 3), Excalibur (from 1980s), Clash of the Titans (from 1980s), Stardust, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
Fantasy games I played/still play: Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft, Dota 2, Magic the Gathering Online.

Looking forward to having interesting discussions with you all :).

samalam_91

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Hi

I'm Sam, I was guided to the forum yesterday by TomTB via Twitter but I have used the lists on the website for recommendations before. Whilst I have been a long-time bookworm I have only recently gotten into adult fantasy. So far I have read The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss which is fantastic! and I'm currently halfway through the second book in the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson which I am also loving :)

I'm hoping you guys can recommend my next series to start after that as I'm not really sure what to read. I was thinking of reading The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie as I already own them but I'm happy to read them another time if you guys have better suggestions. I have tried to read A Song Of Ice And Fire multiple times but I always get at A Clash Of Kings, for some reason I just cant get through it.

Anyway this has turned into less of an introduction and more of a life story so I will stop here haha. I look forward to meeting you all and using the forum :)

On a side note, I cant figure out how to change my profile picture :confused: Am I just being really dumb? I wouldn't put it past me haha

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi

I'm Sam, I was guided to the forum yesterday by TomTB via Twitter but I have used the lists on the website for recommendations before. Whilst I have been a long-time bookworm I have only recently gotten into adult fantasy. So far I have read The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss which is fantastic! and I'm currently halfway through the second book in the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson which I am also loving :)

I'm hoping you guys can recommend my next series to start after that as I'm not really sure what to read. I was thinking of reading The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie as I already own them but I'm happy to read them another time if you guys have better suggestions. I have tried to read A Song Of Ice And Fire multiple times but I always get at A Clash Of Kings, for some reason I just cant get through it.

Anyway this has turned into less of an introduction and more of a life story so I will stop here haha. I look forward to meeting you all and using the forum :)

On a side note, I cant figure out how to change my profile picture :confused: Am I just being really dumb? I wouldn't put it past me haha
Hi :) Glad to see you got signed up! I think you can only change your profile pic after you've been active for a set amount of time .. you'll be able to eventually!

I would definitely recommend starting First Law .. it's awesome, as are the standalones set in the same world, as is his most recent trilogy. The guy's a legend!

samalam_91

Hi :) Glad to see you got signed up! I think you can only change your profile pic after you've been active for a set amount of time .. you'll be able to eventually!

I would definitely recommend starting First Law .. it's awesome, as are the standalones set in the same world, as is his most recent trilogy. The guy's a legend!
Ah that's fair enough I guess, thanks for telling me :)

samalam_91

I hope you don't mind me bugging you with my newbie questions but how do you edit your signature? I found an about me section that I can edit but not the signature.. Thanks :)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope you don't mind me bugging you with my newbie questions but how do you edit your signature? I found an about me section that I can edit but not the signature.. Thanks :)
No worries :)

If you click on your username at the top of this page, there is a signature option.