Introductions!

Olli Tooley

Told lies with Locke
Hello all.
I must say, it's all gone very multilingual round here. (A good thing IMO)
Rome? Aah, that's where all our troubles begin. ;) And I say that as a direct descendant of Octavian (and Julius Caesar by adoption)
I am also directly descended from Boudicca, so the charts tell me, presumably one of her unfortunate daughters went on to have children?
I'm not boasting. Estimates say that at least half of all Europeans are direct descendants of Carolus Magnus, Charles, the Great, or Charlemagne as he is most commonly known. You all have the blood of Monarchs and Emperors running through your veins. Every last one of you.

Andrew.J

Journeyed there and back again
Hello all.
I must say, it's all gone very multilingual round here. (A good thing IMO)
Rome? Aah, that's where all our troubles begin. ;) And I say that as a direct descendant of Octavian (and Julius Caesar by adoption)
I am also directly descended from Boudicca, so the charts tell me, presumably one of her unfortunate daughters went on to have children?
I'm not boasting. Estimates say that at least half of all Europeans are direct descendants of Carolus Magnus, Charles, the Great, or Charlemagne as he is most commonly known. You all have the blood of Monarchs and Emperors running through your veins. Every last one of you.
But I'm still special, right?

Peat

Arguably by now, the most special people in Europe are those who are descended from nobody royal at all.

... Now there's a book idea to play with.

Anyway, hi! I will call myself Peat here, combining as it does a nod to my actual name and my favourite drink. I have one leg shorter than the other, no language other than English, a taste for bad jokes and an appetite for destruction. Oh. I also snore.

I also like fantasy books, but you probably guessed that from the fact I was here. I got hooked by my parents reading me the Hobbit, a babysitter who really liked Discworld, and a school library full of David Eddings' books. Although I now pull my hair out screaming at Eddings' tendency to use the same thing again... and again... and ag-

*falls off chair and starts snoring*

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Arguably by now, the most special people in Europe are those who are descended from nobody royal at all.

... Now there's a book idea to play with.

Anyway, hi! I will call myself Peat here, combining as it does a nod to my actual name and my favourite drink. I have one leg shorter than the other, no language other than English, a taste for bad jokes and an appetite for destruction. Oh. I also snore.

I also like fantasy books, but you probably guessed that from the fact I was here. I got hooked by my parents reading me the Hobbit, a babysitter who really liked Discworld, and a school library full of David Eddings' books. Although I now pull my hair out screaming at Eddings' tendency to use the same thing again... and again... and ag-

*falls off chair and starts snoring*
Welcome to the forum Peat :happy:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Welcome!

Anti_Quated

Howdy @Peat . Hang around; the community here is easily the most charming and affable as I've ever encountered in my limited forays across the seas of cyberspace (plus, damn do they have some brilliant recommendations - I'll be playing catch-up for the next five years minimum!).

Travis

Might as well be a Malazan regular
Hi Everyone!

So I posted a few times already because I hadn't seen this Introduction post yet (oh well! :p) Anyway, I'm new here although I've been lurking and reading a whole bunch on this site for the last year-ish. I've never been much of a forum person but I've thoroughly enjoyed reading recommendations on this site and it has prompted me to join in the discussions! Reviews/recommendations seem to be very well thought out, and in general everyone seems respectful of each other. It also looks like a lot of the most prominent members are from areas of the world different from my own - this especially appeals to me.

My favorite series thus far is ASoIaF. I also play a lot of video games and watch a lot of anime with my fiancee.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Everyone!

So I posted a few times already because I hadn't seen this Introduction post yet (oh well! :p) Anyway, I'm new here although I've been lurking and reading a whole bunch on this site for the last year-ish. I've never been much of a forum person but I've thoroughly enjoyed reading recommendations on this site and it has prompted me to join in the discussions! Reviews/recommendations seem to be very well thought out, and in general everyone seems respectful of each other. It also looks like a lot of the most prominent members are from areas of the world different from my own - this especially appeals to me.

My favorite series thus far is ASoIaF. I also play a lot of video games and watch a lot of anime with my fiancee.
Hey Travis, pleased to meet you :) Where abouts are you from?

Travis

Hey Travis, pleased to meet you :) Where abouts are you from?
Pleased to meet you as well Tom! I'm from the US, so nothing too special there. In my experience, most places on the internet tend to be dominated by people from the US so I love an opportunity to broaden my horizons, especially when it comes to something I enjoy, like books. Different perspectives can be a wonderful thing! =)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pleased to meet you as well Tom! I'm from the US, so nothing too special there. In my experience, most places on the internet tend to be dominated by people from the US so I love an opportunity to broaden my horizons, especially when it comes to something I enjoy, like books. Different perspectives can be a wonderful thing! =)
Well .. Unfortunately we've got several other members from the US, so guess another won't hurt (joke!), but yeah, we've got most continents ticked off between us all :) Have you heard of the band Travis from Scotland, big in the 90s - early noughties? One of their songs played a prominent part at my wedding! Anyhoo, I digress ..

Travis

Well .. Unfortunately we've got several other members from the US, so guess another won't hurt (joke!), but yeah, we've got most continents ticked off between us all :) Have you heard of the band Travis from Scotland, big in the 90s - early noughties? One of their songs played a prominent part at my wedding! Anyhoo, I digress ..
I actually do think I've heard of that band! Feels kind of uncanny actually because I'm pretty sure I'd heard of them 10 years ago or so and completely forgotten about them until now. Glad to hear I sort of, although not really in any way, had something of significance to do with your wedding! :p

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Welcome Travis!

Charles Parkes

Stood on the wall with Druss
Hi everyone. My name's Charles Parkes, and I'm an aspiring interactive fiction writer.

Very happy to have found this forum! It looks like a really nice relatively close knit community :happy:

Hope to get to know a few of you and share some fun stuff on fantasy fiction!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi everyone. My name's Charles Parkes, and I'm an aspiring interactive fiction writer.

Very happy to have found this forum! It looks like a really nice relatively close knit community :happy:

Hope to get to know a few of you and share some fun stuff on fantasy fiction!
Welcome CP! Glad you stumbled across our little corner of the Internet :)