Introductions!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Hi! I just signed up for these forums today and now, thanks to Silvion Night, I have found the accompanying introductions thread.

Short bio: I'm a writer. Also a writing coach, occasional dog walker, pizza baker and vintage clothes salesperson - but writing is both my job and biggest love. One day, I hope to publish a book all my own (okay, preferably a series, but let's not get our hopes up too high). For now, I earn my money writing for other people's businesses.

I live in The Netherlands with my partner and our fat black cat named Mina. Apart from writing, I enjoy (race) cycling, gardening, knitting, reading, evenings with friends and dancing. I'm what you would call an extraverted introvert: judging by my hobbies I'm an old lady, but then I surprise you and turn into that person you have to sweep out after the party has long ended.

I'm here to share my passion for reading fantasy books and in the long run maybe help some other aspiring authors with my coaching skills. Hope to meet many of you along the way!

Welkom op het forum!

Are you an aspiring fantasy writer? Some time ago in another thread we had a discussion about whether fantasy writers are mostly Anglo-Saxon and whether fantasy fiction is an Anglo-Saxon preserve. You can read about it here. I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

R.E.M. Verberg

A farm boy with a sword
Thank you @Andrew.J and @Silvion Night !

Yes, Silvion, after four 'literary/indie romance/mix of everything because I can't make my mind up' manuscripts I have now turned to the fantasy genre (which I've always loved). I will definitely check out that thread! I myself am Dutch like you:).

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Thank you @Andrew.J and @Silvion Night !

Yes, Silvion, after four 'literary/indie romance/mix of everything because I can't make my mind up' manuscripts I have now turned to the fantasy genre (which I've always loved). I will definitely check out that thread! I myself am Dutch like you:).
Awesome! :) You're one of only three Dutchies on the forum (@Jakyro being the other one)

A couple of years ago I came up with the idea to write a post-Apocalyptic novel which takes place in the Netherlands. Over the years I wrote down quite a lot of notes about it, but for now it's still germinating. Perhaps some day in the future I will actually make work of it.

R.E.M. Verberg

A farm boy with a sword
Thanks @Nuomer1 ! I tend to lean towards low fantasy, not necessarily gritty fantasy/grimdark, but I like stories where the emphasis is more on the characters and their (psychological) development than on the plot or on high fantasy elements. I'm actually not sure how to pinpoint this in terms of genre. Emo fantasy? :) I don't mind a bit of a harsh/realistic tone, though. LOVE me some GRRM.

@Silvion Night Dutchies unite! Have you read 'Six Of Crows'? The city it is set in, Ketterdam, is a direct derivative of Golden Age Amsterdam. Could inspire your post-Apocalyptic sensibilities? :)
The idea sounds great, anyways.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Have you read 'Six Of Crows'? The city it is set in, Ketterdam, is a direct derivative of Golden Age Amsterdam. Could inspire your post-Apocalyptic sensibilities?
No I haven't. Thanks for the referral, I'll be sure to check it out.

CelestialAeon

A farm boy with a sword
Hello,

one finnish one joins the flock. I've been a fantasy / sci-fi nerd since a small kid. Started playing pen & paper RPGs before going to school and read Lord of the Rings when I was seven or so. While english is not my native language there was so little of anything available translated to finnish back in the day that I just read everything in english which lead to me writing school related english texts filled with obscure medieval weapon related / military words that sometimes made the teachers frown.

Music is an important hobby for me and I like to produce instrumental fantasy / celtic themed music especially under a few different artist names like Celestial Aeon Project, Frozen Silence and Project Divinity.

-Matti

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello,

one finnish one joins the flock. I've been a fantasy / sci-fi nerd since a small kid. Started playing pen & paper RPGs before going to school and read Lord of the Rings when I was seven or so. While english is not my native language there was so little of anything available translated to finnish back in the day that I just read everything in english which lead to me writing school related english texts filled with obscure medieval weapon related / military words that sometimes made the teachers frown.

Music is an important hobby for me and I like to produce instrumental fantasy / celtic themed music especially under a few different artist names like Celestial Aeon Project, Frozen Silence and Project Divinity.

-Matti
Welcome! You may well be our first Finn!? Hope you enjoy our tiny corner of the interweb :)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Cheers, glad to represent our tiny little country :)
Tiny as far as the population count goes, not so much in terms of landmass. In any case: nice to have Suomi represented here! Welcome!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Acronix

A farm boy with a sword
Hi,

I'm David, and I'm from Georgia (the state). Currently I'm a freshman here at a university. I've always enjoyed reading fantasy and also have played a lot of World of Warcraft for around 7 years. Trying to get into reading more as of late since I have been distracted with other things.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Hi,

I'm David, and I'm from Georgia (the state). Currently I'm a freshman here at a university. I've always enjoyed reading fantasy and also have played a lot of World of Warcraft for around 7 years. Trying to get into reading more as of late since I have been distracted with other things.
Hi David! I also live in Georgia though it has been a long time since I was a freshman at a university (I turn 40 next month...). I got my PhD at Georgia Tech in 2012 and stayed around after that. Anyway, welcome to the boards!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Welcome David! Isn't Georgia the state where The Walking Dead tv-series is recorded?

ethereal.denizen

A farm boy with a sword
Hi, everyone! I'm new to the forums. I was looking for a nice place to converse with fellow fantasy/sci-fi geeks... and here I am. I live in SoCal and have a voracious appetite for all things fantasy & sci-fi. Hi.