Introductions!

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
Haha, no! .. that would be a bit cliché dontcha recon? Although I used to take my dog for walks in Sherwood Forest, it's just down the road from here (I got a right telling off once when Jasper went for a piddle up against the Major Oak!!)

I kinda figured the username was apt as I'm an eternal optimist, and loved the Thomas Covenant books (well the first 3 anyhow, haven't read the rest yet).
Absolutely cliche, was very much suggested tongue-in-cheek. :)

GhostWarrior

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
I don't think I've noticed this thread before lol :\

I'm Craig. 26. Currently at university studying for a honors degree in what's turned out to be mainly management. Ugh. I was late starter in education mainly due to becoming a carer for my grandparents at the age of 16, and had a crazy ex-girlfriend. Realised a few years ago that while doing the right thing might be good for the soul, it isn't always good for the other parts of your life so I got back into education and have started to turn my life around. My current grades put me on track for a First class degree so everything is falling into place at the moment. I live with my girlfriend who's studying the same course. She's awesome ;). Currently looking for work but live in a relatively poor and tiny area of Scotland so jobs are few and far between at the moment which is the only thing that's getting me down. If any of you live close by, give me work! Haha.

I love working out. I can get quite obsessed at times; I was obese in my younger years and have no intention of going back to the way I used to be. Recently pulled (or inflamed? I didn't go to get checked out and someone told me it might be/have been costochondritis :\) a muscle in my chest which has been in agony for the last 8 weeks leaving me a bit frustrated. It's easing off now.

In my spare time I read, write (pretty much anything from poems to articles - mainly for my own enjoyment although there are plans in motion with a friend, or perhaps a few friends, to create an online magazine but we'll see how that plays out), play pool, attempt to learn new languages, watch far too many boxsets, occasionally play xbox, watch sport (football, tennis, MMA and rugby for the most part although I'll usually watch anything that isn't cricket, golf, baseball or American football), record a podcast with a friend (usually discussing current events or media) and attempt to downsize my life in terms of material possessions (except books and boxsets! lol) in anticipation of moving to Texas within the next few years. My girlfriend has relatives there and it seems like there may be better options for us there with regards to graduate work than in the UK. However, who knows? Maybe we'll end up finding the perfect jobs right here or she'll come around to my Asia plans lol

I got into fantasy when I was really young. I can't remember exactly what books I read as a kid but I was always obsessed with magic and was lucky to be just young enough to get into Harry Potter right from the start, and old enough to gain some meaning from the books. From there I moved onto Lord of the Rings and Discworld. I suppose I became more obsessed with the genre after a girl bought me Wizard's First Rule in high school. I loved it. Unfortunately I began hating Sword of Truth a few years later but like many slogged through the rest of the series because I felt I had to. Currently my favourite series is Wheel of Time. I don't know if it's the sheer size of the series that I love so much or the fact that it all came together quite beautifully at the end that makes me love it so much but I've read through it more times than I like to remember. I've recently started reading Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, Stephen King's Dark Tower series and have ordered a few other series' first volumes so I've got plenty to keep me going - and posting.

Anyway, that's probably much more than you need to know about me. Hopefully I'll get to know you all better soon.

Antoxx

I don't think I've noticed this thread before lol :\

I'm Craig. 26. Currently at university studying for a honors degree in what's turned out to be mainly management. Ugh. I was late starter in education mainly due to becoming a carer for my grandparents at the age of 16, and had a crazy ex-girlfriend. Realised a few years ago that while doing the right thing might be good for the soul, it isn't always good for the other parts of your life so I got back into education and have started to turn my life around. My current grades put me on track for a First class degree so everything is falling into place at the moment. I live with my girlfriend who's studying the same course. She's awesome ;). Currently looking for work but live in a relatively poor and tiny area of Scotland so jobs are few and far between at the moment which is the only thing that's getting me down. If any of you live close by, give me work! Haha.

I love working out. I can get quite obsessed at times; I was obese in my younger years and have no intention of going back to the way I used to be. Recently pulled (or inflamed? I didn't go to get checked out and someone told me it might be/have been costochondritis :\) a muscle in my chest which has been in agony for the last 8 weeks leaving me a bit frustrated. It's easing off now.

In my spare time I read, write (pretty much anything from poems to articles - mainly for my own enjoyment although there are plans in motion with a friend, or perhaps a few friends, to create an online magazine but we'll see how that plays out), play pool, attempt to learn new languages, watch far too many boxsets, occasionally play xbox, watch sport (football, tennis, MMA and rugby for the most part although I'll usually watch anything that isn't cricket, golf, baseball or American football), record a podcast with a friend (usually discussing current events or media) and attempt to downsize my life in terms of material possessions (except books and boxsets! lol) in anticipation of moving to Texas within the next few years. My girlfriend has relatives there and it seems like there may be better options for us there with regards to graduate work than in the UK. However, who knows? Maybe we'll end up finding the perfect jobs right here or she'll come around to my Asia plans lol

I got into fantasy when I was really young. I can't remember exactly what books I read as a kid but I was always obsessed with magic and was lucky to be just young enough to get into Harry Potter right from the start, and old enough to gain some meaning from the books. From there I moved onto Lord of the Rings and Discworld. I suppose I became more obsessed with the genre after a girl bought me Wizard's First Rule in high school. I loved it. Unfortunately I began hating Sword of Truth a few years later but like many slogged through the rest of the series because I felt I had to. Currently my favourite series is Wheel of Time. I don't know if it's the sheer size of the series that I love so much or the fact that it all came together quite beautifully at the end that makes me love it so much but I've read through it more times than I like to remember. I've recently started reading Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, Stephen King's Dark Tower series and have ordered a few other series' first volumes so I've got plenty to keep me going - and posting.

Anyway, that's probably much more than you need to know about me. Hopefully I'll get to know you all better soon.
Great post GhostWarrior and really good to have you on the Boards. Have had hardly any discussion on Discworld on these Boards so good to hear we have someone who has been there.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
here i wil introduce myself again! lots of new peeps and i can't be bothered to go back through it to find my first introduction and i doubt you all have the time also.

Im 24 right now. i'm a girl. I live in Australia. I am a high school teacher but re training at the moment so that I can teach both primary and secondary. I have been around these forums for what seems like a very long time and they feel like 'mine'. I suspect a few others feel the same way, it's great to have a community to talk books with and i have read some incredibly amazing books since first coming to this site.

I frequently spell things incorrectly, i hardly ever punctuate my sentences, use the eclipse ... where it should not be used and i talk crap a lot in most of my posts, but i am university educated (even studied literature). I really like to think about the books I read when i read them for our book club or with a mind to review them on my blog, which i have not updated in a few weeks because i have been focusing on another aspect of my life.

I like to read, i love to eat and then gym it off (yes i use gym as both a noun and verb, it's an aussie and a me thing). i love to drink wine and watch my team play football (not lately we are not doing so great, but i do drink more wine of late ... coincidence?). I also like to listen to music and play boardgames with my family when we are all in the same state. I also love to eat breakfast at any time of the day, who doesn't love eggs on toast for dinner? or lunch?

that is it! any quuuuestions feel free to ask away!

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
2009!! hahah ahh seems so long ago

i am.. Cass. I live in Perth (Australia). i'm 20, I study high school teaching (drama is my major). i've read fantasy books since early high school and as i knew no one else who even read i have re read Eddings so many times i can't remember. Mostly because i had no idea who else to read. Now i'm all grown up and can search the web from my own computer i have found this site and it helps A LOT!!! i dislike sport with a passion.. i was called over the loud speaker at a school sports carnival to stop reading my book (the golden compass) and join in some events (bless my outdoor education teacher.

i get drawn into books way too easily and spend most of my uni exam breaks reading, i have horrible self control and I get very emotionally attached

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I frequently spell things incorrectly, i hardly ever punctuate my sentences, use the eclipse ... where it should not be used and i talk crap a lot in most of my posts, but i am university educated (even studied literature).
I usually don't pick on you but this is funny. I use the eclipse where it should not be.

There are many places an eclipse should not be used.

But sometimes it's hard to tell.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member

You better be good at rejecting other girls' advances. A fit young guy with a Scottish accent in Texas? Girls are going to be throwing themselves at you. Americans love any non-American English speaking country accent.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I usually don't pick on you but this is funny. I use the eclipse where it should not be.

There are many places an eclipse should not be used.

But sometimes it's hard to tell.
HAHAHAAHAH omg the tears! i'm laughing so hard. This was the funniest thing!

Thanks you!

GhostWarrior

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
You better be good at rejecting other girls' advances. A fit young guy with a Scottish accent in Texas? Girls are going to be throwing themselves at you. Americans love any non-American English speaking country accent.
My girlfriend will probably intercept any advance before it gets close enough for me to have to reject it haha :p

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Thought I would bump this thread back up to the "What's New?" page because we've had a couple of new posters in the last few weeks who haven't introduced themselves here yet.

moonspawn

here i wil introduce myself again! lots of new peeps and i can't be bothered to go back through it to find my first introduction and i doubt you all have the time also. Im 24 right now. i'm a girl. I live in Australia. I am a high school teacher but re training at the moment so that I can teach both primary and secondary. I have been around these forums for what seems like a very long time and they feel like 'mine'. I suspect a few others feel the same way, it's great to have a community to talk books with and i have read some incredibly amazing books since first coming to this site. I frequently spell things incorrectly, i hardly ever punctuate my sentences, use the eclipse ... where it should not be used and i talk crap a lot in most of my posts, but i am university educated (even studied literature). I really like to think about the books I read when i read them for our book club or with a mind to review them on my blog, which i have not updated in a few weeks because i have been focusing on another aspect of my life. I like to read, i love to eat and then gym it off (yes i use gym as both a noun and verb, it's an aussie and a me thing). i love to drink wine and watch my team play football (not lately we are not doing so great, but i do drink more wine of late ... coincidence?). I also like to listen to music and play boardgames with my family when we are all in the same state. I also love to eat breakfast at any time of the day, who doesn't love eggs on toast for dinner? or lunch? that is it! any quuuuestions feel free to ask away!
Danica, I like you a lot more after having read this post.

What's Australia like? All I know is that it's hot and they have Kangaroos and Koalas there.

What Australian authors have you read if any?

Antoxx

What's Australia like? All I know is that it's hot and they have Kangaroos and Koalas there.

What Australian authors have you read if any?
And snakes and poisonous spiders and sharks and poisonous jellyfish and crocs.............

Hand of Fear

Seems only fair that I should introduce myself since I haven't done so, my name is Rob and I'm 32 and I live in South Wales (not the New South Wales, though I have a dream that one day I will visit there).

I have been living with my fiancee for five months who I'm getting married to next July, and I'm very much looking forward to it. I work for a telecommunications company called Virgin, in my spare time I enjoy reading, cycling to work if it's nice walking the dog Holly and a little bit of golf I used to fish to but just don't have enough time these days.

I enjoy watching The Borgias, Revolution, GoT, Spartacus, Banshee, Lexx, Smallville, The Vampire Diaries there's a lot more though I'm sure you get the picture. Some of my favorite films are Blade Runner, Batman The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus, Aliens, The Resident Evil films, Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, Gangs of New York and AVP.

I love eating out with friends and family drinking pear cider and Red wine, and hopefully one day my back garden will be finished so I can chill outside.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
All I know is that it's hot and they have Kangaroos and Koalas there.
indeed we do. Koalas sound the demons at night and scare the living shite out of me (u only really hear/see them if you are camping out int he bush or at a zoo tho). possums freak me out, and there are so many around where I live.

Australian authors have you read if any
pretty sure Trudi Canavan is the only one I know of. Read other non fantasy Aus authors.

snakes and poisonous spiders and sharks and poisonous jellyfish and crocs
yep those too. Lil bro was bitten by a snake playing in the backyard of a friends place and almost died. My dad had to go deal with a baby croc in a neighbours yard down the road once when I lived in Darwin, the reptile people thought it just coasted along the storm water drain, Darwin if you search it on google is famous for its crocs and tropical rain.

hahha why thank you! /bows

CONGRATS ROB!! Hand of Fear and welcome. I too like wine and sitting outside to drink it, hope u get your garden up soon. NSW is a great place to come visit, hit me up and i'll show u and ur wife around :p

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
indeed we do. Koalas sound the demons at night and scare the living shite out of me (u only really hear/see them if you are camping out int he bush or at a zoo tho). possums freak me out, and there are so many around where I live.
I always liked wombats the best.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
they are cool! they remind me of like a brown Pooh Bear. I think they would be a like species if ever there was one
They're built like tanks, too. I was in a car on a farm, forget if it was in Queensland or New South Wales, and we hit a wombat. It was stunned a little bit, but when we went back by later, the little (!) guy had recovered and wandered off.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
They're built like tanks
I drive a fair bit, i've driven all over Aus multiple time by myself or as a young kid with my rents. Wombats and kangaroos are the WORST, they can mutilate your car and can bound/wonder off .. or you know, lay there dead and you have to try and sort out a smashed up car that smells like dead animal.

moonspawn

Isn't Colleen McCullough from Australia? There are a few Australian authors I'm interested in reading.

Anyways as some of you know I was one of the few people pretentious enough to introduce himself in the main section of the forum so I guess I'll introduce myself again. Hello my name is David and I am 21 years old. I am a fiction writer, a voracious reader, a philosopher and much more. In my free time I am rarely away from a book or my computer, but in rare happenstances in which I am without either, I like to contemplate various subjects that are often philosopher and/or political in nature and formulate an opinion on the specific subjects or think of ways to argue different sides of an issue and generally try to put myself into a very spontaneous mind set; I soak up information like a sponge so try my best to sort out infallibility from implausibility.I am also a borderline anarchist.

I just returned to Washington State after having stayed in Arizona for two years and will be attending Green River community college. I don’t talk much….. Well hardly at all. I also don’t really feel like I have much of a family outside of mum and one of my uncles and maybe.... one of my cousins. Sad tale of intrigue, lies, betrayal and deceit. Feel free to ask questions.