Is this a typo or am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by schmidtcooper, Aug 22, 2017.

1. schmidtcooper

schmidtcooper Possibly a Darkfriend

Hey I'm new here and saw this over in top heroic fantasy list. I thought it was hilarious but maybe I missed something.
    [​IMG]

2. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Your comment, or you just liked it?

3. schmidtcooper

schmidtcooper Possibly a Darkfriend

No no, it says that Shallan is bisexual. So I was like,"wait she's what, is that a typo or did I miss that she's bisexual."

4. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Surely the final volume being due out soon is the bigger typo...

5. kenubrion

yeah we got it. why you needed to post it is the question.

6. Amaryllis

Amaryllis Journeyed there and back again

I feel like that is a perfectly legitimate question, since I cannot recall any indication of Shallan being bisexual in the books, and one might argue that accuracy in regards to a character's sexuality is somewhat important when writing about a book series for a major fantasy books site, particularly when the person who wrote it went well out of their way to mention it.

I'm not saying he's wrong. He's probably not, and I simply didn't read deeply enough. But I am not seeing what your beef with this guy asking is. I am guessing it was posted here because the same guy who wrote it also owns the forum.

7. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

This is EXACTLY like the "Dumbledore is gay, didn't you know?" thing. What's the story here?:

So when he was writing Shallan's scenes, Sanderson was subconsciously thinking about Shallan and Jasnah hooking up? I think that says a lot more about Sanderson's sexuality than Shallan's. :D

Let me be clear, I think it's awesome when an author writes gay/bi characters. Richard Morgan's A Land Fit for Heroes series is incredible. But they have to actually write the characters that way, not just sort of hint at it in a tweet. Why does this upset me? Because Shallan is not a well-written character. This isn't mine, but I agree: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight...oilers_shallans_clever_dialogue_is_making_me/ .

In addition to "cool" personalities, another big Sanderson weakness is that he can not or will not write a realistic adult relationship. No, he didn't write Shallan as gay/bi. He couldn't even write Vin as straight. All of his characters are neuter. No, that's not right. They're not asexual, they're presexual. A bunch of children, despite often technically being adults.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

9. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I agree with @Darwin. Sanderson can't write a realistic relationship if his life depended on it. And his characters are indeed clinically clean and asexual.

Still like his books though, just not the parts that deal with relationship or sexuality (or the absence thereof). And I dislike the Shallan chapters in Stormlight because they're so cringeworthy.

Anyways, @schmidtcooper: nice catch and thanks @Darwin for the extra information. I'm looking forward to Stormlight 3 and I'm sure this will give a new dimension to the story.

10. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Obligatory Stormshite is poo post

11. Silvion Night

Customary reply about me strongly believing you secretly love the series.

12. Darth Tater

Fun topic even though there may be nothing to it and it's currently irrelevant. That being said, what I'm REALLY curious to know is whether it was a typo or intentional ???:pompus:

13. kenubrion

Back in the old days anyone could post anything on the internet and people knew that and realized it was made up.

14. Darth Tater

I saw that this morning and was scratching my head thinking the same thing. But sometimes it's just too easy... :hilarious:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fiveth...happens-when-a-pitcher-throws-a-meatball/amp/

Dude, you've been horny for months. Have you thought about getting yourself one of those "happy ending" massages?

15. Darwin

Doh, I just deleted that post. Oh well lol.

16. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Highly damaging command throw requiring 50% super meter

17. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

That has, of course, been greatly devalued by a leading politician doing it in real-live interviews with serious journalists whenever he opens his moutho_O.
    Kind of ligitimizes made-up internet stupidity...

Back to Sanderson ... Indeed, it definitely would be newsworthy (if was true) if Sanderson considered writing about a person with deviant sexual desires...

18. Silvion Night

Or any sexual desires at all for that matter.

19. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

The scenes in Warbreaker when that one girl is supposed to consummate her marriage or whatever are like the most awkward thing, ever.

20. Darwin

Sanderson does courtships as well as anybody, but he just can't bring himself to follow through. It all works out okay when relationship development coincides with plot development so that the relationship doesn't need to be consummated within the story. There just can't be a lot of scenes in which the characters are married and have time on their hands. The relationship between Mat and Tuon worked out pretty well, because it was written so that their weird courtship would never really end, and they were either apart or occupied with the Last Battle. The relationship between Vin and Elend worked really well for the first Mistborn book, when they were just dating, but very poorly in the sequels where they're married.

It's annoying, but it's something he could work around. When a relationship gets to a certain point, create a distracting emergency and then end the books as soon as the action lets up. Alternatively, kill off one of the characters.