It’s April 2018: What Fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
It’s April. I just finished the second book of the Lightbringer series in like 8 days. Having kids between sports and a small break has helped. Really enjoyed the book and characters. The series is constantly moving forward and interesting without filler. My only complaint remains that the author doesn’t always describe some of the action scenes or magic very well. Even re-reading some segments I still can’t picture what is happening. But the books are so character based it is only a small complaint. On to book 3!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I'm always weighing between my spotify or an audiobook, but I have been actually reading as well.
Still on Dresden files, but I think I'm gonna move on to something else after White Night. Bridge of Birds needs attention too. If it wasn't for Tom's challenge to push me a little I think Spotify would win most of the time. But it's too early for a reading slump. That can wait 'til June-July.

Andrew.J

I'm always weighing between my spotify or an audiobook, but I have been actually reading as well.
Still on Dresden files, but I think I'm gonna move on to something else after White Night. Bridge of Birds needs attention too. If it wasn't for Tom's challenge to push me a little I think Spotify would win most of the time. But it's too early for a reading slump. That can wait 'til June-July.
Do you always get into a reading slump around that time every year? Mine have always been sporadic, usually when life gets a bit hectic, but they're hard to shake off for some reason. Late last year I barely read anything for around 4 months, for example. Right now I'm easing myself back into reading with some easy audiobooks. That seems to have been working quite well.

How is White Night?

Andrew.J

I'm currently listening to Veiled by Benedict Jacka, book 6 in an urban fantasy series set in London, somewhat like Dresden Files. I've been enjoying the books a lot, easy reads, but quite rewarding in the later books. So far there's been a positive trend of each book being better that the last one. Highly recommend if you want some urban fantasy. The audiobooks are especially good, I like the narrator a lot.

Cyphon

I'm currently listening to Veiled by Benedict Jacka, book 6 in an urban fantasy series set in London, somewhat like Dresden Files. I've been enjoying the books a lot, easy reads, but quite rewarding in the later books. So far there's been a positive trend of each book being better that the last one. Highly recommend if you want some urban fantasy. The audiobooks are especially good, I like the narrator a lot.
One of my complaints with the series was that the magic was so open ended and someone actually pointed me to this so I like to make sure everyone knows about it. A lot of extra information you can get that isn't always detailed in the books.

http://benedictjacka.co.uk/encyclopaedia/

Alucard

Staff member
Do you always get into a reading slump around that time every year? Mine have always been sporadic, usually when life gets a bit hectic, but they're hard to shake off for some reason. Late last year I barely read anything for around 4 months, for example. Right now I'm easing myself back into reading with some easy audiobooks. That seems to have been working quite well.

How is White Night?
Yeah, summer is tough. It's too hot to do anything even read :dead:
I don't know why but as soon as it get warmer I lose the motivation to read.

It's alright. I liked Dead Beat more.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Been gone for a long Easter weekend. During my trip I couldn't read much (kid is 3 and requires a lot of attention, I'm sure @TomTB can relate) and my wife is pregnant with the second, so the time not spent on playing football with the little one is spent on coddling the missus.

Anyways, I did get the chance to read the final 100 pages of House of Chains. This book was an absolute blast. I really liked the Karsa Orlong storyline in this book. It is perhaps one of the best story arcs I've ever encountered in fantasy. Strange thing is that during my first read of the Malazan series I didn't like the first third (Karsa's origin story) at all. Maybe I liked it better this time around because I know how interesting a character Karsa would become later on.

Another thing I liked about this one were the parts where we follow the punitive Malazan force under the leadership of Adjunct Tavore. It's really too bad we didn't get to see more of this character and the characters in her army (I know we will in future books, but still).

The other storylines were interesting as well. This time around I even liked the Shai'k parts. The only storyline that was a bit of a bore was the Apsalar/Cutter arc. I just can't inerest myself in their antics. The only thing I liked is that Cotillion often makes an appearance during the Apsalar/Cutter bits and I really love myself some Cotillion.

I've just started on Midnight Tides, and where I didn't much like the first part of this book during my first Malazan read, I now find the change of scenery to the Lether continent very pleasant.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been gone for a long Easter weekend. During my trip I couldn't read much (kid is 3 and requires a lot of attention, I'm sure @TomTB can relate) and my wife is pregnant with the second, so the time not spent on playing football with the little one is spent on coddling the missus.

Anyways, I did get the chance to read the final 100 pages of House of Chains. This book was an absolute blast. I really liked the Karsa Orlong storyline in this book. It is perhaps one of the best story arcs I've ever encountered in fantasy. Strange thing is that during my first read of the Malazan series I didn't like the first third (Karsa's origin story) at all. Maybe I liked it better this time around because I know how interesting a character Karsa would become later on.

Another thing I liked about this one were the parts where we follow the punitive Malazan force under the leadership of Adjunct Tavore. It's really too bad we didn't get to see more of this character and the characters in her army (I know we will in future books, but still).

The other storylines were interesting as well. This time around I even liked the Shai'k parts. The only storyline that was a bit of a bore was the Apsalar/Cutter arc. I just can't inerest myself in their antics. The only thing I liked is that Cotillion often makes an appearance during the Apsalar/Cutter bits and I really love myself some Cotillion.

I've just started on Midnight Tides, and where I didn't much like the first part of this book during my first Malazan read, I now find the change of scenery to the Lether continent very pleasant.
I wholeheartedly concur! Many congrats on #2. Double trouble :nailbiting:

Travis

Might as well be a Malazan regular
I'm currently about 2/3 through Red Rising and it's really surprised me. What started out as a 1984-ish book has turned into a Harry Potter meets Lord of the Flies meets Hunger Games book. It sounds like it really shouldn't work but it does, for the most part. It's kind of a YA novel I guess, but without MOST of the awful YA cliches you'd expect to see. I'm enjoying it a lot, but overall I am looking forward more to what happens after this book.

Cyphon

I'm currently about 2/3 through Red Rising and it's really surprised me. What started out as a 1984-ish book has turned into a Harry Potter meets Lord of the Flies meets Hunger Games book. It sounds like it really shouldn't work but it does, for the most part. It's kind of a YA novel I guess, but without MOST of the awful YA cliches you'd expect to see. I'm enjoying it a lot, but overall I am looking forward more to what happens after this book.
It is a great series through all 3 books IMO.

rudyjuly2

And the interesting thing is books 2 and 3 are quite different in story (no longer Hunger Games feel) and yet still excellent.

Darth Tater

The War Of The Flowers by Tad Willians.
OMG x3 !!This was not what I expected. Not only the best dark fairy tale I have ever read it was one of the best fantasy books I have ever read. The world building is incredible. I’m talking about the fairy world. It’s a world so much like ours and yet so much different. He does such a good job describing it that it’s almost like you were there. It is a beautiful story that made me smile and hold back tears. The characters in it are so real whether they are human beings, foul mothed cheeky fairies, or goblins. He has quite a sense of humor. I plan to read Uprooted before too long but it cannot imagine it possibly beating this story no matter how good it is. At one point the protagonist says something to the effect of “ this is the worst damn fairytale in the world “. There is even a moment reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz. If GGK is my favorite writer Tad Williams is a very very close second. Or is it the other way around? I completed this 3 hours ago and I still feel the magic. Anyhow, if this sort of tale is up your alley don’t miss out!!

Alucard

Staff member
OMG x3 !!This was not what I expected. Not only the best dark fairy tale I have ever read it was one of the best fantasy books I have ever read.
I really want to read this. I like anything regarding the Seelie and Unseelie courts. I was absolutely hooked on Brian Froud's art books as a kid. I have them in both my language and I got them in English as an adult :)
I think that's the best mythology that has come out of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Legend of king Arthur is second best to me.

kenubrion

OMG x3 !!This was not what I expected. Not only the best dark fairy tale I have ever read it was one of the best fantasy books I have ever read. The world building is incredible. I’m talking about the fairy world. It’s a world so much like ours and yet so much different. He does such a good job describing it that it’s almost like you were there. It is a beautiful story that made me smile and hold back tears. The characters in it are so real whether they are human beings, foul mothed cheeky fairies, or goblins. He has quite a sense of humor. I plan to read Uprooted before too long but it cannot imagine it possibly beating this story no matter how good it is. At one point the protagonist says something to the effect of “ this is the worst damn fairytale in the world “. There is even a moment reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz. If GGK is my favorite writer Tad Williams is a very very close second. Or is it the other way around? I completed this 3 hours ago and I still feel the magic. Anyhow, if this sort of tale is up your alley don’t miss out!!
Wow, what a great rec. Thanks Darth. I think this was on sale and I missed it but it's only $6.99 anyway. All of Tad's books are inexpensive.

Cyphon

That is quite the recommendation. I am going to check some of these out. Have been considering Uprooted, The Bear and the Nightingale, and now I will add this. Need more to listen to during my drives so I will give them all a go. I have my doubts but they also all sound intriguing based on reviews.

rudyjuly2

Am I the only one that didn't really care for Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad? Kind of scared me off of anything else he's written. He wrote the Dragonbone Chair when he was young so I don't know if his style has changed.

Darth Tater

I really want to read this. I like anything regarding the Seelie and Unseelie courts. I was absolutely hooked on Brian Froud's art books as a kid. I have them in both my language and I got them in English as an adult :)
I think that's the best mythology that has come out of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Legend of king Arthur is second best to me.
This is somewhat distantly (then again not so distantly) tied in with non-Arthurian royalty. King and queen of the fairies Oberon and Titania.

As far as an Irish flavor (other than the presence of fairies themselves...you can’t really seperate fairies and the like from Ireland, can you?) I undoubtedly missed stuff-more informed readers, like yourself in this area will certainly catch much more- I only find it in a particular lovable firecracker’s LOL speech patterns (both in tone and language).

Tad Williams doesn’t miss much in this delightful pot pourri of a tale.

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Am I the only one that didn't really care for Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad? Kind of scared me off of anything else he's written. He wrote the Dragonbone Chair when he was young so I don't know if his style has changed.
Possibly, yes ;)

I've really liked everything I've read of his. I read War of the Flowers quite early on in my fantasy reading career and don't remember too much about it if I'm honest, but I do remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Cyphon

Just finished The Maelstrom by Henry H. Neff, book 4 of The Tapestry series.

Not my favorite book in the series but overall still pretty much par for the course. Being as I have never read book 5 and finished this series I am really looking forward to finally doing that after so many years.

8/10