It’s April 2018: What Fantasy book are you reading?

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
Don't be embarrassed about that. Be embarrassed that Americans have asked whether people drive cars, keep dogs as pets, or are black in England :p

we all have bias based on our life experiences, bias experience brings bias questions. I have received equally ridiculous questions from British.

(do you guys have mailboxes? do you have proper mailslots? do you drive everywhere? does everyone live on farms? is everyone a Christian? you get british shows no way!!)

on the black bit, i received equally ignorant questions, in both directions from English, Koreans, French and Germans. I am used to living in areas 60% black, 20% minimum so if I didn't know better I may have spent a few days in lancashire, not seeing any, and stupidly asked. but I do know better (and im not ignorant, and I didn' t notice, and I didn't care) I know the pop there is 0.5%. that reminds me of living in blanco texas, a racist coworker introduced me to a guy named robert, as "the whole counties black population" . I hated that racist coworker.

Darth Tater

Just wait until England gets microwave ovens. They cook meals in a jiffy. Then again, they do require something called electricity so maybe you’ll need to wait a bit.

His Majesty's Dragon (Dragons of Temeraire). Light but well written and lots of fun. But how is it that Dragons are hundreds of times our size, most are much more intelligent, and yet they allow us to harness them, boss them around, ride them into life and death battles having nothing to do with them, and in some cases abuse them? Regardless, I will read the next book soon! The characters are somewhat flat but interesting in this “feel good book” that held my interest from beginning to end. Why must the main dragon be named Temeraire? It interrupts the flow for me. Next book I’ll just read it as Tamale, or better yet Tremors!

Beauty. A rewriting of Beauty And The Beast. I knew nothing about the original beforehand but read the Disney summary afterwards which probably isn’t THAT far from the original. Robin McKinnley, as advertised, turned this fairy take topsy turvy. You knew where it was heading but still a charming tale with a great atmosphere. There are words, humor and concepts that would fly by a child. I didn’t even consider it YA and anyone who enjoys fairy tales should love this! I certainly plan to read more books by her. The only negatives were her a little 40 page tangent describing woods and a castle where IMO 15 pages would have sufficed. Otherwise, very difficult to put down. The ending seemed rather rushed and partially didn’t make sense. Those wasted 25 pages could’ve been put to better use.

I don’t know about other readers but many really good fantasy books suck me right in and stress me out. These provide a welcome break without genre hopping.

ExTended

Why must the main dragon be named Temeraire? It interrupts the flow for me. Next book I’ll just read it as Tamale, or better yet Tremors!
In the audiobook it's pronounced at Temerer( with just a hint towards Temerear with a strong r sound in the end), similar to how Boromir and Faramir are pronounced in LOTR if that helps a bit. It's French, so their rules about pronunciation apply. If you know how Voltaire is supposed to be pronounced as Volter or Voltear, it's basically the same.

Bierschneeman

In the audiobook it's pronounced at Temerer( with just a hint towards Temerear with a strong r sound in the end), similar to how Boromir and Faramir are pronounced in LOTR if that helps a bit. It's French, so their rules about pronunciation apply. If you know how Voltaire is supposed to be pronounced as Volter or Voltear, it's basically the same.
blast you english and your incomprehensible multi interpretational pronounciations.

I thought I had all of those correct, but now you have sent me to a spiral of questions on my sanity.

Faramir and boromir both end in ear, EEEr.
or at least that is how they are pronounced in the movies (they mispronounced the dwarf names often in many versions of media, so why not these too, I can accept it either way I guess)

then we have Voltaire, which I always thought was volt-air or vole-t-air (also 'ere , like A-er)
but then you have volter listed, which I would pronounce vole-t-er or volt-er (where 'er' is like porter, or twice Berliner)
next we have voltear which I would pronounce volt-ear (like boromir is in movies with a EEr

so I have two strikes towards EEr

have I been mispronouncing Voltaire for decades?

humbled

Last edited:

ExTended

blast you english and your incomprehensible multi interpretational pronounciations.

I thought I had all of those correct, but now you have sent me to a spiral of questions on my sanity.

Faramir and boromir both end in ear, EEEr.
or at least that is how they are pronounced in the movies (they mispronounced the dwarf names, so why not these too, I can accept it either way I guess)

then we have Voltaire, which I always thought was volt-air or vole-t-air (also 'ere , like A-er)
but then you have volter listed, which I would pronounce vole-t-er or volt-er (where 'er' is like porter, or twice Berliner)
next we have voltear which I would pronounce volt-ear (like boromir is in movies with a EEr

so I have two strikes towards EEr

have I been mispronouncing Voltaire for decades?

humbled
Well, it largely comes to how truthful you want to be to the original, while also taking into account what's the proper pronunciation in your local language, so you won't sound like a pretentious sod to your friends. :)

This video has the original French pronunciation, but if you aren't well-versed in their style of curling particular sounds, it would be hard for you to imitate it. I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to myself, so I keep to the closest thing in spirit, while also taking into consideration our local take on the name - we actually say it as Voltѐr, so that's what I've meant when I was typing it as Volter.

Basically everyone outside of France is saying it kind of wrong, we just differ in the ways in which we butcher the name. :D

Bierschneeman

Well, it largely comes to how truthful you want to be to the original, while also taking into account what's the proper pronunciation in your local language, so you won't sound like a pretentious sod to your friends. :)

This video has the original French pronunciation, but if you aren't well-versed in their style of curling particular sounds, it would be hard for you to imitate it. I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to myself, so I keep to the closest thing in spirit, while also taking into consideration our local take on the name - we actually say it as Voltѐr, so that's what I've meant when I was typing it as Volter.

Basically everyone outside of France is saying it kind of wrong, we just differ in the ways in which we butcher the name. :D
awesome. thank you

I am glad to know I pronounce it as close as an American accent can without putting on 'airs' (what's the name of a pun, taken backwards?)

but now I have to know, by the inclusion of Faramir and Boromir, did peter Jackson mispronounced them (meer) asnd should be proounced (aire)?

Bierschneeman

just finished Blood Born~ Patricia Briggs

better than book one, and again I will guard against bad thoughts. Yes Twilight and the Charlene Harris series BOTH came out before Briggs. Yes Briggs is riding the crest of a wave in Paranormal Fantasy that was Started by these two. Yes Briggs has Vampire, Werewolves, Fey, and non-werewolf shifters (Charlene Harris did too) BUT that small bit is where the similarities STart and Stop. Comparing this series to those would be like comparing Dresden Files with Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings to Eragon.

Okay we have a love triangle of sort, as the main character is set into two packs of Werewolves (one in her past where she grew up, the other where she is) and investigating some new danger by the vampires, the fey have gone public and are well known to modern humans, but these two groups HAVE NOT. we deal with a Paranormal investigation LIKE plot, but we have to deal with something cool (not a spoiler it reveals early) a Demon Vampire. (not a vampiric Demon, a demon Vampire, like saying Halforc but it is not derived from breeding) It might not be a new concept, but it is new to me. I thought it was a good twist, unlike so many Bad twists out there.

I think Dresden Files is better, but this is still nice, and comparable. lets call it Rural Fantasy because it is not quite Urban, but deals specifically with small mountain towns.

I might actually read Iron Kissed (next) whereas after the first book I thought I might stop here.
BUT next up I read Malory, L'mort D'Arthur. It has been on my todo list for decades.,

7.5/10

Travis

Might as well be a Malazan regular
Finished Golden Son yesterday and started Morningstar (currently ~60 pages in). While I enjoyed Golden Son slightly less than Red Rising overall, the last 5 or so chapters blew me away. Especially the final chapter:

That last chapter reminded me so much of the Red Wedding from ASoIaF. While not as devastating overall as the Red Wedding was, I had the same kind of feeling leading up to it. I loved all the little hints that Brown gave to let you know that shit is about to go down. It was fairly subtle and the build-up to when the shit hit the fan was extremely satisfying. Pure awesome.

Peat

Aye, fair comment that everywhere has idiots - but be embarrassed by the idiots, not the reasonable lack of knowledge

His Majesty's Dragon (Dragons of Temeraire). Light but well written and lots of fun. But how is it that Dragons are hundreds of times our size, most are much more intelligent, and yet they allow us to harness them, boss them around, ride them into life and death battles having nothing to do with them, and in some cases abuse them? Regardless, I will read the next book soon! The characters are somewhat flat but interesting in this “feel good book” that held my interest from beginning to end. Why must the main dragon be named Temeraire? It interrupts the flow for me. Next book I’ll just read it as Tamale, or better yet Tremors!
I absolutely loved it when I first read it. Thought it had a lot of flaws, but all of them could be answered by "But yeah its a lot of fun"

But I never got round to reading the next book for whatever reason.

Darth Tater

Aye, fair comment that everywhere has idiots - but be embarrassed by the idiots, not the reasonable lack of knowledge

I absolutely loved it when I first read it. Thought it had a lot of flaws, but all of them could be answered by "But yeah its a lot of fun"

But I never got round to reading the next book for whatever reason.
Yeah. It’s the kind of series that may lose it’s novelty/charm after a couple books. Maybe something where I will just pick up a new one every blue moon (like I do with Dresden). Time will tell.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
About 2/3 into the Bonehunters and WOW, this book rocks! I forgot how awesome MoI and the Bonehunters are. There's really nothing like it in Fantasy. So complex and filled with interesting notions and philosophy.