It’s August 2018: What SF book are you reading?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I'm reading the 14th of 15 new novellas by Robert Reed in The Great Ship series. Best generation ship tales I've read.

Bierschneeman

read The Stainless Steel Rat, and Stainless Steel Rat Returns. ~ Harry Harrison.

pretty good, not great. this is the worlds greatest thief, but its a pride not necessity. He is the worlds greatest thief because he wants to be. He is so egotistical He will do small cons, large cons, intricate cons. It doesn't matter, as long as he doesn't repeat himself.

He just got caught, and recruited to hunt down other thieves.

I can make a thousand comparisons to the anime/manga Lupin the 3rd. He even falls in love with another thief, whom he tries so hard not to tied down by, but wants to be. the dichotamy of their relationship is directly related to Lupin, except this came out 7 years earlier.

Nothing to deep here, nothing philosophical, just a fun thief/antithief crime thriller with hundreds of jokes, and clever technology, that seems futuristic, but from a 1960s point of view (still similar to Lupin

7/10 the both of them I

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm still reading Dust of Dreams (Malazan #9). I've only read about 10 pages in the last week or so. The reason being... I just became a father for the second time! This also explains my inactivity over the past 2 weeks.

Anyways, I found that reading Malazan requires my full attention. My sleep deprived brain can't handle the complex story, hence the fact that it is slow going.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Thanks gents!

Andrew.J

I've developed a bit of an interest in sci-fi since the last time I wrote here. I've recently started reading Hyperion, which has been quite brilliant so far. Structurally it seems very similar to Canterbury Tales, very well-written as well. And I've also been listening to Leviathan Wakes in the Expanse series. I'm not sold yet, but it's pretty fun.

I also read Dune a few weeks ago. Didn't impress me as much, as I thought it would, but it was a good read nonetheless. I probably won't be reading the sequels, though.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I also read Dune a few weeks ago. Didn't impress me as much, as I thought it would, but it was a good read nonetheless. I probably won't be reading the sequels, though.
Do yourself a favor and steer clear of the sequels. They are nowhere near as good as Dune.

Derk of Derkholm

Started "The Three Body Problem", but am still having trouble to "get into it". Hmmm.