It’s July 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
About 200 pages into the first book of Hobbs Liveship Traders and I have no idea where the story is going. Just characters living out lives right now. I am intrigued but the pirate captain is a douschebag.

Happy Canada Day!

Darth Tater

City Of Stairs moved a bit slow for me but wasn’t boring. The main character is female, which kind of surprised me with a male author but she was well drawn and quite sympathetic and likable. Her sidekick was a badass and actually LOL funny. Not by what he says-he hardly speaks-but by his actions. When there was action it was exciting. The book is very political, and frustratingly confusing at times. While it was original there wasn’t anything mind blowing. I wasn’t thinking about going further until the last 35-40 pages which are very revealing and intriguing so hell yes I want to know what happens in book 2! I gave it four stars out of five.

rudyjuly2

City Of Stairs moved a bit slow for me but wasn’t boring. The main character is female, which kind of surprised me with a male author but she was well drawn and quite sympathetic and likable. Her sidekick was a badass and actually LOL funny. Not by what he says-he hardly speaks-but by his actions. When there was action it was exciting. The book is very political, and frustratingly confusing at times. While it was original there wasn’t anything mind blowing. I wasn’t thinking about going further until the last 35-40 pages which are very revealing and intriguing so hell yes I want to know what happens in book 2! I gave it four stars out of five.
The first book was pretty decent but not quite good enough for me to continue. I liked her bodyguard too. I do think I will return as I like the main character (the judge I think) in book 2.

Darth Tater

I liked the judge as well.

I thought in book one the judge was only the main character for the first 10% but then the POV switched almost exclusively to the ambassador so that overall it was 75%,Ambassador (Shara) and 20% judge (Murlagesh) and bodyguard (Sigurd) ,and 5% minor characters. Or are you saying the judge takes a bigger role in book 2?

Blastoise

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Going through Malazan for the first time. About 70% of the way through. It took a little bit for me to get a good grip on everything going on (the different groups of characters, their relations, how they are moving geographically, etc). I enjoy it so far, though.

I have heard that the first book is quite different compared to the rest of the series?

rudyjuly2

I liked the judge as well.

I thought in book one the judge was only the main character for the first 10% but then the POV switched almost exclusively to the ambassador so that overall it was 75%,Ambassador (Shara) and 20% judge (Murlagesh) and bodyguard (Sigurd) ,and 5% minor characters. Or are you saying the judge takes a bigger role in book 2?
I read the sample only but I think the judge is the main character and takes on the biggest role in book 2. I could be wrong.

kenubrion

Going through Malazan for the first time. About 70% of the way through. It took a little bit for me to get a good grip on everything going on (the different groups of characters, their relations, how they are moving geographically, etc). I enjoy it so far, though.

I have heard that the first book is quite different compared to the rest of the series?
Yes, Gardens of the Moon just dumps you into a story that's been going on quite a while before you get there. It will make sense but after reading later books. Good news is the following books are much better as well as totally understandable, a linear story for the most part except for a few flashbacks.

Darth Tater

I read the sample only but I think the judge is the main character and takes on the biggest role in book 2. I could be wrong.
]
Hmmm. In book one the first chapter is the judge’s POV which leads one to believe she’s the main character. The next chapter switches to the ambassador’s POV and stays with her for around 75% of the remainder. So maybe book 2 does the same thing?

Either way, I’m now ambivalent about returning although Amazon reviews show the first two books getting positive reviews. Then book 3 blows those out of the water with 82% five stars. Interestingly, the top/lead review for book one was by @Sneaky Burrito. Ironically, exactly one year ago (July 3, 2017). :)

Last edited:

Travis

Killed a Balrog
Still working on Lies of Locke Lamora. Currently on page 450 of 700. I'll probably finish by the end of the weekend or maybe very early next week. I'm just absolutely loving it. I can hardly think of a single critical thing to say about it. Even with the jumping of loose POVs and time periods, it's very easy to follow. The way it's broken up into sub-chapters makes everything feel fast. Scott Lynch is great with his details too. It's the closest writing equivalent to G.R.R. Martin that I've come across (i.e. yes I like hearing how every character is dressed); granted Lynch uses 3rd person omniscient rather than 3rd person limited POVs; the writing style is still very similar, and I LOVE it.

Khartun

I finished the first two books from The Themis Files, Sleeping Giants and Waking Gods. Interesting series. Took me a bit to get used to the interview style of writing but it's well done. I really enjoyed it. I'll wait for the price to drop on book three.

Been trying to decide what to read next. I believe I'll start on A Time of Dread, book one of the new series from John Gwynne.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I just finished Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen main series, number 8). It contains a nice convergence at the end, with an awesome end-battle between two nayor bad-asses. Really enjoyed that.

I'm now reading two books on parenting (baby is due in 5 weeks...), but after that I'll plunge into Dust of Dreams.

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I just started King of Thorns. At about 85 pages in I'm liking it more than I did the first. I was kind of more interested in playing this video game I had at the time, though, so I really didn't give it as much attention as I probably should have and am doing now with the sequel.

Last edited:

ReguIa

I read The Eye of the World back before Christmas but didn't touch the series afterwards. Few days ago I picked up The Great Hunt and I'm much more excited to continue after having waited a while. First 100 pages have been great.

fbones24

Finished the "Echoes of the Fall" trilogy and have to say that it fizzled just a bit at the end. I definitely enjoyed the first two books more than the third but Adrian Tchaikovsky's writing and characters always speak to me on a deeper level. Just started "Borne: A Novel" by Jeff VanderMeer.

Khartun

I just finished Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen main series, number 8). It contains a nice convergence at the end, with an awesome end-battle between two nayor bad-asses. Really enjoyed that.

I'm now reading two books on parenting (baby is due in 5 weeks...), but after that I'll plunge into Dust of Dreams.
DoD was probably my least favorite book in the series. The entire Snake arc bored the hell out of me.

Darth Tater

Uprooted-Naomi Novik. Maybe my expectations were too lofty. The book has a very dark fairy tale atmosphere and I suppose it’s a twist to Beauty and the Beast as well some unfamiliar Polish fairy tale (baba yaga). Clever plot but I struggled to follow what was going on at times. Fun magic system although once she becomes proficient she’s unrealistically perfect even improvising on the fly. It seemed like there were a lot of superfluous details while a question and issue or two went unresolved. The characters were interesting. The first 50-75 pages were snoozers but surprisingly the last 50-75 as well. It is told entirely from the POV of the heroine. She’s like pigpen from the Peanuts strips. Her best friend and their relationship turns what one normally expects to find topsy turvy. There was the usual romance but it isn’t the main focus. Waking up each morning it was difficult to recall any details and I will not remember much about it in a couple of months. Unfortunately, I missed the boat on this one. 7.25/10

Next book will be my 50th of 2018. Ironically, it will be “Hawaii”, the 50th state admitted to the union, by James Michener. With the volcano issues recently it should be extra interesting. Not a bad rate considering I didn’t start the count until after spending the first ten days of January finishing up Oathbringer. Hawaii is 1,140 pages so it should slow things down a bit.

Around 60/40 on reading the second book of the Divine Cities trilogy which is above average to fairly good so far.

Maark Abbott

DNF'd Kings of the Wyld; it's my first ever DNF and I find myself again asking why I bought into a hype train.

Like... it's not bad, as such. It just doesn't match the hype at all. It reads like a D&D campaign gone awry. The pacing is far, far too fast and it doesn't feel like much is happening because of it. It took me about six weeks to get halfway in.

I'm going onto the second Locke Lamora book once my desire to read recovers.

ReguIa

Anyone reading Spinning Silver yet? I forgot it was coming out so it will have to wait until I'm finished with The Great Hunt.

Matticus Primal

DNF'd Kings of the Wyld; it's my first ever DNF and I find myself again asking why I bought into a hype train.

Like... it's not bad, as such. It just doesn't match the hype at all. It reads like a D&D campaign gone awry. The pacing is far, far too fast and it doesn't feel like much is happening because of it. It took me about six weeks to get halfway in.

I'm going onto the second Locke Lamora book once my desire to read recovers.
I swore I was the only one who felt this way of Wyld, which I also DNF. Not a bad book by any means, but once you see the schtick 10% in, you end up wondering if they're going to play any other notes or just stick to the one.