It’s July 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
So, after reading „Spellslinger“ I am now on „Greatcoats“ and really like it! For some reason I had always wrongly assumed from earlier reviews that this was somehow a „Historical adventure“ (e.g. a story set during some historic epoch and based on actual facts) which I had considered less important than an outright fantasy novel set in a fictional parallel timeline or universe. So I really like it :)

Matticus Primal

So, after reading „Spellslinger“ I am now on „Greatcoats“ and really like it! For some reason I had always wrongly assumed from earlier reviews that this was somehow a „Historical adventure“ (e.g. a story set during some historic epoch and based on actual facts) which I had considered less important than an outright fantasy novel set in a fictional parallel timeline or universe. So I really like it :)
I bet that first chapter with the witch assassin really disabused you of that notion something quick.

rudyjuly2

Finally finished the first book of Liveship Traders. This was a slower book based almost entirely on characters and their local stories. While the book hints of a mystery or two, there is no epic threat or plot to this book. You don’t really have a clue where the overall story is going and why. That is a negative for me, especially since the book was almost 900 pages.

That said, the characters and their individual stories are interesting. A couple guys are real jerks but the variety in the characters is interesting. I am invested in the story and will continue. The writing is good. I just hope at some point the purpose and end game of this series is revealed (and the sooner the better).

3.5 to 4/5

Derk of Derkholm

I bet that first chapter with the witch assassin really disabused you of that notion something quick.
That it did, aye :)

And I think I have already mentioned that I really like his style, particularly his humour:

Sebastien de Castell said:
"Good Night, Lord Tremondi." I said. "You weren't an especially good employer. You lied a lot, and never paid us what you promised.
But I guess that's ok, since we turned out to be pretty useless bodyguards"

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Halfway through Dust of Dreams now. I can't fantjhom why some people don't like this book. It's basically non-stop cool stuff with the most awesome characters. There's the Barghast and their war with the Akrynai. There's the stuff about the K'Chain Che Malle (super interesting, as these creatures were pretty much unknown before this book). There's the Bonehunters of course, with lots of interesting, fast-switching POVs. There's Tehol and Bug. The Perish and the Bolkando are also fun to read about.

Come on, what's not to like? Arguably the storyline about the Snake, but that is just a very minor part of the book.

fbones24

I just finished "The Poppy War" by RF Kuang and man that was powerful. At first, I was not sure whether I was even enjoying this book. I even said to my wife, "I like it but I don't love it." ...but I could not put this book down and it was one of those "...greater than the sum of its parts" deals.

There is a slight disconnect between the author's writing and how dark and gruesome this book is. At times it feels like YA and then it moves into rape, torture and brutality that made me flinch. Some of the dialogue was immature and did not fit the world and that is one of my pet peeves.

With that said, I could not put this book down. The characters truly come to life and they are as grey as grey can be. I don't even know if Rin (the main character) is good or evil after finishing this.

For me, this was a fresh take on military fantasy and I enjoyed it immensely. I can see a bright future ahead for Ms. Kuang.

Noor Al-Shanti

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I just finished reading Hand and Talon by Melonie Purcell. Excellent fantasy read. Now to look through this thread/forum for another read...

I'm going to hold out on Spinning Silver for a bit I think... Uprooted was not my fav thing in the world, but I liked it and Temeraire just enough to give the author another chance to impress me, just maybe not right now... >.>

Maark Abbott

Halfway through Dust of Dreams now. I can't fantjhom why some people don't like this book. It's basically non-stop cool stuff with the most awesome characters. There's the Barghast and their war with the Akrynai. There's the stuff about the K'Chain Che Malle (super interesting, as these creatures were pretty much unknown before this book). There's the Bonehunters of course, with lots of interesting, fast-switching POVs. There's Tehol and Bug. The Perish and the Bolkando are also fun to read about.

Come on, what's not to like? Arguably the storyline about the Snake, but that is just a very minor part of the book.
You see now why we call these bleating weepers 'the Unready'. One is either ready for Malazan, or not.

fbones24

Finished "The Strange Bird" by Jeff Vandermeer. On to reading "Spinning Silver."

GreyMouser

You see now why we call these bleating weepers 'the Unready'. One is either ready for Malazan, or not.
I loved 90% of Malazan but there were parts that in my opinion slogged a bit. Like the snake arc.

Derk of Derkholm

I thought this was a funny tweet today:

"64 years ago today, THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING was published.

64 years ago tomorrow, the first jerk asked “Why don’t the eagles just fly them to Mordor?”"
Easy. Air defenses were still up. Only defeating the ring and the all-seeing eye shut them down. Duh.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Maark Abbott

I've been reading light novels for a bit. Totally burned out on reading full length novels again.

ABatch

Hey old friends, Steel, Blood & Fire, which many of you have read, is currently:

#2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Myths & Legends > Norse & Viking
#3 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > War
#5 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Metaphysical & Visionary

And it's FREE for Kindle through Tuesday, 08/21/18
Steel, Blood and Fire
Love to hit #1 in one of those categories!