It’s June 2018: What SF book are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Not reading any sci-fi at the moment, and come to think of it: haven't read one in months. Any recommendations?

In any case: how about you guys? Are you reading sci-fi?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just recently started The Long War, second book in the Long Earth series by Pratchett and Baxter. Enjoying it a lot, they made a good writing duo, but not having read anything from either of them before I can't comment on what style is coming from who.

Recently completed the Themis Files trilogy, and that was superb. Definitely the best audio format books I've listened to, the full cast really enhanced the books!

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I just finally began Richard Morgan's Thirteen, which I didn't get to after reading the great Takeshi Kovacs trilogy because Steel Remains killed my fandom of Morgan. It's great already. Even more edgy than Kovacs.

Darth Tater

Starting Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie tomorrow. To be totally candid I haven’t really read much sci fi lately and ONLY picked it up to check off two Challenge categories (plus a new author toward my 30). Which is silly because, including these, I only anticipate knocking off 5 more maximum, raising my likely grand total from 32 to 37. Hopefully I like it or it won’t be worth my time regardless of the Challenge.

kenubrion

Christmas in June. It must be the first book in Neal Asher's new trilogy in the Polity/Spatterjay universe has dropped. Best science fiction being written in my opinion. So entertaining and his hard science is used deftly and becomes a large part of the story instead of humans being the stars. Start with Gridlinked.

Khartun

Christmas in June. It must be the first book in Neal Asher's new trilogy in the Polity/Spatterjay universe has dropped. Best science fiction being written in my opinion. So entertaining and his hard science is used deftly and becomes a large part of the story instead of humans being the stars. Start with Gridlinked.
You don't start with Prador Moon? I have these on my TBR. Just wondering.

Darth Tater

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. Very good space opera despite my frustration getting very confused with the politics, characters, and gender stuff. Not that the characters themselves weren’t confused about that stuff. Really good characters, imaginative plot, etc.
I probably wont read the rest of the trilogy, although admittedly, I’m curious to see what happens so who knows. Just not that excited by science fiction anymore. It is on Ben’s top 25 list so I think that is the best recommendation. Good stuff!