It’s June 2018: What SF book are you reading?

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
and I am impressed by the breadth of your recent reading experience!
thanknyou
If you check the past Scifi threads (past three years) and Nonfiction threads you will see I have been hitting it hard on numerous subjects. specifically scifi I started with Reading Five novels from Mary Shelley, then hit the highlights of Verne, Wells, and Doyle. my plan being to read all the major points in Scifi crhonologically by publication date.... but I kind of jumped ahead while I was in the 20-40s, straight into Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein.... I am trying to empty my four book cases and condense it to one so I am jumping around a lot more...

I have also read over 75 books this year so far.

Bierschneeman

Currently reading Hyperion. I got as far as poet's tale. The book is so weird but so great.
finished childhood s end,( posting later) so I am joining you on reading Hyperion.

I was planning on reading Canterbury tales first, but I deciding joining you was more desirable.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
finished childhood s end,( posting later) so I am joining you on reading Hyperion.

I was planning on reading Canterbury tales first, but I deciding joining you was more desirable.
Nice!
I already finished Hyperion and went straight to The Fall of Hyperion, because as far as I know Simmons wrote them as one book. It was the publishers that split it. Maybe Silv knows more.
It kinda makes sense to me because Hyperion doesn't really have a conclusion.

Darth Tater

I agree with biershneeman in general. Didn’t read that particular book. But what was a masterpiece then by todays standards may not hold up so well. Like when I was trying to get my kids to watch old Christmas classics. “BORING dad”!! Watchoo talkin bout Willis? (even that’s dated)I’ve found some classic books lacking in different areas . I’m not saying they aren’t still great books, but many tend to bore me. Back then there weren’t many choices either. Those pioneers blazed new trails. Just like the model T. A classic, no doubt, but on todays fast highways? Still, wish I owned one though. Don’t get me wrong. I love some of those old classic books I’ve read for the first time over the last couple years. But probably would’ve liked more back in the day.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Nice!
I already finished Hyperion and went straight to The Fall of Hyperion, because as far as I know Simmons wrote them as one book. It was the publishers that split it. Maybe Silv knows more.
It kinda makes sense to me because Hyperion doesn't really have a conclusion.
Yes, I believe this is indeed the case; the Hyperion books are one big book basically. It's different with the Endymion books, which were written as a sequel and are distinctly different.

kenubrion

If you check the past Scifi threads (past three years) and Nonfiction threads you will see I have been hitting it hard on numerous subjects.
Heck you've kept this place going. And what you say is interesting. 75 books, eh? Halfway through the year. Wow.

Bierschneeman

finished childhood s end ~Arthur c Clarke
earlier this week.

another classic.
I can definitely see the influence of this with hundreds of fantasy and scifi sources using this particular alien physical description (including naming and costume)
I won't tell you what because that is major spoiler, the book starts off with earth invaded (peacefully) and zero face to face interaction with the invasers/colonizers.

the weird bit is how much we get the idea that much of the events are
a good thing. it seems that the spin is... oh but the benefits are better than the loss. this is a constant concept that is brought into the text. the final straw was that the extinction of humanity, is a good thing...

wow, so quiet, subtle and beautiful.just like the choice to give the aliens a visage to make you squirm, but tries to suggest it doesn't matter later they are benevolent..maybe.

the ending was so hollow. so sombre. so defeating.

so one argument I can come up with, why are they too depressed to mate and restart the human race?

but maybe we don't know if future children are also all part of overmind, or that humanity knows that the earth will be destroyed by their children so its pointless. either situation can tighten up this plothole.

9/10