It is March 2018: What Fantasy book are you reading?

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
i just finished both Guards Guards! and Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett.
reviews are found in the Great Discworld Thread in the book club section.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
i just finished both Guards Guards! and Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett.
reviews are found in the Great Discworld Thread in the book club section.
Read them, loved them!

It's March already!? Wow... I'm at about the 25% point of Memories of Ice. Enjoying it so far. I'm not that big a fan of the Mhybe (who has a lot of "airtime" in this one), but I love myself some Whiskeyjack, Dujek and above all Paran.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Started Heroes Die from the start. I'm in 10% after a week only, but boy it's getting good.
I think my concentration was off the first time, I was too busy in life and in my head and it was totally my fault for finding the book confusing. This time I can follow along with no issue.

That being said I'm already 2 books behind schedule for my GR reading challenge. :eek::eek::eek:
It's not looking good o_O
I only set myself a goal of 26 books in a year, and already failing :facepalm:

Andrew.J

I'm currently listening to The City and the City by China Mieville. I'm halfway through and it would be mediocre if not for the setting. It's worth giving it shot just for the premise. Otherwise, it's a basic detective story with bland characters. I'll see if it gets any better. It's been a slow 'read' for me.

Jakyro

That being said I'm already 2 books behind schedule for my GR reading challenge. :eek::eek::eek:
It's not looking good o_O
I only set myself a goal of 26 books in a year, and already failing :facepalm:
I’ve set a goal of 20 books and I’m already one book behind as well. My baby son is ‘stealing’ a lot of reading time from me. Currently still reading ‘the Providence of fire’, chronicles of the Unhewn Throne 2 ... the book is 737 pages and I started it almost a month ago. Just to show reading has been going slow

Zyodes

Helped Logen count his fingers
Currently on Infernal Batallion by Django Wexler. It's pretty good so far. I like it a bit less than the preceding four novels. My biggest pet peeve is that Wexler keeps mixing up the rank of one character (captain or colonel) which is very distracting in a military fantasy book.

Cyphon

Almost halfway through Kings of the Wyld and I'm meh about it, seems like I've read this trope before.
I'm a little less than halfway through myself and enjoying it quite a bit. Long way to go but pretty entertaining stuff so far.

Also finished Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary. This is book 4 and probably the best of the series going into the finale. One of the main drawbacks to this series for me is that despite it being about magical preserves and magical creatures it has never really felt all that magical. Doesn't capture the adventurous spirit I want to feel when reading something like this. Book 4 did a little better at it and so I will give it a little bump over the others.

8/10

Darth Tater

Really enjoying the Unfettered anthology. I liked Peter Brett’s writing. I remembered it was on the top 50 epic list. Ben ripped it after book 1 and forum members had great input which I forgot about) in a thread too. Maybe too dark for me anyhow. I’ll pass.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I am reading the Thin Veil series by Jodi McIsaac. I must've downloaded it when it was free or cheap on Amazon (still working on clearing my Kindle backlog, which has led to an unusual reading list so far this year). It is urban fantasy (Celtic themed) and honestly not very well-written (but far from the worst self-published writing I've come across). I think a good editor could've done wonders for the series. I don't hate it enough to abandon it but I probably wouldn't rate the first book any more than 3 stars (at most), either.

Bierschneeman

finished Men at Arms and Feet of Clay, review is found in TH GREAT DISCWORLD THREAD. (9.5 and 8.5)

I'm halfway through Jingo. and the first book in the icewind dale trilogy

(just still emptying my bookcase , almost every book ive read this year haws been me emptying my bookcase)

Jakyro

Finally finished The Providence of Fire (Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne 2). It took me almost a month to finish this, mainly because my reading time has diminished massively since the birth of my son. The book is definitely an improvement over the first book (which I rated 3 stars); better characters, better worldbuilding, more exciting story (the first book felt more as a set-up) ... A very solid read. I'll continue now with the third book

I've put myself a goal of 20 books this year, but at this pace I'm not going to manage ... I've only finished 3 books so far :eek:

Maark Abbott

Halfway through The Unholy Consult. Fucking hell. If anyone reads this and doesn't think it's one of the best books ever, they are a W E E P E R.

Alucard

Staff member
Heroes Die is an excellent book. I say that and I haven't even finished it. Heck, I'm only 40% in, but such a good story.
Kinda makes me hate humans though and what the Earth has become in this future.

Bierschneeman

Finished The Crystal Shard ~ RA Salvatore

My first Salvatore book, been sitting on my shelf for at least 15 years. only my second attempt at ready forgotten realms, my first was disastrous. (Ed Greenwood is one of the worse writers I have ever read)

Sword and sourcery, this is no where near as good as the masters of this, Moorcock, Howard, etc. But I found that I enjoyed it more than I should. sometimes its nice to turn off your brain. It reads like a Saturday morning cartoon mixed without enough D&D dialogue that you can hear the dice rolling. This is both a bonus, and a drawback.

In general the characters are pretty two dimensional, and interchangeable. This is mostly the case for Drizzt whom I sometime had to read twice to make sure I wasn't reading Cassius. The tertiary characters were pretty flushed out though (relatively). Drizz't also seems to suffer from what I call 'Dragon Ball Z syndrome' as to say he is ridiculously overpowered and has perfect stats and his own Deus Ex Machina creator, but these overpowered features have long cooldown times so he can't just spam them ad nauseum (though he does anyway).

The author trips over a lot of clichés some of which exist exclusively in playing D&D. He also tends to describe things in Game terms. I assume after readin g this that Salvatore wrote down what happened in his homke campaign and then published it.

there were a lot of things I did like. the wizard Kessel was fun to read, and the most interesting flushed out character in there. I enjoyed the barbarians and goblin army but only in a smirking way.

really its nostalgia for my years playing D&D I enjoyed it as much as I did. if this is the best author, and his best work, forgotten realms is as worthless as I thought evertime I encountered metagamers familiar with every book.

He was a good author and I understand its his first book, so let me see about how good he gets with PART 2

7/10

EDIT: ole Bob Salvatore needs a thesaurus. you can form several drinking games during a read of this. If you drink everytime it says Bloodstained you'd get sloshed before you finished.

If you drink everytime Drzzt and Brunor act like Legolas and gimli, you don't need a fourth of the book to get sloshed

Last edited:

Travis

Might as well be a Malazan regular
I'm still working my way through The Expanse, but the end is in sight (well until the next book is released). Finished Babylon's Ashes yesterday and just started Persepolis Rising. Although Babylon's Ashes had a slow start I actually enjoyed the second half of the book quite a bit. I think it could have been a really great end to the series. So far Persepolis Rising feels like kind of an unnecessary continuation but I've only just started it.

Darth Tater

For all of you Wheel Of Timers who want more there is a story in Unfettered by Brandon Sanderson that was cut out of book 14 because it opened new windows that couldn’t be closed in the final book.

Sanderson gives an introduction beforehand abd advises you not to read further into this introduction until you complete this short story. It’s good advice. For me, the story was like visiting an old friend.

ExTended

So, I've recently finished with:

1. Blackwing by Ed McDonald - well-deserved hype, solid 8.0/10 book, great world-building and plot-development. The book very strongly reminded me of Low Town by Daniel Polanski, so if you've liked the latter, you'd probably like the former as well, and probably a lot more too, since it's a more complex story.

2, Last Dragon Standing by Rachel Aaron, the fifth and last book in her Urban Fantasy series called The Heartstrikers. This series is what UF should be like. Strong and multi-layered plots, interesting characters, well-developing story thorough the series, but each book with its own very satisfying self-contained story structure. 9.0/10 Extremely well-done from start to finish, the world-building is very Rachel Aaron-ly( i.e. she seems to be fascinated about the idea of sentient magic, magical creatures like dragons, spirits of the land, spirits representing humanity's concepts/fear/dreams/emotions, etc.) It's a slightly guilty-pleasure kind of fantasy, since it has its feel good vibe to it, but that only enhances the experience from the books, so there's that. And the audiobooks are a treat! Vikas Adams is one damn good narrator and his way of representing the story makes it like twice as good, so if you are an audiobooks fan, go for it, you won't regret your decision at all. :) As far as audiobooks go, Vikan Adams' work with this series is certainly a 10/10 one.

Alucard

Staff member
1. Blackwing by Ed McDonald - well-deserved hype, solid 8.0/10 book, great world-building and plot-development. The book very strongly reminded me of Low Town by Daniel Polanski, so if you've liked the latter, you'd probably like the former as well, and probably a lot more too, since it's a more complex story.
Thanks for the rec. I absolutely loved Blackwing, can't wait for Ravencry.
I have Low Town on my to read list, but I always thought it was urban fantasy (nothing wrong with this, it's one of my favs), while Blackwing is grimdark epic.

rudyjuly2

Finished a New Spring, the prequel to a Wheel of Time. It was really nice to head back into the world and learn the origin stories of Lan and Moraine. It was slow and very descriptive in Robert Jordan’s style bit very nicely done.