It is March 2018: What Fantasy book are you reading?

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
@Cyphon
Yeah I may go with you on that. Been a while since I read it. Was that the series where book 4 was mainly a set up for book 5?
Yeah that is definitely what it felt like.

I don't know exactly where others stand on it but this has been one of my favorite series and normally when I am this into a series I can look past some things but I just thought it was a weak book. Can't see myself wanting to re-read it going through the series again at any point.

Ryan W. Mueller

Gotta disagree a little. Newest book was the worst by far. Great series though.
I didn't like the fourth as much either, but the first three are great, and I have high hopes for the last book based on the developments in the fourth.

Cyphon

I didn't like the fourth as much either, but the first three are great, and I have high hopes for the last book based on the developments in the fourth.
Pretty much my exact thoughts. I haven't given up on the 5th. I do think part of my not liking the 4th was super high expectations but even then it just didn't have the level of fun and excitement of the first 3 with the training, magic system, plot development, etc.

Derk of Derkholm

I agree, that there were some parts in the fourth book that I did not care for, but on the other side there were also some interesting develoments and some parts I really liked (can't remember which that were right now, however. Will have to re-read the series once the last is about to come out)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
About to start the 8th (and most recent) book in the Chronicles of St Mary's books by Jodi Taylor - 'And the Rest is History'.

These books have been great. I've enjoyed them a lot, and I'll miss them once I've finished. Highly recommended if anyone is looking for a light hearted series!

Cyphon

Finished up Fablehaven: Keys to the Demon Prison

Again, right in line with the rest of the series. Enjoyable enough read but nothing you wont forget about before too long. For all of the books building up just how terrible it would be should the big bad happen I thought it ultimately ended pretty easily for the good guys. Very little as far as sorrow or struggle but it is what it is.

7.5/10

I would give that same score (or maybe a 7) to the series on the whole. If you are looking for this type of series you could probably do worse but it doesn't compare favorably to your Harry Potters or Tapestry series.

Maark Abbott

Just finished Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames

Fantastic from start to finish. The characters were a blast to follow, the premise and plot were intriguing from page 1, it had monsters, madness, and mayhem and is one of the few books I have ever found laugh out loud funny. Eames found the perfect balance of emotional moments and complete foolishness and wrapped it all up into one of the best books I have read in a long time. I can't remember an occasion before this where it felt like the author had such a blast writing his own book. Not to say authors don't enjoy their work but this just felt different. If I can list one small complaint it is that Eames did take the time early on and somewhat frequently to point out just how ragtag and over the hill this bunch was only to have them blaze a path of glory through the entire book. Seemed somewhat easy for a group that was supposed to be past their prime. In the end though I could only shrug and say "who cares?" because it was just so damned fun to read.

The worst part of the experience? Now I don't feel like reading anything else because I am not sure it is going to be what I am looking for after this joyride.

10/10
Want some dour depressive slog? I can hook you up.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Was at a work conference for the past 5 days, so didn't have time to visit the board. I've got 150 pages left in Memories of Ice and I'm loving myself some GRuntle, Picker, Itkovian, Whiskeyjack, Quick Ben and Kruppe.

Reading these books I realize I forgot so much! There's so much going on, with so many layers. I really think you could just read Malazan cyclically and not get bored.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I finished Heroes Die. Suffice it to say that if you haven't read this book you really should. Perfect blend of action, fantasy, and sci-fi. 5 stars.
Now I'm reading Dead Beat and really loving it so far. I think I missed Dresden universe. It's really fun. I don't think this book fits anywhere in the reading challenge, but that's ok. I'm still having fun listening to it, and that's what matters :happy:

rudyjuly2

I finished Heroes Die. Suffice it to say that if you haven't read this book you really should. Perfect blend of action, fantasy, and sci-fi. 5 stars.
Now I'm reading Dead Beat and really loving it so far. I think I missed Dresden universe. It's really fun. I don't think this book fits anywhere in the reading challenge, but that's ok. I'm still having fun listening to it, and that's what matters :happy:
I remember reading the sample and being put off slightly by how gory it was. That’s the main reason I haven’t picked up the full book.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I remember reading the sample and being put off slightly by how gory it was. That’s the main reason I haven’t picked up the full book.
Yeah the torture scene with Lamorak in the theatre of truth was the grossest thing I've read in my life. Glokta ain't got a chance on Arkadeil. Still damn good book despite of it :yuck:

Darth Tater

The Only Begotten Daughter by William Morrow.. Amusing in parts but very tense as well. I can’t describe it without giving away the plot. This is not Good Omens. A religious satire (exposing the hypocrcies) but with much more below the surface. It’s open minded. It isn’t anti-God/Higher Power. If you are far to the right on your religious beliefs stay away. Otherwise, at least look into it. Very good Amazon reviews. If you don’t believe ME then you should trust Ben’s review and the Worlds Fantasy Awards (which is a biggie). I venture to guess this one will stick with me. It was very different from anything else I’ve read.

Surprisingly powerful. It gives you lots to think about.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I finished Memories of Ice yesterday (awesome stuff!) and made the mistake of immediately starting on House of Chains. If you don't recall: this is the book that starts Karsa's storyline. Now I'm 200 pages in, only put my book down at 2 am, and am dead on my feet today. :)

rudyjuly2

I was unsure about the magic system in the Black Prism and truth be told, I'm still not in love with it and I still don't know how Gavin turned a boat into a fast hovercraft type of thing, but I really like the characters. Kip kills me with some lines. I literally laugh out loud once in awhile.

page 430.

"Not much of a rider, huh?" The man's tone said. Must not be much of a man.
Confess your ineptitude and fall on his mercy, Kip. "What's your name, shit shoveler?" he demanded instead. Oops.

And this was just after firing a luxin ball at the Governor's head. Priceless!

Matticus Primal

I was unsure about the magic system in the Black Prism and truth be told, I'm still not in love with it and I still don't know how Gavin turned a boat into a fast hovercraft type of thing, but I really like the characters. Kip kills me with some lines. I literally laugh out loud once in awhile.
Oh thank God someone else said this. I remember reading, then re-reading that passage a few times and thinking "am I just thick for not understanding how he made a speedboat out of dropping pylons?" Same when describing the tower and how all the colors worked to do specific things. I think I would have been fine if it just said they occurred by "magic."

Darth Tater

On Lightbringer I would suggest giving book 2 a shot. After book one I was thinking “way overrated”. I’m glad I decided to push forward. IMO, it gets really good with some amazing twists!

True, book 4 is a set up for 5 which is frustrating but only because you want to find out more. If you don’t like book 2 a lot better than one I suggest you punt.

rudyjuly2

I am enjoying Lightbringer #1 and plan on continuing this series (I'm 63% done) but it's because of the characters and story. The magic system is not a positive. It's poorly explained so far. I agree with Matticus on that. I can't visualize what is happening with some things.

Cyphon

I don't remember having trouble with the magic system but I should caveat that by saying I don't always give those things the most scrutiny. I would have to go back to see if I thought it made sense or not but I imagine I was just like "cool, he is in a rainbow boat that goes fast". Or as Matticus Primal put it "magic" lol.

Still though, I did find the system interesting.

Matticus Primal

Yeah, the magic system is fairly unique in execution and what all Weeks does within it. Mind you, a lot of it is recreating modern technology through his system, but there's nothing really wrong with that. I liked the inclusion of gunpowder, but then again I'm a flintlock fantasy fan.

I don't remember if I quit after book 2 or book 3. Nothing in particular made me want to turn my back on it, but I just sort of lost interest.

Travis

Warded demons with Arlen
Well I finished Persepolis Rising this past weekend, and while I still kind of wish the series had ended with Babylon's Ashes, Persepolis Rising did turn out great in the end. I really like where the direction seems to be going with it and am very excited to see what happens in the next book. (Kind of surprised they don't have a title worked out for #8 yet though considering it's slotted for a December release :confused: )

After finishing that I immediately started Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell. About 1/4 through right now, it's definitely a fast read. So far nothing is mind blowing, and the plot hasn't seemed to really show its face yet, but the characters are fun and the "flashbacks" have been very interesting. I'm liking it.