It is March 2018: What Fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Wheel of Time question regarding Tam, Rand's father.

I had hope when I read the prequel Robert Jordan might have gone into Tam's past. It was nice to get Moraine and Lan's history but Tam wasn't touched upon. How he learned to fight and earn the Heron blade and how he learned to put himself in the Void (which surprised Lan when he found out Rand knew how to do that). I guess that's a story that never gets told unfortunately.

Bierschneeman

I had hope when I read the prequel Robert Jordan might have gone into Tam's past. It was nice to get Moraine and Lan's history but Tam wasn't touched upon. How he learned to fight and earn the Heron blade and how he learned to put himself in the Void (which surprised Lan when he found out Rand knew how to do that). I guess that's a story that never gets told unfortunately.
must resist, ....opening.... spoiler.... haven't read.......

gah...

Darth Tater

must resist, ....opening.... spoiler.... haven't read.......

gah...
I’m guessing Rudy was erring on the side of caution. It’s an interesting observation but not significant in the whole scheme of things. If you haven’t read it it will be boring and meaningless to you. So you can get a good nights sleep tonight without feeling the need to choose between what may be in the box or what’s behind the curtain. . ;) (Oh, never mind. I can think of only a couple of other old folks as ancient as me here who will catch the reference).

It was years ago that I read it but for some reason I thought it was answered in a vague sense early on? With Jordan gone we will never know. Perhaps he planned a new ten book series to cover the story? :rolleyes:

Cyphon

Just finished The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff. This is book 1 of The Tapestry series (1 of 5 books) and my third time going through but first time on audiobook. The first thing to get out of the way is the narrator who I thought did a good job with the work. Switches his voice up for different characters and isn't too whiny with his kid voices.

As this is my third time through I don't feel the need to drop a long winded review but it does work well that I just finished Fablehaven not long ago so fresh memories make it easy to compare. I have always said The Tapestry series compares favorably to other YA offerings and 1 book in it still seems to hold true. It isn't quite Harry Potter but it is more enjoyable than the Percy Jackson stuff and Fablehaven. I would also place it above Sandersons attempts at YA although I do need to revisit The Rithmatist.

In any case if you are looking for a 'school for magic' fix and don't want to re-read HP for the 100th time give this series a go.

8/10

Bierschneeman

(Oh, never mind. I can think of only a couple of other old folks as ancient as me here who will catch the reference).? :rolleyes:
in the box? is that a schrodingers cat reference 1935?
behind curtain? wizard of oz reference 1939? (or decades earlier for book)?

Darth Tater

in the box? is that a schrodingers cat reference 1935?
behind curtain? wizard of oz reference 1939? (or decades earlier for book)?
Let’s Make A Deal show with Monte Hall. It was quite entertaining. The audience was dressed in costumes and they would randomly pick people and give them a couple hundred or whatever and ask if they wanted to trade it in. Or they would win something and he would up the ante if it was good. Either the box or curtain would have something good or both would be good byt one better. Or sometimes a gigantic tricycle booby prize as opposed to an all expense paid trip to the Bahamas. Lots of variations. Sonetimes pretty girls would be there showing or riding the stuff. Hell, if the girls actually came with the booby prize I would’ve just kept it!

Maark Abbott

AURANG

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fbones24

Have been reading "The Bear and the Serpent" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. This is the second book in the "Echoes of the Fall" trilogy. Adrian Tchaikovsky has become one of my favorite authors. I love the way he always seems to integrate the natural world into his fantasy environments and characters. This is a very unique world with very interesting characters.

Bierschneeman

Sorry. Was not a big question and a very minor spoiler but I didn’t want to wreck anything for anyone. Was being cautious.
you were cautious, and I didn't look. if I did it would be my own fault. I was merely making fun of the situation I often have when faced with a SPOILER on a book I have not read.

to look or not to look?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Really enjoying Dead Beat. Harry isn't overbearingly annoying in this one. Granted, there's lots of action and Murphy went on holiday, so he doesn't get much chance to go on the stupid monologues about how he's such a chevalier. There was only one so far.
The actual plot is quite interesting, and I like Thomas & Dresden together.

GreyMouser

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Kings of the Wylde after starting it 3 days ago. What an amazing, fun book so far! The characters are among my all time favorites. Not the best book to read in public because it's had me bursting out with laughter regularly.

There is a sound track recommended on Nicholas Eames website that makes the experience even more epic in my opinion.
https://nicholaseames.com/soundtrack/ He even has the playlist on spotify.

Peat

Read Skyfarer by Joseph Brassey. Super charming, but clunkier than a clockwork whale trying to slalom ski.

Alas, they go nowhere near Illian and Tam! Tam's story would have been great, I agree. We know tiny amounts - that he was part of Illian's army and that he earned the Heron blade by beating another blademaster in act that he regretted but which needed doing - but that's it. A shame.

Dresden just necro'd T-rex and is riding it? Haha omg
Arguably the single greatest action finale in Fantasy

rudyjuly2

Finished the Black Prism. Very good book largely based on the characters and story which I loved. The magic system is interesting but not a strength. The humour, story, Kip, and all the characters and little twists made this a quick read. On to book 2!

ReguIa

Finished the Black Prism. Very good book largely based on the characters and story which I loved. The magic system is interesting but not a strength. The humour, story, Kip, and all the characters and little twists made this a quick read. On to book 2!
I liked it too, but I almost gave it 3 stars and books two & three 5 stars. The sequels are just so damn good that the first one isn't even close by comparison. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the rest.

You also timed it perfectly. The final book should come out just after summer :)

Ryan W. Mueller

Dresden just necro'd T-rex and is riding it? Haha omg
One of my favorite scenes in any book ever. It's completely ridiculous, and that's what makes it so great.

Derk of Derkholm

After having read and thoroughly enjoyed Naomi Novik's "Uprooted", I started her Temeraire series and find it also very nice - positive, fun, feel-good reading, which made it perfect for a week of holiday reading. Am now on book 5.

I also started Octavia Butler's "Parable of the Sower" (Book 1 of "Earthseed") but that is a lot harder to stomach, so I will likely get back to it after Temeraire.

Last edited: