It's 2015 - What Sci-Fi book are you reading?

jwertz19

Philosophizes with Kellhus
This may be the wrong thread for this, if so I apologize. I'm looking for a recommendation in the sci fi genre. Most of what I read is fantasy, history, Steinbeck/Hemingway , and the occasional thriller. I have always been intrigued by science fiction, but I've never really read anything other than Ender's Game. I liked Ender well enough, but I'm not in any hurry to return to that universe. I have been told that Leviathan wakes is a good one, but I'm so afraid to dive into a new genre. If you find it in your heart to enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it. Please help this sci fi noob.

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
This may be the wrong thread for this, if so I apologize. I'm looking for a recommendation in the sci fi genre. Most of what I read is fantasy, history, Steinbeck/Hemingway , and the occasional thriller. I have always been intrigued by science fiction, but I've never really read anything other than Ender's Game. I liked Ender well enough, but I'm not in any hurry to return to that universe. I have been told that Leviathan wakes is a good one, but I'm so afraid to dive into a new genre. If you find it in your heart to enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it. Please help this sci fi noob.
@jwertz19 recommending sc-fi without knowing what kind of books you're looking for can be difficult. Sci-fi is a huge genre with tons of books and numerous sub-genres. Are you looking for books which take place far into the future in space? For near-future books which take place on Earth or in the solar system? For virtual reality books Matrix-style? Charecter-driven or plot-driven? The possibilities are endless.
Even so, here are a few recommendations to get you started:

First, take a look at the sister sci-fi site, and check out the top 25 sci-fi list there: http://bestsciencefictionbooks.com/top-25-best-science-fiction-books.php
If you want my personal opinion, my favorite sci-fi book was Hyperion and its sequel, Fall of Hyperion, both by Dan Simmons.
A name which comes a lot here is Iain Banks and his culture series, starting with Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, etc. (only read the first one but liked it enough to carry on with the series later on)
If you're looking to read sci-fi classics, I'd recommend the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.
If it's virtual reality with tons of action, try Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
If you're looking for sci-fi which resembles fantasy in its style, try Dune by Frank Herbert. Another sci-fi series which is very close to fantasy in style and was written by a mainly fantasy author is Otherland by Tad Williams.
Here are a few good sci-fi books from the recent years: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, Red Rising by Pierce Brown, and The Martian by Andy Weir.
I'm sure you'll get more recommendation shortly from other members here.

As for Leviathan Wakes, I didn't read it myself but I know that one or more members here did, so I'm sure you'll get a response for this as well.

Griffin

I have been told that Leviathan wakes is a good one
As for Leviathan Wakes, I didn't read it myself but I know that one or more members here did, so I'm sure you'll get a response for this as well.
Leviathan Wakes is a great book. Solid charactes and good plot. The Syfy channel is even making these books (LW and the sequels) into a tv series.

If you have cold feet I'd really recommend you to read Red Rising by Pierce Brown as @ofer mentioned above. It's scifi with an edge of fantasy and most of the people here on the board (neglecting some) thought it a good/great/one of the best books published that year (2013?).

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
@jwertz19 recommending sc-fi without knowing what kind of books you're looking for can be difficult. Sci-fi is a huge genre with tons of books and numerous sub-genres. Are you looking for books which take place far into the future in space? For near-future books which take place on Earth or in the solar system? For virtual reality books Matrix-style? Charecter-driven or plot-driven? The possibilities are endless.
Even so, here are a few recommendations to get you started:

First, take a look at the sister sci-fi site, and check out the top 25 sci-fi list there: http://bestsciencefictionbooks.com/top-25-best-science-fiction-books.php
If you want my personal opinion, my favorite sci-fi book was Hyperion and its sequel, Fall of Hyperion, both by Dan Simmons.
A name which comes a lot here is Iain Banks and his culture series, starting with Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, etc. (only read the first one but liked it enough to carry on with the series later on)
If you're looking to read sci-fi classics, I'd recommend the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.
If it's virtual reality with tons of action, try Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
If you're looking for sci-fi which resembles fantasy in its style, try Dune by Frank Herbert. Another sci-fi series which is very close to fantasy in style and was written by a mainly fantasy author is Otherland by Tad Williams.
Here are a few good sci-fi books from the recent years: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, Red Rising by Pierce Brown, and The Martian by Andy Weir.
I'm sure you'll get more recommendation shortly from other members here.

Just have to say, brilliant post.

Ser Pounce

If you have cold feet I'd really recommend you to read Red Rising by Pierce Brown as @ofer mentioned above. It's scifi with an edge of fantasy and most of the people here on the board (neglecting some) thought it a good/great/one of the best books published that year (2013?).
2014. I would also recommend Red Rising for someone looking to jump into the Sci-Fi pool, such as myself. I'm about 130 pages into the sequel Golden Son and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's been at a pretty brisk pace and it's living up to it's predecessor so far.

Agreed with @Alucard , great post @ofer. I have The Martian and Ready Player One already purchased on kindle due to the great deals lately and look forward to reading them sometime this year. I also appreciate some of the older recommendations and will keep them in mind as well.

jwertz19

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm currently reading The Martian and loving every minute. I've had Ready Player One in my amazon cart for a couple weeks, sounds like I need to pull the trigger. Thanks again.

kenubrion

Leviathan Wakes is a great book. Solid charactes and good plot. The Syfy channel is even making these books (LW and the sequels) into a tv series.

I think Leviathin Wakes is better than all the sequels, which are themselves all brilliant.

jwertz19

Just ordered Ready Player One, Leviathan Wakes, and Hyperion from Amazon. My foray into the science fiction genre begins in 5-8 business days! My wife may punch me in the face, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Griffin

I think Leviathin Wakes is better than all the sequels, which are themselves all brilliant.
I agree Leviathan Wakes is the most solid of the bunch indeed (and most self-contained), but Caliban's War and Abaddon's Gate are indeed quite good as well. Didn't really care for Cibola Burn though, of all the things they could have done... Nonetheless, the scope of the books expanded expotentially at the end of book 3 so this series can still go a large variety of directions so I'm very curious how the series will develop in the future.

Griffin

While I'm here, I'm almost through Golden Son and it has been awesome. Great pace, great story, strong prose. It reads so easily, even more than Firefight, which I read in like 2 days or something, so that is saying something for me. Thus far it is as good as Red Rising which I thought was one of the best books of 2014.

Nikos4

Told lies with Locke
I'm one third in on Old Man's War, and I'm really enjoying it so far.

EDIT: I mean one third in on the first book, not the entire series, not sure if it was clear enough in the original post.

Last edited:

Griffin

All the books in the Old Man's War universe are great, though Zoe's Tale and The Human Division are a different take on things, you'll see it when you get there.

fbones24

I'll throw in "The Gap Cycle" as a Sci Fi series that blew me away. The first book in the series, "The Real Story" is on the par with Hyperion in my opinion. It is a dark, brutal story but it is incredible.

kenubrion

While I'm here, I'm almost through Golden Son and it has been awesome. Great pace, great story, strong prose. It reads so easily, even more than Firefight, which I read in like 2 days or something, so that is saying something for me. Thus far it is as good as Red Rising which I thought was one of the best books of 2014.
I agree, Griffin. Reading Golden Sun is like running downhill, it just gets faster and faster.

Griffin

Reading Golden Sun is like running downhill, it just gets faster and faster.
And at the end you smack against the wall. That's how I feel after wrapping the book up this afternoon. It has been one great rollercoaster. I'm amazed at the character depth of it all, along with the high paced plot. Immediately the first five star-rated book of the year (Goodreads rating system).

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
And at the end you smack against the wall. That's how I feel after wrapping the book up this afternoon. It has been one great rollercoaster. I'm amazed at the character depth of it all, along with the high paced plot. Immediately the first five star-rated book of the year (Goodreads rating system).
Do you think someone who wasn't a big fan of the first book would like the second one more?

Griffin

Do you think someone who wasn't a big fan of the first book would like the second one more?
Depends on what you didn't like about the first book, but I can say one thing: the 'Hunger Games'-part of it is gone and character development is up as well, in a really strong way in my opinion.