It's 2015 - What Sci-Fi book are you reading?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Do you think someone who wasn't a big fan of the first book would like the second one more?
I actually thought the first and second ones were quite similar. What was in castles in book 1 has been moved to spaceships in book 2. Including a disproportionate number of Darrow's "classmates" as central characters. (That being said, I liked them both.)

jwertz19

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Finished The Martian... it sucked.

Just kidding, I loved it. Best book I've read this year. Mark Watney has become one of my favorite characters in books, movies, etc. I will be reading this one again.

fbones24

Journeyed there and back again
I have to disagree on the Red Rising/Golden Son conversation. I loved Red Rising. It may be in my top three favorite books ever. I loved Golden Son too but in my opinion, it can't compare to Red Rising. His writing becomes almost campy at times in Golden Son and is not as sharp as it was in Red Rising. Characters that I grew to love in Red Rising seem to have changed in Golden Son. Sevro changes the most. Golden Son is not as dark and gritty as Red Rising and that darkness is sometimes replaced with odd humor from characters that were previously so bad ass?

I loved them both but I do think they are two completely different books with different themes and different writing styles. Someone not fond of Red Rising might actually enjoy Golden Son more and vice versa.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
Not me, @kenubrion. If I'm enjoying a book, I have to read it through. I will most likely not put it aside and start a different one that has the potential to be less enjoyable. If you put a book into your vault, then start another one that you equally enjoy, so you put that into your vault, start another one...ad infinitum.

Started reading again and polished off "Musashi". I'm going back to the two books I've had on hold for a while now, "Singularity Sky" by Charles Stross and "Eisenhorn" by Dan Abnett. Will start chapter 4 of "Singularity Sky" today.
I've had Eisenhorn on my shelf for quite a while, and have repeatedly heard that it's one of the very best Warhammer 40k books. What are your thoughts on it so far?

Boreas

Staff member
I've had Eisenhorn on my shelf for quite a while, and have repeatedly heard that it's one of the very best Warhammer 40k books. What are your thoughts on it so far?
I haven't gone back to it so far, but not because it was bad. I got to the end of chapter 3 (or 4?) and gave up reading for a while (reading mood was down). I'll be picking it up soon enough and I think I'll probably end up enjoying it. I can't really say much since I was just in the beginning, but it started off immediately with action (a hunt for a criminal), had this very dark, Gothic feel to it, and was interesting enough. I was recommended "Eisenhorn" by 3 people, all three read both SF&F, but one is most definitely geared towards fantasy, the other is a total SF geek, and the third is about half/half, but still more sci fi. All of them really liked it. The fantasy guy recommended "Eisenhorn" (specifically, the omnibus because of the inclusion of some short stories) as the perfect entry point into the W40K universe, which he's quite into.

Boreas

Staff member
Also, does somebody want to start a new thread along the lines of 'science fiction recs for the uninitiated' or 'neophytes'? Would be a good idea to collect suggestions of those books that people think would be good examples to enter the genre. Like a beginner's guide.

jwertz19

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Also, does somebody want to start a new thread along the lines of 'science fiction recs for the uninitiated' or 'neophytes'? Would be a good idea to collect suggestions of those books that people think would be good examples to enter the genre. Like a beginner's guide.
Excellent idea. A list of titles with maybe a sentence or two describing the book would help folks like me who are new to the genre.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
About to start with Ready Player One .. really looking forward to this one .. it better live up to the hype, guys! :)

kenubrion

Good idea. The very least we can do for them is warn them not to read Dune first if they're a true neophyte. But that's just me:)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hhmmm, about half way through with Ready Player One now, and I'm not as bowled over with it as I was hoping I would be (despite a great start to the book!). Will update when I finish it in a few days (probably).

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Ready Player One. Enjoyed it in the end, sits firmly in my 'good' category, would give it 7.5/10. Didn't think the writing style was great, something about it was just a bit 'simplistic', and I can't say the characters will stick in my memory for a long time. But I did love all the 80s reference, and the story was good.

Onto the next book ...

Khartun

Finished Ready Player One. Enjoyed it in the end, sits firmly in my 'good' category, would give it 7.5/10. Didn't think the writing style was great, something about it was just a bit 'simplistic', and I can't say the characters will stick in my memory for a long time. But I did love all the 80s reference, and the story was good.

Onto the next book ...
I thoroughly enjoyed that book. Probably because I was a teenager in that era and knew about pretty much everything referenced in the book. That's why I have not recommended it to a friend of mine who is much younger. I didn't know how it would hold up to someone not from that time.

Boreas

Staff member
I thoroughly enjoyed that book. Probably because I was a teenager in that era and knew about pretty much everything referenced in the book. That's why I have not recommended it to a friend of mine who is much younger. I didn't know how it would hold up to someone not from that time.
Me, too. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Never a moment's boredom for me. I recommended it to someone born in 1990/1991 and she loved it, so I don't think it matters much if you get all the 80s references (there were loads I didn't get, and an equal number that were just teetering on the edge of familiarity).

Boreas

Staff member
Finished "Singularity Sky" by Charles Stross last night.

The most interesting take on time travel that I've read and also the most confusing to understand (for me). I addled my brain a little with the time-causal explorations that would be a consequence of relativity (looking at closed, time-like loops...yeah, it's weird), especially those bits where I tried to imagine 2D light cones as 3D spheres with respect to time (the past light cones as spheres did me in - I somehow managed to visualise the future bits). Also strange was a look at the effects of a singularity on a hopelessly, self-consciously outmoded authoritarian society (modeled on a 19th century, east European mindset). The chaos was expected, but some of the forms it took in this novel was bizarre. I thought he did a pretty decent job of presenting his political philosophy without the 'telling' of it until almost towards the end, where he used an ignorant and irritating character as an excuse to dive into a version of a Socratic dialogue (a short one, thankfully). That was disappointing - he was doing so well until then, and I felt the whole section was unwarranted. Overall, very interesting and I'll likely be trying out more Stross.

kenubrion

Started Ancillary Justice a couple days ago, finding it hard to put down. And follow to a certain extent. I hope all those awards it won are for the story and not just for the social justice aspect that these awards look for these days. Red Rising will do as well because it's social justice themes are strong yet still take a back seat to the plot.