It's 2018!! January 2018. What fantasy books are you reading?

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
I decided to stop reading Fifth Ward because, honestly, there's really not a lot of good elements in the book. The fantasy elements are very underdone - the police procedural part of it lacked substance - world building was very much "Hint and Hope" - characters pretty basic - and the Tone/Voice, eesh.

Early vote for my wrong 'un of the year.
I bought this one a couple of weeks ago because 1. It was on sale, and 2. The blurb reminded me of Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett. No idea when I'll get to it, though, as I own around 50 unread books on my last count.

Anyway, currently reading Earthquake Weather by Tim Powers. It's ok, but nowhere near as good as the previous books in the Fault Lines series (Last Call and Expiration Date).

Bierschneeman

finished Dragonflight~ Anne McCaffery

my wife told me to read this one after I asked her for a female protagonist, written by a female author.
it's pretty good I can see a lot of parodies I missed, based on this (like the wyrmberg bit in light fantastic) so i unfortunately come form a bit of parody spoiler like watching spaceballs before star wars.

but it wasn't much effected.

someone once said on this forum that requirements to like elric saga were be ateenage male . I agreed that's an apt comparison as much as teenage female is to this book. but neither require these features they are both comparably good, just designed more for these demographics.
I enjoy both thoroughly.

there is only one small bit that annoyed me. Lessa tells them all the baby lives and is male. then says she lied it is dead. then later as if the conversation didn't happen she is asked the welfare of the baby. it lives.

slight error.

first Hugo and Nebula winner, first female author for both. mostly referred to as sci fi but still sometimes fantasy.

can it count as both?
8/10

Peat

I am delighted to hear of other people enjoying Pern. The first X books in were awesome fun as a kid and still fun now. The more sci-fi it got the less I liked it though.

I am less delighted to hear that ofer fell into the same trap as I did with Fifth Ward - hopefully he gets more from it than I did.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
It turns out what my fantasy reading life needed was a sticky beak at Jon Snow’s bookshelf. I read The Last Policeman and really enjoyed it!

I’m now reading Traitors Blade by Sebastien De Castell (this time literally taken from Jon’s hands as he exited the bookstore; there was only one copy). I’m really enjoying this. It’s very amusing and I’m looking like a loon laughing aloud in the cafe. The comparison to Abercrombie is apt.

Happy 2018 everyone!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I’m now reading Traitors Blade by Sebastien De Castell (this time literally taken from Jon’s hands as he exited the bookstore; there was only one copy). I’m really enjoying this. It’s very amusing and I’m looking like a loon laughing aloud in the cafe. The comparison to Abercrombie is apt.
I read this series last year. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think if you like the first book, the next three will also be to your taste.

Bill Door

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
I'm reading Tad Williams, The Heart of What Was Lost. I have to say that Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn was pretty much just as great as I remember it to be. I think the aspect I was most impressed by was all the great characters. It's got one of the greatest and most varied cast of characters of any series I've read. I was really disappointed by Shadowmarch when I read it in 2016 and that right there is what it lacked. I thought almost every character in Shadowmarch was either unlikable, uninteresting, or both. I will say that there are parts that get long-winded...you can only read so much about characters lost in caverns or forest or what not before it starts to grate.

I think the next series I'll reread (and finish as I stopped at book 10) is Wheel of Time. I think I read that even BEFORE M,S,&T so it's been so long I'd have to reread that to finish it. I remember I stopped at Crossroads of Twilight because...frankly...because it was terrible and I knew there were still many to come. I read about 200 pages and nothing of interest had happened and I just couldn't take it anymore. Seeing when Knife of Dreams was released this was probably 2004 as I don't think it was released yet when I was reading the novels.

Last edited:

Cyphon

Forums seem to keep getting more and more quiet. Where is all of the fantasy discussion?

I just finished A Shadow of What was Lost by James Islington.

I can't remember the person on here who had mentioned this book but I picked it up and don't regret it at all. There were times in the book where it seemed like there were too many mysteries this early in a series and in some ways it distracted from the ongoings because you couldn't help but think of all of the questions you had that weren't answered but in the end enough were to feel satisfied by the conclusion. There were multiple POV's and all provided interesting plots with no annoying characters to detract from the overall entertainment. Speaking of the plot, the twists in it were interesting and well done and it was good to be surprised because some of the last few books I have read haven't really been able to do that because I have read so many.

The magic system was nothing to wow you and could have been better explained and explored more but ultimately didn't feel broken or anything. I know there is some mention of comparisons to Wheel of Time and while I think that is reaching a bit, there is a similar sense to it at least as far as the bad guys go. Anyway, very good book and am looking forward to the next. Hopefully it isn't long before the final book in the trilogy is released.

9/10

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Still reading Blood and Bone by Esslemont, but I just wanted to give an update here. I'm about halfway through now and holy cow, this book rules. For me it is easily the best book so far by Esslemont. The gloomy, brooding jungle atmosphere really works for me. World-building is phenomenal on this one. I think it's because Erikson never visited this location. It feels wholly original to ICE. Same as with Stonewielder really. I know the world was co-created by both authors, but this is the first time I really feel ICE brings his full create mind to the table. Good stuff!

rudyjuly2

I think the next series I'll reread (and finish as I stopped at book 10) is Wheel of Time. I think I read that even BEFORE M,S,&T so it's been so long I'd have to reread that to finish it. I remember I stopped at Crossroads of Twilight because...frankly...because it was terrible and I knew there were still many to come. I read about 200 pages and nothing of interest had happened and I just couldn't take it anymore. Seeing when Knife of Dreams was released this was probably 2004 as I don't think it was released yet when I was reading the novels.
Well books 8-10 were the worst in the series imo but book 11 is a good book and Jordan's last one. The last 4 books are all good to great quality imo. Good luck finishing it and I hope you enjoy the conclusion.

Bierschneeman

Forums seem to keep getting more and more quiet. Where is all of the 0
when I was tryng to count my books read from last year I noticed slow months and active months with a wide range of number of pages.

we're also only a week in and we are more spread out across the forums than we normally are.
I know I am always most active in Jan and often inactive around april-july

Alice Sabo

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
finished Dragonflight~ Anne McCaffery

my wife told me to read this one after I asked her for a female protagonist, written by a female author.
it's pretty good I can see a lot of parodies I missed, based on this (like the wyrmberg bit in light fantastic) so i unfortunately come form a bit of parody spoiler like watching spaceballs before star wars.

but it wasn't much effected.

someone once said on this forum that requirements to like elric saga were be ateenage male . I agreed that's an apt comparison as much as teenage female is to this book. but neither require these features they are both comparably good, just designed more for these demographics.
I enjoy both thoroughly.

there is only one small bit that annoyed me. Lessa tells them all the baby lives and is male. then says she lied it is dead. then later as if the conversation didn't happen she is asked the welfare of the baby. it lives.

slight error.

first Hugo and Nebula winner, first female author for both. mostly referred to as sci fi but still sometimes fantasy.

can it count as both?
8/10
I was about to disagree with you, but decided to read it again first. If you had asked me, I would have said that the later books were that way, not the earlier ones. I was kind of surprised by the romancy bits. I didn't remember them at all. Loved the series when I read it way back when. Maybe 6-7 of the books. But the later ones began feeling formulaic and teen-angsty. Perhaps I grew out of them. Having reread the first book, not sure I will reread more of the series.

Peat

I'm currently in between books and trying to work out what to read next. Lot of kindle samples. Picking away at The Worm Ouroboros - very admirable, not very readable.

Darwin

I'm reading The Seven by Peter Newman and listening to Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick. Will move on to Otherland next.

I'm a little surprised at the discontent with Oathbringer. I loved it. Shallan is awful in all the ways she was before and in new ones, but I was expecting it and unexpectedly appreciated her in a couple of moments when she stopped being so...Shallan. There were several scenes that were just flat out awesome.

Cyphon

I'm reading The Seven by Peter Newman and listening to Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick. Will move on to Otherland next.

I'm a little surprised at the discontent with Oathbringer. I loved it. Shallan is awful in all the ways she was before and in new ones, but I was expecting it and unexpectedly appreciated her in a couple of moments when she stopped being so...Shallan. There were several scenes that were just flat out awesome.
I remember enjoying this and the 2nd book but unfortunately there will be no third in any foreseeable future. How are you liking it?

Darwin

I'm only on chapter 2, but it's interesting so far. Not thrilled with the narrator, but I've felt that way before for other audiobooks and sometimes changed my mind by the end.

Bierschneeman

I was about to disagree with you, but decided to read it again first. If you had asked me, I would have said that the later books were that way, not the earlier ones. I was kind of surprised by the romancy bits. I didn't remember them at all. Loved the series when I read it way back when. Maybe 6-7 of the books. But the later ones began feeling formulaic and teen-angsty. Perhaps I grew out of them. Having reread the first book, not sure I will reread more of the series.
I'm glad you agree/disagree , does it really matter since we are conversing a book we both really enjoyed.

I asked my wife about early works and late, she splits pern into two segments as you have but picks a different point. Anne McCaffery works as early, Tobias (sp) McCaffery as later. I might not like Tobias, but he turns it closer to hard sci fi. (she says).you read the Tobias stuff?

Bierschneeman

just finished the conference of the birds~ Farid Ud-Din Attar

debated posting this here or in nonfiction fiction, decided with talking birds and a fantasy like quest the likes of which I would compare to king Arthur and his questing knights. It seems more fantasy.

from 1177AD Persia. this epic poem is about a world summit if all the birds who are looking for a king to rule them. the oldest and wisest of them, Hoopoe whom flew about on the fourth day of creation suggests a bird older and wiser then himself Simorgh. it then goes through the search and preparation.

it's a massive allogorical poem as Hoopoe represents a muslim prophet and Simorgh either passage to heaven, god, or THE prophet. (which seems ambiguous which he represents)

in general I enjoyed it .

6/10

Alice Sabo

I'm glad you agree/disagree , does it really matter since we are conversing a book we both really enjoyed.

I asked my wife about early works and late, she splits pern into two segments as you have but picks a different point. Anne McCaffery works as early, Tobias (sp) McCaffery as later. I might not like Tobias, but he turns it closer to hard sci fi. (she says).you read the Tobias stuff?
I haven't read any of those - I think it's Todd - and I saw that the latest book has another name, maybe a granddaughter. I have so much on my TBR list that I don't have time for stuff that I don't fall in love with. As you mentioned in your first post about the demographic being teenage girls - maybe I grew out of it.

Peat

For my money, Anne McCaffrey's early Perns read pretty much as straight fantasy to me (at least, back when I read them as a fantasy only teenager), her later Perns read as a blend. I also feel the criticism of being cliched teen melodrama rings truer for the later ones. For me Dragondrums is her last good fantasy. Haven't touched the Todd McCaffreys.

Anne is fairly adamant its sci-fi all the way through though.

Alice Sabo

I suppose she's claiming sci-fi because the humans on Pern crash landed there and bred the fire lizards up to be dragons. I think that's really an overlap because science doesn't push the plot - dragons do. And relationships. If you go with the old saw - a rocket ship on the cover means scifi and a tree on the cover means fantasy - she has dragons on the cover. I'd call that fantasy.