It's 2018!! January 2018. What fantasy books are you reading?

Peat

Journeyed there and back again
Read The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids

Still processing what I think - it was a book that did a lot of things very well for my taste but also jarred in a lot of ways too. But in general I'd recommend it.

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Just finish the Slow Regard of Silent Things. My biggest complaint is that it ended too soon. I love that world and didn't want to leave. And I thought his comments at the end about how this story was totally wrong were hilarious. It makes me want to reread the other two books, but I might wait until #3 is coming out.

He said he thinks that the story works because people relate to the broken-ness of Auri. I agree, but I think it's also because she is a survivor. Despite the vaguely hinted at things that drove her Underneath, she survives in a way that still holds hope and purpose. And you never know if her understanding of the world is arcane or psychotic, which either way is fascinating and makes me want to know more.

Cyphon

Just finish the Slow Regard of Silent Things. My biggest complaint is that it ended too soon. I love that world and didn't want to leave. And I thought his comments at the end about how this story was totally wrong were hilarious. It makes me want to reread the other two books, but I might wait until #3 is coming out.

He said he thinks that the story works because people relate to the broken-ness of Auri. I agree, but I think it's also because she is a survivor. Despite the vaguely hinted at things that drove her Underneath, she survives in a way that still holds hope and purpose. And you never know if her understanding of the world is arcane or psychotic, which either way is fascinating and makes me want to know more.
This book gets a lot of hate but I enjoy reading the quirkiness of Auri. Can't think of many or any characters written quite like her.

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Same here. I am fascinated with Auri as a character - she is a walking complexity and that makes her more real-like than many a fellow has-it-all-figured-out protagonists.

On a side note - I've finished with Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft. Now I understand why all the fuss about this book is about - it's a treasure trough and trough. A steampunky, quirky, yet very grounded magnificence of a book. And the main character is a teacher. The way in which he subtly evolves during his misadventures, in order to battle the world around him that have stopped to make sense, is both sad and inescapable, and makes for a very down to Earth story, but from the viewpoint of a hilariously prudish and self-aware character, who not unlike a caterpillar, has some heavy lifting waiting for his pleasure, if he ever wants to have the promised butterfly happy-ending which he kind of took for granted, before the call-to-action plot have presented him with an alternative instead.

9/10 book when it comes to over-all quality and execution, but 10/10 for quirkines and world-building and tone. It's a book with a soul, if that makes sense.

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
On a side note - I've finished with Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft. Now I understand why all the fuss about this book is about - it's a treasure trough and trough. A steampunky, quirky, yet very grounded magnificence of a book. And the main character is a teacher. The way in which he subtly evolves during his misadventures, in order to battle the world around him that have stopped to make sense, is both sad and inescapable, and makes for a very down to Earth story, but from the viewpoint of a hilariously prudish and self-aware character, who not unlike a caterpillar, has some heavy lifting waiting for his pleasure, if he ever wants to have the promised butterfly happy-ending which he kind of took for granted, before the call-to-action plot have presented him with an alternative instead.

9/10 book when it comes to over-all quality and execution, but 10/10 for quirkines and world-building and tone. It's a book with a soul, if that makes sense.
Sounds good. I'll have to check it out.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm having so much fun with Gardens of the Moon!

@TomTB : I love it way better than when I last read it some years ago. I remember giving you a lot of grief back then because of it, but I stand corrected.

What makes me enjoy it more this time around is that I am now a Malazan veteran. I've read the main series and the Malazan Empire books by ICE. When first I read GotM I was kinda swamped by the new stuff. You're dumped right in the middle of Warrens, the Fatid, Gods, peoples, locations etc.

Now that I know all of those already it makes for a way more satisfying and comprehensive reading experience!

rudyjuly2

I'm taking forever to read Oathbringer. Busy life and a less than gripping adventure means I've only read half the book in over a month. Part of it feels like the Wheel of Time - too much political stuff getting in the way of a good story. The story also feels a bit YA which is why I like the Dalinar flashbacks which are grittier. Hopefully it picks up.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm having so much fun with Gardens of the Moon!

@TomTB : I love it way better than when I last read it some years ago. I remember giving you a lot of grief back then because of it, but I stand corrected.

What makes me enjoy it more this time around is that I am now a Malazan veteran. I've read the main series and the Malazan Empire books by ICE. When first I read GotM I was kinda swamped by the new stuff. You're dumped right in the middle of Warrens, the Fatid, Gods, peoples, locations etc.

Now that I know all of those already it makes for a way more satisfying and comprehensive reading experience!
Apology accepted.:cigar:

Darth Tater

Apology accepted.:cigar:
That’s what Darth Vader always says and it never ever turns out well for the person it is directed toward.

Plan to begin The Bear And The
Nightingale tonight or tomorrow. I love adult fairy tales and I think this is one. I will read it as a standalone unless I get the others on a $3 deal like this one. I’m sorry but spending $13.99 on books under 400 pages is not something I generally do.

Ryan W. Mueller

I'm taking forever to read Oathbringer. Busy life and a less than gripping adventure means I've only read half the book in over a month. Part of it feels like the Wheel of Time - too much political stuff getting in the way of a good story. The story also feels a bit YA which is why I like the Dalinar flashbacks which are grittier. Hopefully it picks up.
I felt Oathbringer had a slower start than Words of Radiance (not quite as slow as The Way of Kings, though). In the end, though, I really enjoyed the book.

Darth Tater

I'm taking forever to read Oathbringer. Busy life and a less than gripping adventure means I've only read half the book in over a month. Part of it feels like the Wheel of Time - too much political stuff getting in the way of a good story. The story also feels a bit YA , which is why I like the Dalinar flashbacks which are grittier. Hopefully it picks up.
I don’t remember much action until the last 100-150 pages. :( It does clear up a lot of things in the big picture but doesn’t move at a great pace.

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
That's my biggest issue with his Stormlight Archives series to be honest. Not a single book from the three so far has been well-paced in regards to interesting things happening thorough all of the book. For instance in Oathbringer the ending, at least for me, felt a bit contrived. Too many things happened, too many revelations, too many OP characters and hidden aces made an appearance and it was just one big "Reveal, action, reveal, action, reveal" sequence, which felt rather heavy-handed, considering how the rest of the book was almost with the pace of a generic travel-plot fantasy. Life is simple, untill you need to have your plot twists done, then it becomes rather fast and over-whelming. :)

In the meantime - I've tried to start with Raymond E. Feist's Kingdom Besieged book, the completionist in me wants to put an end to Pug's story, but I DNFed it after half an hour. I've also tried with the first book in the Moontide Quarted series by David Hair, but it's rather dull in the beginning, too expositionful( patent pending), so I kind of feel like DNF-ing that one too. Anyone who has some experience with this author/series?

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
I've also tried with the first book in the Moontide Quarted series by David Hair, but it's rather dull in the beginning, too expositionful( patent pending), so I kind of feel like DNF-ing that one too. Anyone who has some experience with this author/series?
Meh, I’ve DNF’d Mage’s Blood last year, although I was kind of liking it – even if it was indeed a bit dull and too much “coming of agey” – before hitting a major reading slump. Then again, I’ve never considered picking it up again, and before your post I’ve completely forgotten about it.

Still going through Tucker’s The Siege of Abythos, the first half was quite the slog, too much of a set-up after the bombastic finale of the 2nd installment, now thankfully the pace is picking up again.

Khartun

Meh, I’ve DNF’d Mage’s Blood last year, although I was kind of liking it – even if it was indeed a bit dull and too much “coming of agey” – before hitting a major reading slump. Then again, I’ve never considered picking it up again, and before your post I’ve completely forgotten about it.

Still going through Tucker’s The Siege of Abythos, the first half was quite the slog, too much of a set-up after the bombastic finale of the 2nd installment, now thankfully the pace is picking up again.
Currently reading The Black Shriving. Glad to hear it has a great ending.

Cyphon

Just finished up Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star

It improved upon the first by adding in some new, more interesting characters as well as expanding on the magic and potential of it. Plot was more interesting and it had a nice little plot twist to end things.

7.5/10

Maark Abbott

I don’t remember much action until the last 100-150 pages. :( It does clear up a lot of things in the big picture but doesn’t move at a great pace.
That seems par for the course. Nothing for 900 pages then a binge of crazy stuff, then nothing again. Get out while you still can!

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Finishing Assassin's Fate. Will read Oathbringer next. Then hopefully some 2018 books.

p.s. yes I have returned!

Darth Tater

Wow! This is the biggest comeback since the return of .. erm .. Jon Snow.
I beg to differcwith you, Sir Thomas.. IMO, when the bloody Patriots scored a bazillion points when behind in the 4th quarter of last years Super Bowl to beat Atlant trumps this.

But I believe you’re in England (?) and you may not have been aware of this. Besides, you guys *and the rest of the world* call soccer football. **Which makes total sense since “football is a retarded name for our sport. And in”soccer”-everyone elses “football” you actually use your feet to control the ball. A couple of players only touch the ball with their feet a few times each game for punts, kickoffs, and field goals.But don’t admit that to Tom and bluff like the U.S.has the right of it-after all, it’s the Anerican way**

But Snow returning now (as always in January here at least-so no surprise comeback this time of year) can be the 2nd biggest comeback if you like...

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I have you beat, I haven't picked it up since sometime last year. It is still sitting on the table, mocking me.