It's April 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm still struggling through The Lions of Al-Rassan. I don't particularly care for any of the characters to be honest. Also, this is more of an alternative history, rather than a fantasy as such. I don't know, it's just not what I had expected. I like it just as much as A Song for Arbonne, which is unfortunate, because I almost did not finish that book. Maybe Tigana spoiled me a bit on the GGK books. Is Tigana the best one by far? Or am I just missing something? If this continues on like this The Lions of al-Rassan will be my first DNF in a long, long time.

Peat

Journeyed there and back again
I'm still struggling through The Lions of Al-Rassan. I don't particularly care for any of the characters to be honest. Also, this is more of an alternative history, rather than a fantasy as such. I don't know, it's just not what I had expected. I like it just as much as A Song for Arbonne, which is unfortunate, because I almost did not finish that book. Maybe Tigana spoiled me a bit on the GGK books. Is Tigana the best one by far? Or am I just missing something? If this continues on like this The Lions of al-Rassan will be my first DNF in a long, long time.
Tigana is his masterpiece imo, but Lions of Al-Rassan came very close behind for me... although I must admit to running out of patience and skim-reading the last 100 pages (but still enjoyed it as a whole).

The vast majority of GGK's books contain very faint fantastic elements though.

rudyjuly2

I liked Lions. I think it may be the only book of GGK I have read though. One of my complaints was that I thought it was a bit rushed at the end. I think this could have been a trilogy and I don’t remember much magic (it’s been awhile for me).

I often wonder how much different I would feel about certain books if read them at a different time (like now instead of 5 years ago). I rarely re-read books so I’m never sure lol.

ExTended

I often wonder how much different I would feel about certain books if read them at a different time (like now instead of 5 years ago). I rarely re-read books so I’m never sure lol.
Try re-reading stuff after a dozen years. I swear - Malazan 1 felt like a totally new book to me( I've read the first 1.5 books 12 years ago).

I am almost tempted to go through Raymond E. Feist's initial series as well, since it was the one I've read before Malazan back then and I've gotten to a spot where I'd only have the most general of ideas about what the plot was like... with maybe 1-2 major events from each book. It's a strange thing that you could literally forget 400k words like that, but in my defense I've probably read 300-400 other fantasy books since then, so I'm bound to muddle thing a bit.

The funny thing is I've never had this problem when I was reading 5-10 books per year. But now with 50-100, the book has to be really, really good to be kept in my memory for more than 4-5 years( in a I know what happens next kind of way).

On another note - I've finished with Lightbringer 2 and 3 re-read. Solid stuff!

I've also been reading The Hod King by Josiah Bancroft - I've liked this one better than the 2nd Babel book. But it was still a filler book, not as good as the 1st one, and I was ready for this series to end, but Josiah wasn't up to it. I really hope that book 4 will clench it. I like the tone of the series a lot, the setting too, but at this point he needs to start delivering on resolutions as well. I'd be sad when the series finishes, but also happy, since this story feels like a good 3--4 books story to me and we're already 3 books in, so it's time to call it quits, although I suspect that there will be at least 2 more Babel books to come, judging from the growing number of potential POVs for the next book/books. 8/10 for The Hod King - if you'd like to read about a Breaking Bad season 1 equivalent of a story told from a high school teacher's POV while he has lost his wife in a endless tower full of decadence and ruthless industrial/art/Victorian people + steampunk + a baffled but smart-ish English professor tone of voice/humor, definitely give this one a go, the humor is top notch.

I'm also warming to Minimum Wage Magic by Rachel Aaron. I've had to replace Malazan 3 with it for my main reading experience since my speakers broke and the new ones I've bought were a bad bet, so I'm listening so something here I don't mind the inferior audiobook experience... and it's better than I initially expected. Nothing groundbreaking, but an entertaining palate cleansing urban fantasy for both sexes kind of story. It's about a young woman who cleans vacanted properties in a lawless kind of magical city for profit. I like it better than Rivers of London, because the plot is tighter and I don't enjoy the detective/police elements of those kind of stories anyway, so it's thee best of both worlds for someone like me.

I'm also trying my luck with Thomas Covenant, but I'm not feeling it so far. I don't feel invested in the world, the plot or the main character at all. I seem to have very low tolerance towards early fantasy works in that regard - I need good character arcs to keep me into books, character arcs that make sense in modern terms. I'm at the middle of book one, but I'm not sure if I'd end up finishing this up or not.

Peat

I did a Feist re-read last year. A lot of the early stuff stands up for me, but you can definitely tell that the wider tastes of the genre have shifted a lot from them.

Anyway, I'm currently reading John Crowley's The Deep. Full thoughts later, but its both very epic and very compact.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I tried, guys and gals, but in the end I put down Lions of al-Rassan. I'm one third into the book and I don't give a damn about any of the characters. Life's too short to read books that don't give you any pleasure. So I decided to DNF.

I've started on a sci-fi series now. I'm 100 pages in and already love it.

Khartun

Oh man, I really hope you like it. It's one of my favorites from new series/authors. I just love the main character.
Did you hear the crap that /r/Fantasy did to Ed?
One of their mods, who isn't a mod anymore, got into a fight with him. He then went on a crusade to destroy him. Over a year he created different accounts and accused him of being some kind of abusive person. He made it look like several people were accusing him. He then convinced some of their other mods of these accusations and they all tried to destroy his career. The truth finally came out and those mods are no longer with /r/Fantasy. Really crazy stuff.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
One of their mods, who isn't a mod anymore, got into a fight with him. He then went on a crusade to destroy him. Over a year he created different accounts and accused him of being some kind of abusive person. He made it look like several people were accusing him. He then convinced some of their other mods of these accusations and they all tried to destroy his career. The truth finally came out and those mods are no longer with /r/Fantasy. Really crazy stuff.
Nah, had no idea. That's so weird. Feels like a personal vendetta or something.

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
Finished An Empire Unacquainted With Defeat and started Esslemont's Path to Ascendancy now that book 3 is out.

Peat

Absolutely insane. I brought his book out of solidarity.

ExTended

I don't visit that leftist-serpent-den anymore. It's beneath me to frequent a place where people cannot distinguish between their hobby and their politics/agenda. Same with Fantasy Faction. Zero integrity in their reviews - they'll constantly push leftist fantasy books and the books of their author friends above what's actually good.

I'm so thankful that I don't live in a country where being insulted by stupid things is the norm to an extent where you can ruin someone's career with it. I've had a girl( strangers with whom I knew from passing each other on our way to somewhere a time or two, so not co-workers but still) or two smack my behind to try and grab my attention( I'd presume), but while it still gives me the creeps I wouldn't want them to lose their dreams/jobs over it... You roll your eyes and they get the message. I couldn't find what the actual allegations against Ed were - but in my book if you haven't called the cops( or the HR authorities) on the spot, no one has committed a crime against you and if things continue, you are either too stupid to exercise your rights, or you're okay with giving the other person mixed signals about the situation.

On a more positive note - I'm almost finished with Lightbringer 4. Reading it for a second time, I've liked it much more than the first time. I bet it's the expectations thingy - when I've read it as a fresh book, my expectations were high and the book didn't deliver, so it was a disappointing experience. Now though - my expectations were low and I knew what happened next, so I could enjoy the good parts and endure the bad ones. I almost wish the same was true for WoT 6 to 9 where I mostly skip 1/2 of the books( Egwene & Elayne, sometimes Perrin too), but with this one - re-reading it is actually fun.

Now I'm trying to decide between Malazan 3 and the new Mark Lawrence book that comes out today. I've started Malazan already, but Mark Lawrence's book is actually the last one in his most recent trilogy and damn it if I'm not curious. :)

EDIT: I've actually bought a Bluetooth speaker that could over-shadow the background sounds for when I'm on the treadmill and listening to the LOTR audiobook from my phone is the next best thing to a upbeat song. So I'm on my way to Mordor, one mile at a time.

Last edited:

Peat

I'd just like to point out that Ed has very specifically said he doesn't want the falseness of the allegations to detract from the very many serious allegations that do gone unheard, and that this is a very rare and extraordinary piece of deliberately malicious falsehoods that seemed to be very personal in nature with nothing political attached.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm so thankful that I don't live in a country where being insulted by stupid things is the norm to an extent where you can ruin someone's career with it. I've had a girl( strangers with whom I knew from passing each other on our way to somewhere a time or two, so not co-workers but still) or two smack my behind to try and grab my attention( I'd presume), but while it still gives me the creeps I wouldn't want them to lose their dreams/jobs over it... You roll your eyes and they get the message.
Although I am against the American "claim culture" I do think this wouldn't fly in any professional setting. My company (big multinational) has an operating company in Bulgaria and our code of conduct applies there, exactly the same as it does here in Holland or in the States. If someone were to smack someone's bottom there, this would definitely be a reason for severe disciplinary measures (almost certainly dismissal).

but in my book if you haven't called the cops( or the HR authorities) on the spot, no one has committed a crime against you and if things continue, you are either too stupid to exercise your rights, or you're okay with giving the other person mixed signals about the situation.
This is highly insensitive to victims of (any type of) abuse and totally disregards the paralyzing effects abuse can have on victims. Also, people are often hesitant to just "call the cops or HR", especially when the abuse happens between people of an unequal hierarchical dependency (eg boss versus employee). People are afraid of losing their jobs.

Anyways, I don't know anything about the specific allegations against this author, I'm just pointing out that over-generalizing abuse is not OK.

Conversely of course, false allegations in bad faith are just as bad as actual abuse and should be stamped out hard.

ExTended

Although I am against the American "claim culture" I do think this wouldn't fly in any professional setting. My company (big multinational) has an operating company in Bulgaria and our code of conduct applies there, exactly the same as it does here in Holland or in the States. If someone were to smack someone's bottom there, this would definitely be a reason for severe disciplinary measures (almost certainly dismissal).
I'm not saying that it wouldn't, but here we rely on our laws to protect us and we use them sparingly between each-other and more importantly we'd never give the power of our laws in the hands of the mindless left or right mob, and that's exactly what happens in the Western countries, especially with business giving the power over life and death to hearsay-and-bathmouthing-motivated crowds of leftist.

In my country if you accuse someone of something, you have to be able to defend your point in court or in front of HR with actual evidences, because if it was a flimsy accusation and someone felt f*cked up for no reason, they'll just call a few friends and make a picture of your face. That's why you don't hear about false MeToos from Bulgaria - here there are consequences for lying or over-revenging, and we all have family and friends who'd step up with their fists to defend our rights if the court wouldn't, and since this could start some very nasty vendettas, we have clearer boundaries between right, wrong, misunderstanding and misbehaving. And no one has to suck up abuse if they don't want to - there are many ways in which you could make your mind known on the matter.

We are no barbarians, mind you, but if you'd risk your friends/family being sued for defending you, you don't call on them for false accusations. And we don't have to tell our kids that no means no either. They know what no and yes mean. In our society we believe in the inner strength of the individual and that their sense of personal dignity and self-worth won't prevent them from making their mind known, and their right defended when it's right.

We also don't have feminists here. Because everyone feels equally protected or threatened by the law and social structure, so you're judged based on your contributions and you rise or fall based on your own personal cunning. Granted, it's not a perfect system, since we still have companies being shady and rich people bending the laws, but on an individual level nothing prevets you from working hard or working smart.

The society will still shun you if you're proven to be a bad human being in court, but the mob cannot hang an innocent person with someone creating 3 fake Reddit accounts and his mod friends helping him with building the scaffolding. That's a foreign and a quite frightening concept to me, I hope that we never get to such a point of social suicide.

I'm not trying to spew politics on you, but in my country doing okay or doing good takes and actual effort from everyone and most of the people who are working have been dealing with lack of democracy and lawfulness in their youth, in the days of communism where personal skills weren't cherished and you could lose your job on a whim of someone with the right power, so we view our democracy as something that works only when everyone is equal before it and giving a mob the power of over someone's faith is not democracy and I don't think that it could happen here as long as there are enough people who have experienced the actual difference between democracy/lawfulness and the lack of it.

Sorry for the preaching, but I really want to give you an idea of how not all places on Earth have equal views of what the public opinion should be capable of achieving and that there are legit reasons for it to be so, although we all should already know that I'd hope. What happened to Ed isn't just wrong because it was false accusations, it's wrong because people who wouldn't like/permit that to happen to them have done it to him. That's why there are laws, and judges, and police, and investigators, basically professionals who protect the potential victims and executors from getting things wrong, we've actually evolved to that system of professionals exercising evaluation and punishments after thousands of years of doing it "the mob way". It clearly didn't work well for our ancestors if we moved away from it, how about not justifying going back to it because of the 3 bad people that it might actually punish rightfully?

EDIT: I've actually had someone trying to destroy my business from a position of power over personal vendetta 7-8 years ago. It wasn't even because of me, but against a relative of mine. I didn't get off as easily as Ed in terms that I've spent a whole month of dealing with all kind of agencies and organisations before I could prove that it was unfounded and with a malicious intent. It wasn't fun and many people in my place would've given up. And that was just a bad chance of the person being in the right position to cause me headaches and try to put me out of business. Imagine if half of the population of your country had the same kind of power over you... There's always someone with a grudge and no appreciation for consequences. I wouldn't wish the experience even on my worst enemy.

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Guys I know the forum is inactive and all, but I really don't want to see these kind of walls of text pertaining to policies and politics in main fantasy thread. By all means continue this through PMs or any other way you please, but not here.
I still visit this place because of books and book discussions.

rudyjuly2

Guys I know the forum is inactive and all, but I really don't want to see these kind of walls of text pertaining to policies and politics in main fantasy thread. By all means continue this through PMs or any other way you please, but not here.
I still visit this place because of books and book discussions.
Exactly. We don't need to have political commentary here at all. Plenty of other places for it but the book reading thread is not one of them.

Peat

Tried reading some Sarah J. Maas so I could find out what the fuss is about - my library is very bad at 1st books for some reason so I picked up the second of the Court of This and That series, and so far its been competently written exposition with a lot of beautiful people brooding. Not sure I'll be sticking the course, particularly as all the books I got myself for my birthday have started arriving.

kenubrion

Starting Kellanved's Reach.