It's April 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
I just finished up Sins of Empire by Brian McClellan

I was a fan of the original trilogy and this book was up to par in my opinion. If memory serves there was much more focus on the Powder Mages and abilities in the first trilogy whereas this book took a good bit of the magic out of it and was more centered around plot. Normally that is something I don't like but maybe because of already having interest in the series it helped out with that aspect. There were 3 POV's and none of them were the "man can I just get back to character A" types. All enjoyable enough and I particularly liked Ben Styke. Mostly good things to say from me on the whole with the one thing to the negative being that it is just a "good book". Can't complain about a good book but looking bigger picture I can't see yearning to come back and re-read the series any time in the near future.

I'd give it about an 8 or 8.5. Wrath of Empire was delivered today so will likely jump right into that one.

ExTended

Sorry for the long political post, it wasn't well done at all - I just miss the days where fans and authors wouldn't occasionally muddy the water for each-other with social media I guess.

I've done some reading too - finished my Lightbringer 4 re-read, it was an enjoyable experience this time around.

I'e also finished with the Minimum Wage Magic book by Rachel Aaron - it's a promising start of a series, but it's not her best book in or outside of her Heartstrikers world. I've found it more enjoyable compared to Rivers of London with its tighter, faster, clearer plot. 7.8/10 over-all It's a light-hearted urban fantasy that's okay for dudes too, since where there's romance in it, it's mostly hinted at, so no love triangles on the horizon.

I've started The Queen's Thief series re-read. It's one of the most under-rated fantasy series ever, especially if you're looking for a well-written palate-cleansing experience. I'm the end of book 1 after a day or so. If you've liked Jimmy The Hand from Feist's universe, you'd like the protagonist here more. It's a better written character in a better written story. The setting is very heavily influenced by the Greek antiquity and the mythology of the thing is very Ancient Greek-ish too, although only in spirit and not in the myths themselves.

rudyjuly2

Finished reading the Dragons Path by Daniel Abraham. My quick review.

This is a well written book in terms of prose and style. I enjoyed it very much from that perspective. It centres on five characters primarily and these characters largely are grey. They each have issues which makes them interesting. The world itself is interesting as there were dragons at one point and are gone. There is a mystery surrounding that, the history of this current world and a goddess that might spell trouble. And yet not enough attention was given there. The book lacks a great overall threat to mankind or great mystery. This doesn’t feel like an Epic Fantasy and as a result can feel slow or lacking in excitement. More “Game of Houses” like WOT or political maneuvering that we see in GOT.

So overall I give it a 4/5. A pleasure to read, interesting characters and world that aren’t stereotypes but lacking in urgency and epic nature drags the score down. Will definitely continue with the series though.

Ryan W. Mueller

Recently, I finished the following books.

Storm Glass by Jeff Wheeler. This was an enjoyable book, though it was definitely geared toward a younger audience than I expected going in. Good enough that I am looking to read the rest of the series at some point.

Dragon Storm and Dragon Rider by D.K. Holmberg. Now I have only one book left in the series. It's been a lot of fun. It won't win any literary awards, but Holmberg always provides the kind of comfort reads I enjoy. My only real issue is that I think he could sometimes use one more proofread before publishing.

City of Light by Will Wight. I really enjoyed this entire trilogy. I think fans of Sanderson will find a lot to like in Wight's incredibly creative magic system and action-packed plots.

kenubrion

Finished The Swarm and started Kellanved's Reach. Esslemont's writing is so good, he had me laughing right away with Kellanved and Dancer and Surly. "Surprise our enemies instead!" Indeed. I'm going to love this book.

Later that same day...I can't remember who Nightchill was. Was she the woman who camped outside of the city of the Protectress (Li Heng) and was visited by that monster at her campfire? Was she the one who crushed that helmet early in the book to dissuade those soldiers from bothering her?

Last edited:

Noor Al-Shanti

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
A bit late to the Lions discussion, but I recently re-read it for a goodreads group read and it was... just not as good as I thought it was from memory.

As far as I remember his 2-book Sarantine Mosaic and Under Heaven/River of Stars were pretty good, but then... who knows what I would think re-reading them now. So far Tigana is the only one that held up for me for a re-read. It had issues, but was still readable/enjoyable the second time around.

I'm also probably going to DNF the book I'm currently reading. It's The City of Brass by S. A. Chakraborty. I should have known I wouldn't like it because of how hyped up it was, hahaha. At least it's just a library borrow.

And I'm in the middle of a writing slump (I keep getting new ideas for new novels, but the current one is just not cooperating) so I would like to find something good to read.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Finished The Swarm and started Kellanved's Reach. Esslemont's writing is so good, he had me laughing right away with Kellanved and Dancer and Surly. "Surprise our enemies instead!" Indeed. I'm going to love this book.

Later that same day...I can't remember who Nightchill was. Was she the woman who camped outside of the city of the Protectress (Li Heng) and was visited by that monster at her campfire? Was she the one who crushed that helmet early in the book to dissuade those soldiers from bothering her?
Yes it was!

@ExTended, @Alucard, @rudyjuly2 and the rest: indeed, also apologies from my side for veering off course. Should've listed to Ed Sheeran: "My daddy told me: son, don't you get involved with politics, religion, other people's clothes".

ReguIa

That's it, all done with Iron Druid. It was a fantastic series and I had so much fun reading it. I'm not sure what to read next, I'm trying to decide between Seveneves and Aeronaut's Windlass. Leaning more towards scifi but I'm not sure.

Peat

I thought the Aeronaut's Windlass was a shallow reflection of Butcher's other books; YMMV, but I'm certainly not recommending you pick it next.

Myself, I'm reading RJ Barker's King of Assassins and right now its shaping up to be a fantastic ending. I love the evolution that the series has shown; its gone from bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, to sullen and angsty, and now its mature and heavy for want of a better word. Its like a gritter, more accessible GGK, for want of a better description.

kenubrion

I finished Kellanved's Reach and has been said before, it's a fantastic book. I'm so sad it's over, yet it seems to stop before all is told and we meet the boys in Gardens of the Moon. Hope a fourth book is intended by Ian Esslemont.

Someone mentioned The Thief, and thanks go to her or him as I would never have heard of this wonderful book. I'm already well into it.

ExTended

That should be me and you're more than welcome! :) This series seems to get a lot of over-sight from the traditional fantasy crowd, mostly due to it being dubbed( by its publishers I'd guess) young-adult, although I'm 99% sure it's coming-of-age - completely different inherent tropes in both sub-genres.

I've finished my re-read of the series 10 minutes ago. I like going back to books that bring in that warm and cozy feeling in you, especially since it's spring and all - it was perfect. My favorite book of the bunch is still book 3 - a notebook of court intrigues done right.

I'm going through the beginning chapters of Holy Sister as well. So far so good, although I'm still not far enough into the book to get a good impression of where it's heading.

Bar The Wheel of Time, I've re-read all of my favorite series in the past year and it's getting difficult picking up things for re-reading while I'm working. I've almost talked myself into going full aSoIaF with the books + TV series, but I don't hate myself enough to subject my poor soul to a re-read of the last 2.5 books, so I'll try to keep away from it for now. :D

GreyMouser

That should be me and you're more than welcome! :) This series seems to get a lot of over-sight from the traditional fantasy crowd, mostly due to it being dubbed( by its publishers I'd guess) young-adult, although I'm 99% sure it's coming-of-age - completely different inherent tropes in both sub-genres.

I've finished my re-read of the series 10 minutes ago. I like going back to books that bring in that warm and cozy feeling in you, especially since it's spring and all - it was perfect. My favorite book of the bunch is still book 3 - a notebook of court intrigues done right.

I'm going through the beginning chapters of Holy Sister as well. So far so good, although I'm still not far enough into the book to get a good impression of where it's heading.

Bar The Wheel of Time, I've re-read all of my favorite series in the past year and it's getting difficult picking up things for re-reading while I'm working. I've almost talked myself into going full aSoIaF with the books + TV series, but I don't hate myself enough to subject my poor soul to a re-read of the last 2.5 books, so I'll try to keep away from it for now. :D
The last 2.5 books of ASoIaF? I remembered book 3 being the best of the bunch but it's been 8 years so maybe I'm forgetting.

ExTended

Well, it's subjective I guess.

My favorite series of all time is WoT - weak middle books and all( although I'd usually skip some of the really bad parts on re-reads). I know people who wouldn't piss on the books if they were on fire. I'm the same with aSoIaF - I've liked the first 2.5 but felt as if things were going downhill and never picking up speed/quality again. At the same time I don't have problem with people worshiping the stuff - everyone likes different tropes.

The funny thing is I've actually read the books 12 years ago, so I probably remember even less than you do.... :p :D

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I finished Kellanved's Reach and has been said before, it's a fantastic book. I'm so sad it's over, yet it seems to stop before all is told and we meet the boys in Gardens of the Moon. Hope a fourth book is intended by Ian Esslemont.

Someone mentioned The Thief, and thanks go to her or him as I would never have heard of this wonderful book. I'm already well into it.
I know right! Such a fun prequel trilogy series. I loved the banter between Kellanved, Dancer and the other Malazan OG's. It would be cool if Esslemont would write an additional trilogy about the time between Kallenved's Reach and Gardens of the Moon. I'm sure there's a lot of appetite for it among us Malazan fans.

Peat

I finished King of Assassins. Its dope. That is all.

I'm now floating between the following three books as I wait for something to command my attention entirely -

Redemption's Blade - Adrian Tchaikovsky
The Killing Moon - NK Jemisin
Last First Snow - Max Gladstone

So far my editing is winning, with Last First Snow the runner-up, with The Killing Moon a little behind. Redemption's Blade is lagging a fair amount - its not bad, but it feels a bit humdrum compared to the rest.

rudyjuly2

I'm over 200 pages into the King's Blood by Danial Abraham - book 2 of the Dagger and the Coin. I understand why some people don't like the characters since they all have flaws - some worse than others. I actually like most of them. It's a fairly grey group of people and I think that's why this series doesn't get better reviews. I don't LOVE a single character. I find them all interesting but it lacks a super hook imo. I enjoy the writing but I can see why this series sits pretty much at 4.0/5 on Goodreads. Solid but not special. Being fairly slow and lacking an EPIC feeling hurts it as well.

ExTended

To be honest that's what I like about it - the lack of heavily epic moments and characters, it's a total 180 degrees from everything else and it keeps you focused on the story and the small things that become big in the minds of the players, or the big things that they have to treat like small things, lest they be overwhelmed.

The premise that in this world not all that are good end well and not all that are evil are punished is just so precious when done right.

I also do think that this story is made times better in its audiobook format... it's such a lovely thing to listen to... I mean literally - there are like 10 fantasy series that are as pleasant to listen to as this one, maybe even less. Such a good combination of a writing style and a narrating style is quite rare even among the most popular fantasy series. But yeah - ultimately it's a 4/5 series when it's all said and done. However, I have found for myself that sometimes I'd go to a really pleasing 4/5 series much more willingly than to a 5/5 series that lacks "the feels", but it might just be me. :)

On another note I've going through Holy Sister and The Wheel of Time, the latter being a re-read for me. If there weren't so many Forsakens every 2nd chapters, that re-read would've actually been epic. :) The Forsaken are just breaking the regular characters' arcs for me.

Khartun

I'm over 200 pages into the King's Blood by Danial Abraham - book 2 of the Dagger and the Coin. I understand why some people don't like the characters since they all have flaws - some worse than others. I actually like most of them. It's a fairly grey group of people and I think that's why this series doesn't get better reviews. I don't LOVE a single character. I find them all interesting but it lacks a super hook imo. I enjoy the writing but I can see why this series sits pretty much at 4.0/5 on Goodreads. Solid but not special. Being fairly slow and lacking an EPIC feeling hurts it as well.
I could not get into that series. The characters were the main reason IIRC. The main female wasn't competent enough to feed her horse but then she is a genius banker?