It's April 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
I could not get into that series. The characters were the main reason IIRC. The main female wasn't competent enough to feed her horse but then she is a genius banker?
LOL. I like Cithrin. She's a city girl - not a country girl and was sent on a task that she was clueless about. But she was raised by the bank and is very good with numbers. I had no problem with that part.

Geder is interesting although I couldn't believe he did that bad thing in book 1. Dawson is an honourable but miserable old man that has no issues with slaves or treating underlings like crap. Not a real fan although I do like his wife and Jorey. And I do like Marcus and Yardem a lot as well as Master Kit. A lot of the characters in the court - Dawson's buddies and such are all a-holes.

ExTended

Yeah, Cithrin mismanaging the mules is not something unexpected in real life. I've had a girl from my class see a live cow in my yard for the first time in her life( we've had a 3-cow farm 20m away from our city house) and that was at the time where big dairy animals were prohibited for raising in cities). She was 10-12 years old at the time, I cannot remember exactly, but many things we take for granted from our own circumstances could be a novelty or an ignorance for someone else.

And taking a good care for such a big animal isn't a simple tasks even if you know exactly what you're doing. I know legit people who've been in the dairy cows business for 20 years and cannot feed the things properly to save their lives. We're getting 8 times more milk compared to them just by feeding the cows not too little or not too much, and taking timely precautions against their changes of feeding tastes. I.e. it's hardly a simple thing if you don't have the background. And even I suck at it to some extent, that's why I prefer my online marketing profession - it's simpler. :)

ReguIa

Finished Aeronaut's Windlass and I agree with you @Peat. It was solid but definitely a bit of a let down when you compare it to DF. But then of course Storm Front as well don't compare well to the later ones in the series. I do think AW was way longer than it should've been, and unlike DF the characters were quite bland. Not a single one stood out either, well except for the cat. There was too much focus on plot and story and you didn't get know the characters, it was all just in the moment and moving forward. Definitely lacking depth. And despite this you didn't really get to know that much about the world.

Again it was just the first book but still, it's supposed to be a trilogy so it won't be able to grow like DF did. I am looking forward to the sequel. I didn't think Brent Weeks first Lightbringer book was anything special but the sequels turned out amazing. Maybe these will too.

Peat

I could not get into that series. The characters were the main reason IIRC. The main female wasn't competent enough to feed her horse but then she is a genius banker?
I'm with everyone else here. There's no shortage of people in the world with incredible brainpower in one sphere of activity and an alarming lack of it (and experience) in another.

Finished Aeronaut's Windlass and I agree with you @Peat. It was solid but definitely a bit of a let down when you compare it to DF. But then of course Storm Front as well don't compare well to the later ones in the series. I do think AW was way longer than it should've been, and unlike DF the characters were quite bland. Not a single one stood out either, well except for the cat. There was too much focus on plot and story and you didn't get know the characters, it was all just in the moment and moving forward. Definitely lacking depth. And despite this you didn't really get to know that much about the world.

Again it was just the first book but still, it's supposed to be a trilogy so it won't be able to grow like DF did. I am looking forward to the sequel. I didn't think Brent Weeks first Lightbringer book was anything special but the sequels turned out amazing. Maybe these will too.
Fair assessment. I gave up on it after around 100 pages so at least you enjoyed it more than me!

kenubrion

Redemption's Blade is lagging a fair amount
Peat, I was the same way with it. Tried three times. So glad I did try again because it's a lights out and dynamic and unique epic fantasy, and it is epic. Hard to believe I know when she's just knocking around in the town but just past that it's hold on to your hat. Adrian Tchaikovsky has done it again.

Last edited:

Peat

Peat, I was the same way with it. Tried three times. So glad I did because it's a lights out and dynamic and unique epic fantasy, and it is epic. Hard to believe I know when she's just knocking around in the town but just past that it's hold on to your hat. Adrian Tchaikovsky has done it again.
I shall definitely stay the course then - just it may not be first against the wall.

This'll also be the first Tchaikovsky I read.

ExTended

I just read 11 books in one month. Even though they were all great I feel I need to slow down a bit, so I decided to finally start Hyperion. I have really high expectations on this one.
The one book that everyone and their mother has been recommending to me for the past 14 years. I'm gonna get to it someday, too! :p

ReguIa

The one book that everyone and their mother has been recommending to me for the past 14 years. I'm gonna get to it someday, too!
It has been the same for me. I've really been wanting to read it before now but at the same time hesitant to start it because I don't want to start with the best the genre has to offer when I've barely read any scifi.

ExTended

It has been the same for me. I've really been wanting to read it before now but at the same time hesitant to start it because I don't want to start with the best the genre has to offer when I've barely read any scifi.
I've heard it described as sci-fi with feels and great character progression, I hope that's the case, because I cannot stand old style books that are exposition over characters.

I've given up on my Lord of Chaos re-read. Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene have brought me to my knees as only they could. I'm too lazy to skip chapters while working, so I've switched to The Greatcoasts re-read instead.

Every. Single. Sentence. In. This. Series. Is. Damn. Hilarious. And. Epic. And. Memorable. Too! :) Seriously, though - it's damn refreshing. It's beyond me why Sebantien De Castell isn't more prominent in the genre - his books are at least as good as Scott Lynch's in over-all quality.

Khartun

I've heard it described as sci-fi with feels and great character progression, I hope that's the case, because I cannot stand old style books that are exposition over characters.

I've given up on my Lord of Chaos re-read. Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene have brought me to my knees as only they could. I'm too lazy to skip chapters while working, so I've switched to The Greatcoasts re-read instead.

Every. Single. Sentence. In. This. Series. Is. Damn. Hilarious. And. Epic. And. Memorable. Too! :) Seriously, though - it's damn refreshing. It's beyond me why Sebantien De Castell isn't more prominent in the genre - his books are at least as good as Scott Lynch's in over-all quality.
Loved the Greatcoats!

rudyjuly2

Confession: I haven't read the Greatcoats OR Lynch. The bastard series is on my to read list. I think I read a free sample of Greatcoats but found it hard to differentiate between the main characters. Just never went ahead and got the book.

As for King's Blood, book 2 in the Dagger and Coin by Daniel Abraham, wow! The second half of this book has a couple major things happen. Surprised me. Really interested in seeing where this goes. Almost done. About 100+ pages left.

Marcus was going off the deep end about going after Cithrin but it still shocked me when Yardem took him down and jailed him to take over the company. And Dawson Kalliam trying to kill Geder and now in prison, possibly facing execution. Good stuff.

ExTended

Confession: I haven't read the Greatcoats OR Lynch. The bastard series is on my to read list. I think I read a free sample of Greatcoats but found it hard to differentiate between the main characters. Just never went ahead and got the book.
I know that this would sound like an odd endorsement, but give the audiobooks a try. I melt from joy every time I hear the way Joe Jameson narrates The Greatcoats. It's movie-like epic. I've read like 300-400 fantasy audiobooks in the last 4-5 years and Greatcoats is beyond a doubt in the top 5 or 10 of best narrated things from those books.

Marcus was going off the deep end about going after Cithrin but it still shocked me when Yardem took him down and jailed him to take over the company. And Dawson Kalliam trying to kill Geder and now in prison, possibly facing execution. Good stuff.
With The Dagger and the Coin the joy is in the little things. There are certainly some aSoIaF moments thorough the series or cleverly built-in jokes. I like how good the series is in seamlessly incorporating the small cruelties of life so close to the characters' hearts, it's very life-like.

Daniel Abraham is real life friends with G. R. R. Martin and there's definitely some subtle influence going on there in that regard.