It's April 2019: What sci-fi book are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm reading fantasy currently. How about you guys: any sci-fi books on the coffee table?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
So I started Sleeping Giants by Sylvian Neuvel. On GoodReads I saw Tom liked it, so I decided to give it a go. I'm 100 pages in and I love it already. I already ordered books 2 and 3 of the trilogy.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Finishing The Swarm, book one of Orson Scott Card's second Ender's Game prequel trilogy about the Second Formic War. I am going to start Sleeping Giants now because of the recs above. Thanks Silv and Khar. Later, Kenu.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I just finished Sleeping Giants, which I liked quite a bit. I think the style of the book is refreshing. It works through interview transcriptions and personal logs. In this it feels similar to World War Z, although the mysterious interviewer in Sleeping Giants has a very distinct personality, which I love.

I've immediately dived into Waking Gods, book 2 of this series.

kenubrion

When I finished The Swarm I got back to Ender's Shadow which I had put down at 62 percent because of how slow it was going. Finished it yesterday because it became unputdownable and retold the huge ending of Ender's Game from the viewpoint of little Bean, the brilliant sidekick of Ender Wiggin. This ending mirrored that of the movie when the attack on the Buggers' home world finally happened. But it was a very boring story for 75% of it. I will occasionally be reading a few pages of Children of Time now and then while my main read now is Kellanved's Reach.

ReguIa

@Silvion Night I started Sleeping Giants last year. It was definitely a page turner but halfway through I just stopped and then didn't get back to it. It was a weird experience for me, that style was interesting at first but just as quickly I tired of it. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Has anyone here read Tiamat's Wrath yet?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
@Silvion Night I started Sleeping Giants last year. It was definitely a page turner but halfway through I just stopped and then didn't get back to it. It was a weird experience for me, that style was interesting at first but just as quickly I tired of it. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Has anyone here read Tiamat's Wrath yet?
I finished the first two books in the trilogy now. They're page turners, but to be honest I feel my attention wavering from time to time as well. Sounds paradoxical, but what I mean is that the book is very fast-paced, but on the other hand the story is quite simplistic.

Anyways, I'll finish the trilogy now, because I want to know how it ends. The overall score went from a 8+ to a 7- though.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I now started on book 3 of Neuvel's trilogy about gigantic killer robots. Again, it's a page-turner, but the story is starting to get really silly now.

I've ordered the first 3 of the Expanse books. I really like the tv-series and Tom recommended I give the book series a go, so here I am.

Kevin O Donoghue

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Just starting A Time of Blood by John Gwynne. I like his style so it should be good judging by his past books. I have read Holy Sister by Mark Lawrence this month which was excellent. A nice finish to the series. It is always nice when an author finishes a series and does not leave readers/fans hanging for years. I also read One Word Kill from Mark Lawrence which was different to what I had read from him previously but it was interesting.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've ordered the first 3 of the Expanse books. I really like the tv-series and Tom recommended I give the book series a go, so here I am.
Nice.
I've got the first on my audible app. Maybe I'll join you soon.