It's April 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

Kevin O Donoghue

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I have started reading The Chronicles of the Black Gate series by Phil Tucker. I thought for 99p it was worth getting. Am just starting book two. The series should get me through the next two weeks. Then it is on to A Time of Courage by John Gwynne and will be reading The Girl and The Stars by Mark Lawerence at the end of the month.

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
Just finished The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore

With 33 books or so in this series I really wanted to like this and I just couldn't. There isn't one thing I can point to and say that is what is wrong with it because I liked some of the characters, the plot was decent, and the pacing was fine. Even saying that though it somehow still felt like a slog for me. At 344 pages it maybe should have been a 3 day read and it took me a couple of weeks. It gave me very similar feelings to how I felt reading LotR. I don't know if it is the way they are written or what but it just doesn't click for me. Unfortunate but this series will be a 1 and done.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Still reading The Last Wish. Started off fast, but in a bit of a reading slump now.

rudyjuly2

How many of you read murder mysteries? I think it’s something I need to read more of. I always like TV show or movies like that. Knives Out was fun and me and the wife just started watching Broadchurch.

Still reading Children of Time, the human/spider Sci-fi book. It really is two stories told separately that dove tail at times - at least for the moment for me. The ability to fast forward time and events through advanced sleep chambers also advances the story. Not a fast paced book but an interesting one about 60% through.

Peat

How many of you read murder mysteries? I think it’s something I need to read more of. I always like TV show or movies like that. Knives Out was fun and me and the wife just started watching Broadchurch.
Some. I'm obsessed by the TV show Line of Duty and love Lindsay Davis' Falco novels. Also a big fan of the translations of Camilleri's Montalbano. Lot of other good stuff out there, although none I love. John Le Carre's Call for the Dead is a very good murder mystery too.

ReguIa

@Cyphon That's disappointing to hear. I've been curious about the Drizzt books for some time but just never got around to them. Perhaps I'll give them a try eventually but for now it's going down my TBR.

Besides reading The Witcher I also started Locke & Key. Never read a comic book before this so it's definitely exciting. The TV show on Netflix is what got me interested. Very intriguing concept but mediocre in pretty much every aspect. I heard the comics are supposed to be some of the best out there so decided to give them a go.

Cyphon

@Cyphon That's disappointing to hear. I've been curious about the Drizzt books for some time but just never got around to them. Perhaps I'll give them a try eventually but for now it's going down my TBR.

Besides reading The Witcher I also started Locke & Key. Never read a comic book before this so it's definitely exciting. The TV show on Netflix is what got me interested. Very intriguing concept but mediocre in pretty much every aspect. I heard the comics are supposed to be some of the best out there so decided to give them a go.
Yeah I am pretty disappointed. It is entirely possible the series gets better because there are different trilogies or sections with different characters and timelines, at least if I understand it correctly. I am reading the first published book but it isn't the first book chronologically. It is just hard to get past the original experience and give a different book a try.

As for Locke & Key I actually watched that not too long ago. Pretty much agree with what you said. Interesting concept but mediocre execution. Would probably give a second season a chance though if/when they do one.

rudyjuly2

Children of Time was a solid but unspectacular book. It had some interesting evolution and science fiction ideas as it followed two different stories - the stories of humans from Earth and the stories of super spiders on a new planet. How their lives and stories evolve and potentially interact was good. The different characters in the book also had merit and this was an intelligent story. Unfortunately the book is on the slow side. There are few riveting moments, great mysteries to unravel or much in the way of action scenes at all until you get to the end. While interesting, it was a bit too slow and I won’t be reading book 2.

I will give this 3.5/5 but round down to 3/5.

Cyphon

Just finished my 2nd read of The Name of the Wind. I remember the first time reading it coming away thinking that it felt like not a whole lot had actually happened in the book but I still enjoyed it. Honestly my thoughts haven't changed much years later. The Chandrian seem to be what is supposed to be the "main" plot point for Kvothe but it really doesn't touch on it a whole lot throughout the book and it mostly meanders through random events in his life. I didn't come out of it saying "I have to know this" or "I can't what to see where plotline x goes".

One noteable change is that I remember being far more impressed with the prose the first time through. This time nothing about it particularly jumped out at me. It is hard to describe this book the way I want to because I feel like what I want to say sounds negative but I still view it as a good book. Some sort of twist on the prhase jack of all trades, master of none because that doesn't feel quite right either. Hopefully someone here can put better worse to it than I can.

Next up is The Wise Man's Fear.

ReguIa

The Last Wish was great. I immediately started Sword of Destiny. One thing that struck me is that the Netflix adaptation was VERY faithful to the book.

afa

I remember the first time reading it coming away thinking that it felt like not a whole lot had actually happened in the book but I still enjoyed it. Honestly my thoughts haven't changed much years later.
It's been a long time since I read the books, but I remember feeling the same thing. I felt that way about the second book, too.

That's actually one of the things that ended up souring me on the series and why I don't particularly care for it. We've read two-thirds of the trilogy, and very little has actually happened.

ReguIa

Done with the second Witcher book which I liked even more than the first. I'm excited to head into the real novels but I'll also miss reading these shorter stories. It was a lot of fun switching setting and seeing new characters all the time. I particularly liked the one with the mermaid, the shapeshifter one and that one with Yennefer and Istredd. Absolutely hilarious every time Dandelion shows up, and Yennefer's story (A Shard of Ice or something) was fantastic.

I just remembered Shorefall is being released in a few days so I'll read that first and continue with The Witcher after that. Foundryside is one of my favorites from last year and it set up for a very interesting sequel.

Last edited:

GreyMouser

I just started The Living End which is book 3 of the Daniel Faust series. I've really been enjoying these books.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've finished the Wisdom's Grave trilogy. This was a great addition to Harmony Black and Daniel Faust universe. It introduced a bunch of new great characters and explained a lot of things. There was a lot of crossover so Harmony and Daniel were there as well. I'm greatly enjoying this.
Now reading Harmony Black #5, Right to the Kill.

Cyphon

It's been a long time since I read the books, but I remember feeling the same thing. I felt that way about the second book, too.

That's actually one of the things that ended up souring me on the series and why I don't particularly care for it. We've read two-thirds of the trilogy, and very little has actually happened.
I am about 730 or so pages into my re-read of the 2nd one and yeah, it is very much a continuation of my thoughts on the first. The story never actually feels like it is going anywhere as he as only had very minor brushes with the main plot point of finding the Chandrian. The 2nd one is more egregious because it takes him away from the university and some of the more interesting minor plot points like his rivalry with Ambrose.

I still enjoy the books for whatever reason but they are definitely taking a hit on my top 25 list or whatever list we want to talk about. They are solid enough but there is nothing particularly interesting about them that is making me yearn for the 3rd book like I thought I was.

afa

They are solid enough but there is nothing particularly interesting about them that is making me yearn for the 3rd book like I thought I was.
Yup. Rothfuss actually stated a while back something to the effect of (not verbatim), "I'm an author who tricked you into reading a trilogy that's really just a million-word prologue."

And you know what? He was right. The books do, indeed, feel like less like a complete story, and more like a prologue to (what might be) a more complete and interesting story. That might have something to do with his inability to finish it.