It's April 2021: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
I'm in a bit of a funk too. Making a career out of Hyperion which has been on the slow side for me.

Has anyone read the Foundryside trilogy by Robert Bennett? I read his Divine Cities trilogy and that was the rare trilogy where I thought each book got better. The premise about a thief kind of turns me off. Tired of those small potatoes stories. I'd love a new, legit epic fantasy.

ReguIa

@rudyjuly2 I've read the two books that are out. I enjoyed the first one but the sequel not so much. The worldbuilding sort of stopped and only continued with what was introduced in the first one. My main issue was that there were rarely any outside viewpoints, as in all the main characters were together for almost the entire book. That caused the book to feel like 80% pure dialogue. And not the good kind either, think non stop MCU banter.

I haven't read Divine Cities yet but from what I've gathered that series is way higher quality. Foundryside is technically epic fantasy but it doesn't feel large in scale.

Now I do recommend the first book, especially if you like Sanderson. It was fun, fast paced and the magic was great. I just expected too much from the sequel I guess. Will probably read the last one when it gets released.

Cyphon

My funk is purely related to still trying to get through The Dragonbone Chair. I think I can safely say this is the most boring fantasy book I have ever read to this point, and it is painful even trying to skim through these early parts. I haven't even reached page 100 and I have now started just skipping entire paragraphs once I have some idea of whether or not what is going on seems important.

I am really hoping the so called payoff is worth it. How anyone ever made it to the point where this gets good deserves some kind of award for patience and perseverance.

Jakyro

I finished Wrath last week (The Faithfull and The Fallen #4). I really liked the final book and the series as a whole. I've read all the four books consecutively so it was good to be finished with it. I thought it was time to read something else before starting with 'Of Blood And Bone', the follow-up series to The Faithfull and The Fallen. Events in OBAB take place about 100 years after earlier events. But ... I couldn't really find anything else to read that really grabbed me, so in the end I started with 'A Time Of Dread' (OBAB #1)

I have to say, contrary to what I thought, it's enjoyable to be continuing in the same world. I had a feeling that I really needed something else, but as I'm reading now I'm having no trouble at all. There have been changes in the Banished Lands but it's still recognizable. POV characters are off course different but skimming through the character list learns there are some recurring characters and some decendants as well. So far I'm liking it.

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

My funk is purely related to still trying to get through The Dragonbone Chair. I think I can safely say this is the most boring fantasy book I have ever read to this point, and it is painful even trying to skim through these early parts. I haven't even reached page 100 and I have now started just skipping entire paragraphs once I have some idea of whether or not what is going on seems important.

I am really hoping the so called payoff is worth it. How anyone ever made it to the point where this gets good deserves some kind of award for patience and perseverance.
There is no payoff. Just quit lol. Not worth it.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member

:D I really liked the trilogy, but I recon if it doesn't float your boat by the point you're at it's probably best to move onto something else ;)

Cyphon

There is no payoff. Just quit lol. Not worth it.
:D I really liked the trilogy, but I recon if it doesn't float your boat by the point you're at it's probably best to move onto something else ;)
After posting I pushed through a little more and am now at chapter 12 page 144. There have been a couple of bright spots that give me hope so for now I will continue. Feels like way less of a chore the last couple of chapters. Seems like the plot is finally moving onto stuff that is actually interesting.

Darwin

Started Arcane Ascension book 3. The audiobook isn't out, so I'm reading the text version (albeit on my pc), which feels strange. For most of the last year, I've mainly been reading stuff from Royal Road on my phone or listening to audiobooks during my commute.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I finished A Season of Storms, a standalone Witcher novel. I gave it 3 GR stars. It's OKish, but not really memorable. Definitely less boring than the last books in the main saga.

Yesterday I started re-reading the First Law books. It's amazing: I'm already 60 pages into The Blade Itself, I couldn't put the book down when I started reading. This is how reading fantasy should feel! Instead of slogging through endless pages of exposition or boring descriptions about clothing, we have fast-paced dialogue and clever story telling. More please!

rudyjuly2

Reading Hyperion feels like driving to the corner store but taking the longest route imaginable for no good reason. Will you get to the point! It’s all about the characters sharing their past while waiting on the main story. But I don’t need every freaking detail of their life. I’m halfway done and it’s hard for me to keep going. The book has so much unnecessary info in there that the interesting parts are rare and I lose interest quickly.