It's August 2017. What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Aug 1, 2017.

1. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I'm still reading The Legion of Flame by Anthony Ryan.

2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I finished Blood Rites. I really liked the book except for Harry in the beginning. I realized he is only unbearable until all the female characters are introduced. After that he's tolerable. So I will probably go back to Dresden again, because I like the story and the side characters, but I have to take Harry in small doses. So one book at a time. I don't have the patience with his character to binge read this.

I'm starting The Devil You Know today.

3. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

The start of the final book of WOT has been a bit slow. 25% in and nothing overly interesting has happened so far. I'm sure it will pick up.

4. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

@Alucard how you finding Wizard and Glass ?

5. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

You're in for a treat when you get to the next book. Dead Beat is very memorable. It's where the series starts getting really good, imo.

I'm currently listening to Side Jobs by Jim Butcher. Very fun. It's interesting to see Butcher's growth as a writer and hearing stories from some different PoVs. I also have King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence waiting, but I've been stuck with that one. Might not finish it.

6. Alucard

Well I paused it for now. I just feel like reading something else. Mainly urban fantasy.
    Although so far what I read, I liked. What about you?

Cool. Hope Harry deals with his reactions to female characters in first 50-80 pages, so I don't go blind from all the eye-rolls.

7. Hand of Fear

I think I finished it a few weeks ago now, I thought it was decent enough but a bit drawn out in places and it seemed to have less dramatic moments in it for me.

One thing from it that I will always remember is when
    the witch was using the glass ball to spy on a woman who was licking her house clean, that is the first time I have read anything like that in a book

I'm also taking a break from it to, as I didn't want to burn myself out on it. I will probably read a different book next then go back to it.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

So, am I just really slow or did u catch on right away to what it referenced? I feel I missed so much by looking right over it.

9. Hand of Fear

I'm not sure if I got it or not, or if it may have been something I picked up on without even noticing I had.

Would you mind saying then I can either hold my head down in shame or run off to the hills laughing like a lunatic !

10. Darth Tater

@Hand of Fear

Wizards and glass was the Wizard of Oz. The emerald city (the road and castle they traveled on were green). they were seeking a wizard.. The witch and her crystal glass ball. Roland was Dorothy with her 3 companions (ed, jake, susan = scarecrow, tin man, lion. Oy was toto. I think the wizard wasnt what he was supposed to be like in the movie.There was more but i read it like 15 -20 years ago and forgot. Plus I caught on late .

11. Hand of Fear

Yes it was something I caught on to but I also didn't pay it to much attention either.

12. Alucard

This completely flew over my head.

13. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Like HoF, I did notice it, but didn't give it much attention.

I'm about halfway through the Malice. The book is good, but I'm not blown away by it (bit like the first book). The story and world-building are a bit better this time around, the prose is just as beautiful, but the characters are not as interesting as in the first book. It kinda balances out.

14. Darth Tater

@Hand of Fear @Alucard

I debated telling you guys. I figured you would catch it earlier than I did. I wonder what else I missed along that line?

Below are some teasers that I don't think spoil anything (I was very vague) and will be of interest but read further at your own risk.

Unless I missed something, nothing like that happens again. However, in book 5 you run into a major character who pops in from a previous book. I hadn't read it but I don't think it mattered.

There IS one shocking important guest appearance who is present in a book or two. I can tell you that because you'll never guess.

Book 5 was my favorite but many consider it the weakest. It is a story that happens along the way and things finally start to make sense in regards to the overall picture. "Wolves", and a wild arse fun shootout. Something shocking to the senses.

Book 6 focuses mostly on Susan, something connected to her, and the evil robotics agency.

Book 7 on the Dark Tower!

I think the book titles pretty much sum up the stuff I shared.

This is Stephen King. If you read The Stand or other books you know that not everyone lives. At the end he warns you not to read the final chapter in book 7 if...something...

There is something in book 7 that IMO was ridiculous. I mean, it's all crazy but this concerns human nature.

I hope you continue on. IMO, things get really interesting after book 4 which takes a detour. IIRC the vast portion of the remainder is in the present.

15. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Just finished American Gods~Neil Gaiman

hated it.
    and I normally like Neil Gaimans stuff.

so starting out it abysmal, just a long series of overused heist movie clichés, and very bad dialogue. its as if Neil studied for this book by watching the worst rated heist movies he can find. by the end of the book I realized there wasn't a single original thought in the whole book. it then too until page 250~ for something interesting to happen (but this has nothing to do with the rest of the story, and in fact you have to read the epilogue to get a semblance of a conclusion for this event) AND it took until page ~450 for the protagonist to do ANYTHING. until then the protagonist was 90% just going through the motions of doing what he was told. "drive me here" "ok" "listen to this long winded story that has nothing to do with the plot" "ok". really most of the book is the protagonist listening to various stories that have nothing or very little to do with the plot.
    he decides to be jesus.... literally, Neil comes right out and practically says it when we have the grunt soldier imagine he was piercing his side with a spear while he was on the (cross) World tree being sacrificed

then we get to an ending that anyone who has ever watched a Heist movie would be able to predict
    the Boss man states its a two man con in the beginning, and since the protagonist doesn't understand anything that's going on, never does anything, and is clueless as what he is supposed to be doing, its a very easy thought train to realize that he is being conned, and is not involved in the greater work. once you figure that out you can easily put it together that most of the people are being conned, and as soon as his roommate is revealed as Loki, the leader of the opposition, its a quick jump to conclude that the whole book was a setup by Loki and boss man (odin)

after a big mire of rehashed ideas we've all seen a dozen times, ill have to bring up the cultural aspects. sometimes its obvious that Neil spent some time in the places he wrote about, but sometimes he clearly was just making stuff up, sometimes insultingly. ignore what you read about Kansas, the center of America doesn't look like that, never had. I like how he slid in some cultural prejudice into a few scenes (mostly about other nations as indicated in their stereotypes gods), example in Virginia, he made sure to put a kid in nothing but overalls made by osh gosh. good luck finding a vendor selling osh gosh in Virginia, most residents call that yankee garbage if they ever even seen some. its also quite expensive comparatively, if someone is wearing the bare minimum, I doubt he it purchasing the most expensive thing on the rack. why though, because he probably watched too much tv and assumes that people in the blue ridge and Shenandoah really dress like the guys in HeeHaw.

3/10

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  16. Jakyro

Jakyro Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Finished the thirst on saturday and started another crime/mystery novel; the fourth book in the Q series ... the first books weren't that good, so hopefully there's some improvement now.

After that I'll continue my Malazan read with Stonewielder

• Like Like x 1
  17. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Well I know I can never trust Bierschneeman's taste again now :p

Still reading Irish myth. Appear to have lost my copy of His Majesty's Dragon five seconds after buying it.

18. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

This is the only Gaiman book I've not enjoyed. Don't let this put you off any of his other books though. I've thoroughly enjoyed them all, including AGs sequel, Anansi Boys.

Stardust, is possibly my favourite book. Depends which day you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Darth Tater

@TomTB

I read Anansi Boys maybe a month ago and enjoyed it too. I decided not to read AG after hearing stuff. But I am very curious as to in what way was it a sequel even though I already forgot a great deal.

20. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Oh tell me about it. I once thought about reading SoIaF but someone said something so I didn't. Smart huh?

• Dumb Dumb x 1