It's August 2017. What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Aug 1, 2017.

1. fl1pper

fl1pper Got in a fistfight with Dresden

Oh yes. loving Excession, it is hilarious in places.

EDIT: Just realized there are 2 ways to read what you said :cool: Maybe I should read everything slower, not just the Malazan books.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. Cyphon

Cyphon Journeyed there and back again

Has anyone picked up Kevin Hearnes new book? I am referring to the Iron Druid collection of short stories. Just wondering if it is worth it.

3. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Malaz is a series that punishes you for speeding through it because there are subtle details and allusions which will become important later on in the series. I'll warn you ahead of time: the series doesn't follow one core narrative often, and perspectives jump around a lot from book to book. But persevere; it's the pinnacle of our genre at present. Nothing else comes close.

4. fl1pper

fl1pper Got in a fistfight with Dresden

Yeah, I read Chapter2 last night which is an amazing battle. It was incredibly dense on details, characters and places, historical facts etc etc. I had to consult the maps, glossary and character list multiple times. Was really worried I wouldn't like the book but so far I love it.

5. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Journeyed there and back again

Wouldn't worry about it. Authors have to get used to the fact that not everybody will enjoy their work, some people will just have different tastes.
    For example, I have just finished your "Steel Blood and Fire". I finished it, but I probably won't read the sequel(s), it was just a bit too close to Grimdark for me.
    So it goes.

6. ABatch

ABatch Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Well, it's meant to be Grimdark. But thanks for reading it.