It's August 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I decided to finally read a Robert McCammon book since I've bought several at $1.99 sales just in case. I am very glad I did. The Wolf's Hour is a WWII espionage thriller and dark fantasy. His unique take on the werewolf legend is quite compelling, and the parallel story of the hero's up close and personal fight against the Nazis is just very exciting. This guy can write. I'll be reading Stinger next. Anyone else read anything by McCammon? Some are considered horror, some sci-fi/horror hybrids like his most famous, Swan Song, and some are dark fantasy. Anyway about four or five of his best are selling for $1.99. Nice long books too. Swan Song seems to be a regular offer in the Amazon Daily Deals so you can probably get it for less than the regular $8.35 it is now by waiting.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

rudyjuly2

Just finished the Mad Ship, book 2 in the Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb. I gave it 4/5 stars but no higher. This series is well written with interesting characters but the lack of an epic overall plot detracts from it. I don’t need to save the entire world but just trying to make ends meet or save a ship isn’t doing enough for me. I hope the final book ends well. I didn’t like the end of the Farseer Trilogy and I hope this finish is more satisfying.

Travis

Might as well be a Malazan regular
I finished Republic of Thieves yesterday and it was damn good. It didn't quite hit the heights of Lies but it was damn close for me. I do think overall I liked it a bit more than Red Seas. I really loved the two ongoing stories; while overall the plots mainly served to introduce us to Sabetha, it was great. And wow that ending set-up. This plot can go so many places now and it looks like we finally have the "big fantasy bad guy." What a cool introduction/set-up/origin for him. I don't know how I feel about the big Locke "reveal" in this book. I don't hate it, but it's not as interesting as it could have been in my opinion. I think overall I give this book a 9.5/10.

Today I'm starting Age of Assassins by RJ Barker. It doesn't look particularly amazing, but I've heard only good things and it will be a quick read nonetheless.

Matticus Primal

Today I'm starting Age of Assassins by RJ Barker. It doesn't look particularly amazing, but I've heard only good things and it will be a quick read nonetheless.
I really enjoyed AoA when I first read it, and yeah, everyone is over the moon for it. But the more I think about it, the more I see the similarities to Assassin's Apprentice. Which isn't really a bad thing since his plot moves at faster than a glacial pace. Plus, monster war mounts with antlers and claws is a plus.

But more than that, RJ Barker is a character himself. Seriously, listen to him on the Grim Tidings Podcast and see if you don't want to immediately go out and buy everything he's written.

Travis

Might as well be a Malazan regular
I really enjoyed AoA when I first read it, and yeah, everyone is over the moon for it. But the more I think about it, the more I see the similarities to Assassin's Apprentice. Which isn't really a bad thing since his plot moves at faster than a glacial pace. Plus, monster war mounts with antlers and claws is a plus.

But more than that, RJ Barker is a character himself. Seriously, listen to him on the Grim Tidings Podcast and see if you don't want to immediately go out and buy everything he's written.
I'm intrigued! I've only just started it and so far I'm not a big fan of the writing style, but it usually takes me time to warm up to new authors. Yeah I googled him and saw a few pictures and he definitely looks like a character :p

Cyphon

Finished The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan.

I mentioned earlier than the prologue held promise but unfortunately the book didn't quite live up to my hype. I would say all of the different elements you look for were solid but nothing ever went beyond that. The characters weren't bad but none were particularly memorable, the plot was interesting enough but no wow moments, and the magic system was interesting but very limited. Put another way this is like watching a boxer who is technically sound in the ring but has no knockout punch. You can appreciate the footwork and the jab but when the fight is over and they won by points you think to yourself "I would rather have watched Tyson bite someones ear off".

For those looking for a comparison to his first series and more particularly his first book Blood song, this definitely wasn't that. Not only in style but in quality either. Never found those peaks. I'll let you know how the 2nd one goes.

7/10

Matticus Primal

I'm intrigued! I've only just started it and so far I'm not a big fan of the writing style, but it usually takes me time to warm up to new authors. Yeah I googled him and saw a few pictures and he definitely looks like a character :p
I do a thing over at Fantasy Hive where authors put together playlists for their books. This one is for RJ's second book, but is pretty damn eclectic. Upon listening I went down what can only be described as a country music goth hole that got a bit weird.

Peat

I think a lot of emotions dragged out too long at times in the series but watch your tongue! Perrin is a favourite of mine lol.
I loved Perrin to begin with his but his character arc was a bit load of meh after The Shadow Rising.

Anyhoo - I've recently re-read

Feet of Clay - Great, fantastic book that keeps getting better. I think this is Pratchett's sweet spot of serious and silly, and I love watching Vimes get angry in Ankh-Morpork.

Echoes of the Great Song - Dark. So much darker than I'd remembered. And tragic. Its like David Gemmell co-wrote this one with Guy Gavriel Kay. A lot of run.

rudyjuly2

I loved Perrin to begin with his but his character arc was a bit load of meh after The Shadow Rising.

Anyhoo - I've recently re-read

Feet of Clay - Great, fantastic book that keeps getting better. I think this is Pratchett's sweet spot of serious and silly, and I love watching Vimes get angry in Ankh-Morpork.

Echoes of the Great Song - Dark. So much darker than I'd remembered. And tragic. Its like David Gemmell co-wrote this one with Guy Gavriel Kay. A lot of run.
Regarding Perrin

The Faile story line took a weak turn when she was kidnapped. And it did become brooding with Perrin trying to save her. Sort of like watching Spiderman save MJ for the 10th time.

But I loved his character overall and the scene when he first meets Faile's dad and he questions Perrin was great. Her dad was cool too.

Maark Abbott

Finished Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander The Dungeon and moved on to I've Been Killing Slimes for Three Hundred Years and Maxed Out My Level. Light novel titles are literal as fuck yo.

kenubrion

Plus, monster war mounts with antlers and claws is a plus.
Wow, Naomi Novik has the same mounts, antlers claws and big sharp teeth, in her new book Spinning Silver.

Looks like Age of Assassins is going to be next up after I finish the great Sword of Justice by Christian/Miles Cameron. Thanks for the recs on it you guys.

Peat

Wow, Naomi Novik has the same mounts, antlers claws and big sharp teeth, in her new book Spinning Silver.

Looks like Age of Assassins is going to be next up after I finish the great Sword of Justice by Christian/Miles Cameron. Thanks for the recs on it you guys.
I brought it yesterday and have fallen in love with it. There's nothing radically different or outstanding about it, but Barker writes really really well for my tastes. I know I'm hooked when I bother to take my kindle to my for toilet break at work...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I just finished Ready Player One. Took me just 2 days. It is one of the three "palate cleansers" I had planned to read in between Malazan books 9 and 10.

Ready Player One is a book that works for some people, but doesn't at all work for others. I'm in the first group. As a kid growing up in the late eighties and early nineties I enjoyed all the references in the book. I had myself a real geek out. The entire book is a blast from the past. Thing Stranger Things. I found myself playing eighties music and I dusted off my copy of the director's cut of Blade Runner.

Now the story itself isn't all too complex. Its rather predictable, there's a cooky cutter romance, there's a lot of slick one-liners. However, the book is fun, chock full of action and amazingly fast-paced. It felt a bit like the Red Rising series. And that's a compliment.

4 Stars (8/10).

I now started on palate cleanser number 2; 'a Canticle for Leibowitz' (yes, reconnecting with my fondness for dystopian or post-apocalyptic stuff).

Maark Abbott

I just finished Ready Player One. Took me just 2 days. It is one of the three "palate cleansers" I had planned to read in between Malazan books 9 and 10.

Ready Player One is a book that works for some people, but doesn't at all work for others. I'm in the first group. As a kid growing up in the late eighties and early nineties I enjoyed all the references in the book. I had myself a real geek out. The entire book is a blast from the past. Thing Stranger Things. I found myself playing eighties music and I dusted off my copy of the director's cut of Blade Runner.

Now the story itself isn't all too complex. Its rather predictable, there's a cooky cutter romance, there's a lot of slick one-liners. However, the book is fun, chock full of action and amazingly fast-paced. It felt a bit like the Red Rising series. And that's a compliment.

4 Stars (8/10).

I now started on palate cleanser number 2; 'a Canticle for Leibowitz' (yes, reconnecting with my fondness for dystopian or post-apocalyptic stuff).
Palate cleansers are sometimes necessary.

What I might do soon is sit and see what TRP stuff I have set to go - Probably Arbonne or Crown of Stars.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Palate cleansers are sometimes necessary.

What I might do soon is sit and see what TRP stuff I have set to go - Probably Arbonne or Crown of Stars.
I like Crown of Stars. It's a bog commitment though, it being quite a long series.

Matticus Primal

I brought it yesterday and have fallen in love with it. There's nothing radically different or outstanding about it, but Barker writes really really well for my tastes. I know I'm hooked when I bother to take my kindle to my for toilet break at work...
Well, the series just wrapped up recently, so you'll have plenty of toilet time.

I'm readying We Ride The Storm, which probably has the best cover IMO. As in I was showing it off to the wife yesterday. And man, can she write. Fun culture mashup that's off the beaten medieval European analogue path with more Chinese/ Mongol inspired cultures and a prostitute assassin who's possessed by a dead princess. All good stuff.

Oh yeah, it starts off with a treatise on the effort it takes at beheading with a knife which some people have objected to, so have your grimdark armor on if you attempt.