It's August 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

Peat

Journeyed there and back again
Well, the series just wrapped up recently, so you'll have plenty of toilet time.

I'm readying We Ride The Storm, which probably has the best cover IMO. As in I was showing it off to the wife yesterday. And man, can she write. Fun culture mashup that's off the beaten medieval European analogue path with more Chinese/ Mongol inspired cultures and a prostitute assassin who's possessed by a dead princess. All good stuff.

Oh yeah, it starts off with a treatise on the effort it takes at beheading with a knife which some people have objected to, so have your grimdark armor on if you attempt.
Took a sample.

Gonna finally get round to Godblind. Then maybe Tanniel's book.

Matticus Primal

Godblind from the author you interviewed and just put out her sequel this week? I'd tisk tisk you except I'm impressed.

I believe Tanniel's finished up the rough draft to book two, so looks like you've got LOADS of reading ahead of you.

Cyphon

Just finished The Legion of Flame by Anthony Ryan.

This was book 2 Of The Draconis Memoria and if you read my first review you can safely go ahead and paste it here without fear of missing much of anything. I do have some added thoughts though.

- This book offers a new POV on the villain side of things but in my opinion it doesn't really add much to the story. One chapter of it could have covered everything you needed to know about the dragons and how they operate but instead we got multiple chapters that didn't add any depth to the story.

- Off the top of my head I can't remember many books where the author doesn't try to throw a twist in or wow you with some information. I am not getting the impression Ryan is trying for any of that here. Everything is very predictable and straight forward and the "payoff" never really feels worth it.

I am giving this a 7/10. I am not sure it shouldn't be lower but if I am viewing this like grades in school it is the lowest possible C. Which to me says you are doing just enough to get by and that feels right in line with how I view this book. Just enough to make me go on but after what I considered a very weak finish in Queen of Fire and my general apathy towards this series I will not be picking up anymore of Ryans work in the future without some very strong convincing.

Maark Abbott

I like Crown of Stars. It's a bog commitment though, it being quite a long series.
The books are the right length and the right tonality too. I really don't like the current industry shift toward short, thin, overly fast-paced stuff.

Although on that subject I'm reading the Re:Zero manga again and fuuuuuuuck it got dark as hell in issue 3-3. Even moreso than usual.

GreyMouser

I've been reading Acts of Caine and enjoying it as it picks up speed at about 20% in, but just bought and started Bloody Rose and am now tempted to stop Acts of Caine until I finish Bloody Rose.

Decisions, decisions...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
The books are the right length and the right tonality too. I really don't like the current industry shift toward short, thin, overly fast-paced stuff.

Although on that subject I'm reading the Re:Zero manga again and fuuuuuuuck it got dark as hell in issue 3-3. Even moreso than usual.
I haven't noticed this trend to be honest. If anything the industry trends towards long, bloated and slow-paced series. Often multiple book series of which the story could just as well have been told in a single book.

Not saying this applies to Crown of Stars by the way. It's a good series and the pacing is excellent. With my original post I just meant to say that if you start on such a series (6-7 books I believe) you have to be willing to invest some time into it, as it'll take you a while to read it all.

Maark Abbott

I haven't noticed this trend to be honest. If anything the industry trends towards long, bloated and slow-paced series. Often multiple book series of which the story could just as well have been told in a single book.

Not saying this applies to Crown of Stars by the way. It's a good series and the pacing is excellent. With my original post I just meant to say that if you start on such a series (6-7 books I believe) you have to be willing to invest some time into it, as it'll take you a while to read it all.
I have to disagree there. All the new stuff coming out lately (i.e. the last couple of years) is zoomy, thin, fast-paced and lacks that critical girth that I need in fantasy. I can only think of one 2018 release that's even on my radar, bar that, it looks like an empty year for fantasy.

You can actually see the trend in action RE Kharkanas, where the bleatings of the Unready have stalled it in favour of the Karsa trilogy. People don't want to think when they read these days, and that makes them WEEPERS.

Peat

They're certainly veering away from big series with newer authors - don't want to back them until they know what they have.

I've been reading Acts of Caine and enjoying it as it picks up speed at about 20% in, but just bought and started Bloody Rose and am now tempted to stop Acts of Caine until I finish Bloody Rose.

Decisions, decisions...
Read both until one steals your attention.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I haven't been reading much at all. My plan for August was to read the Endymion, but alas the month is gone. All my energy ever since May is going toward learning German, so when I'm not working with textbooks, I'm consuming the material in German, whether it be German TV show Stromberg (it's like BBC's Office) or by listening to German bands on Spotify and looking up the lyrics. I did find some pretty cool bands like Kraftklub, Von Wegen Lisbeth and Swiss & Die Andern to name a few.
But I have a 10 day break that started today from German course I'm attending, and I can't wait to get cosy with a cup of tea and my kindle. The weather is bad, raining and quite chilly, but it's perfect for quiet afternoons with a book.

rudyjuly2

This final book of the Liveship Traders trilogy has taken me awhile. Still only halfway through this 900 page book. Some parts are finally starting to pick up and come together but I’m definitely taking a break from Robin Hobb for awhile. This is the least epic trilogy I’ve ever read. I need a little more excitement than what is being provided, especially considering how long each book is.

Khartun

I haven't been reading much at all. My plan for August was to read the Endymion, but alas the month is gone. All my energy ever since May is going toward learning German, so when I'm not working with textbooks, I'm consuming the material in German, whether it be German TV show Stromberg (it's like BBC's Office) or by listening to German bands on Spotify and looking up the lyrics. I did find some pretty cool bands like Kraftklub, Von Wegen Lisbeth and Swiss & Die Andern to name a few.
But I have a 10 day break that started today from German course I'm attending, and I can't wait to get cosy with a cup of tea and my kindle. The weather is bad, raining and quite chilly, but it's perfect for quiet afternoons with a book.
RAMMSTEIN!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
That's great Alucard and kudos for immersing yourself in German culture and language like that. It really is the best way to learn a new language.

And once you've mastered German you can try your hand at Dutch! It's very similar.

Have you considered reading a simple fantasy book in German to further hone your skills? Like The Hobbit for example?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Haha, a lot of folks that learn German actually listen to them. But I kind of stay away, because even though metal is my favorite music genre, it's not the best choice for the spoken language. I prefer hip hop and indy rock or even punk rock for everyday spoken German. Especially in German hip hop, they speak/rhyme, not sing, so that's great for catching the right pronunciation. When they are singing it's harder to catch that, and when they are screaming well...you get the picture :)

That's great Alucard and kudos for immersing yourself in German culture and language like that. It really is the best way to learn a new language.

And once you've mastered German you can try your hand at Dutch! It's very similar.

Have you considered reading a simple fantasy book in German to further hone your skills? Like The Hobbit for example?
Hey you know what they say, when in Rome..
But in all honesty the more I learn it, the more I like German. There are so many ways to express in it. I'm having lots of fun learning it and that's the most important imo for information retention.
Maybe Dutch would be a nice challenge, but you guys don't give foreigners much incentive as you are the country in Europe with highest percentage of English speakers outside of UK :D
Here I meet Germans on the regular that don't speak English or their English is very poor. Or just Germans who prefer to communicate with foreigners in German if possible even though their English is great. But also people who know English, but are also learning German so they prefer to communicate in German since they are trying to improve that. They only switch to English when they get stumped, so they use it as a crutch for a certain phrase and then just continue on with German.

Haven't tried reading fantasy, sticking with detective/murder mysteries short stories, as I'm trying to up my fluency with everyday spoken language.
Hobbit might be a good start at higher level, I just finished B1 level (EU proficiency scale for EU languages, don't know if you're familiar with that). Maybe when I'm done with B2, I'll give it a go. It's one of my favorite books after all.

Peat

Godblind from the author you interviewed and just put out her sequel this week? I'd tisk tisk you except I'm impressed.

I believe Tanniel's finished up the rough draft to book two, so looks like you've got LOADS of reading ahead of you.
I finished Godblind and thought it was slick and well written except for the parts where she explains the setting and the characters' motivations, which is kinda empty, and that's kinda a big problem.

Matticus Primal

I finished Godblind and thought it was slick and well written except for the parts where she explains the setting and the characters' motivations, which is kinda empty, and that's kinda a big problem.
Yeah, I've not read it (although I've read/ listened to a few of her interviews), but it sounds like a hard concept to pull off, what with everyone basically following the dark gods. Makes empathy a bit more difficult when everyone's sort of evil.

Peat

Yeah, I've not read it (although I've read/ listened to a few of her interviews), but it sounds like a hard concept to pull off, what with everyone basically following the dark gods. Makes empathy a bit more difficult when everyone's sort of evil.
Oh, there's a lot of non-evil people (so far). In fact, if anything, I've been really rather surprised by how black and white the teams have been. But those who are on Team Evil, yeah, not much empathy there. Or even interest. I didn't empathise with the Forsaken in the Wheel of Time, but I was intrigued by them.

In fact... if I was to summarise Godblind, I'd describe it as kinda like Joe Abercrombie taking a bunch of not entirely legal stimulants then deciding to re-write the Wheel of Time. Hopefully that appeals to as many as it puts off.